Other Equipment

Reverb Pedal

Best Reverb pedal is the footswitch that comes with the Little Kahuna.

– Billy Zoom

No doubt Billy! No doubt. Unfortunately, that Little Kahuna footswitch demands some relatively big bucks before one can enjoy the supreme pleasure of stomping on it. Some day though...

If you can put up with the digital teeth.....like a really fast delay...the Boss fender63 pedal works great and has a surfy drip. AND it works well when backed off for a bit of reverb ambience, not just a one trick surf sound. Affordable and under estimated. Big boxes, tubes and springs like Billy's are preferable of course!

If you can put up with the digital teeth.....like a really fast delay...the Boss fender63 pedal works great and has a surfy drip. AND it works well when backed off for a bit of reverb ambience, not just a one trick surf sound. Affordable and under estimated. Big boxes, tubes and springs like Billy's are preferable of course!

– Vince_Ray

are you ok though w that pedal turning your signal into 1's and 0's?

Yep. Sounds great

– Vince_Ray

Prayer candles have been lit and hail mary's thrown!

in any case text me, we should talk.. Jr Barnyard is about to go coal mining. I've been hanging around Kid Ramos and the Memphis kings now and then, and last week over Cochinita Pibil and Fat Tire Amber ale, I was watching Kid Ramos running his Harmony w P13s into my nocturne F-bomb out to a silvertone head and tweed fender cab. The lights went on about his WC hollowbody w verb tone.. "aint surfy, aint hipster stalagmite caverns.. I want THAT haunted reverb dynamic Kid gets when he hits the strings hard or digs into a passing chord, otherwise it doesnt really speak out ..just sits there w a bit of dimension" Reminds me of walking into the mouth of the mining tunnels at calico ghost town when your talking and then all of a sudden your voice feels a bit stereo like and if you laugh or sniffle too hard theres that ambient "Whack" that hits the walls and travels away from you.. Dig what I'm layin down here sorta? Dirty clean octal tube, kinda overheated valco amp w a bad reverb tank on one rusty spring? I dont know what I'm talking about but I my ears do and this pedal will do the dooo

Don't knock it 'till ya try it. I've been using outboard tube reverb for many years...currently a '70s Fender silverface unit that is really killer. If I don't feel like schlepping it to rehearsal, short set festival thing, or a small pickup gig, this pedal suits me fine. I guess the caveat is, I'm a Blues player and not a big reverb user. I never turn it off, but I just use it to create some girth (I guess)...I only set it on drench once or twice a night. Once I mistakenly had the pedal cranked up too much at a festival(you know...10 minute quickie set up between bands), then hit a boost and really pushed it. After our set, the sound guy came running up to the stage to check my pedals because he wanted to know what pedal I was using that sounded so killer even when using so much. I also learned what order to put boost and reverb on a pedal board that day! I'm not super fluent in pedalese. Generally amp, reverb unit and a cable to connect them.

Thinking on Kid Ramos ... incredibly tasteful player. His reverb sound sets a standard, is always on my mind. Seemed the only way to get somewhere like that tonally is outboard reverb. The exception I've found is the Topanga. It's all in the tone knob on that pedal, and a extra touch of volume.

I ran mine at 18 volts, but somehow prefer it at 9. With the volume at 10 oclock, tone down there or just a bit higher, it's one type of reverb. (I like the dwell at 1 oclock, mix at noon.) Turn the tone knob to 2 oclock or so, up the volume a touch, it gets to that driven, cutting through outboard sound I hear from the Kid. Very cool pedal.

MD

Register Sign in to join the conversation