Other Equipment

Reverb Pedal

I've been using a new reverb pedal for almost two months now and really like it. The Electro-harmonix Cathedral stereo reverb. You can tweak the knobs and get some great sounds. I learned about it viewing some tube videos. The echo mode is a nice delay too. A bit expensive, but worth it.

might check it out... although I like my nano Holy Grail just fine

Catalinbread Topanga here. Incredible little box. One mode only (spring). Right mode though. I've heard of the Cathedral but never had the chance to check it out. How about a little more by way of a review?

might check it out... although I like my nano Holy Grail just fine

– DCBirdMan

Yeah, I have that Nano Holy Grail and it is perfect. A bare bones pedal...does what it is supposed to. And does it well.

I also have the newest version of the BOSS reverb pedals, the RV-6. I bought it for the SHIMMER feature. WOW! Out of this world. The reverb features are fantastic, but that shimmer thing is incredible.

General - per your request. I’ll give a little review and I recommend trying it out and listening to various demo’s on your tube. So hard for me to describe tone.

Initially I was looking for a pedal with a good plate reverb. I have an old Boss RV-3 with a plate mode I like and so bought the RV-6. After 3 days at home I returned it because I liked the plate on the RV-3 more. The shimmer is cool on the RV-6 and it’s a nice pedal, but for me it was too close to what I already had. The RV-3 does not have shimmer or spring that the RV-6 has.

Another try was the nano holy grail with a single knob and the little toggle switch that selects spring, hall or flerb. A store had a used one for $40.00 and I gave it a quick 30 second try, liked it and brought it home. Tried it at home and found that the toggle switch didn’t work, but I liked the spring mode a lot. The holy grail was easy to use and sounded great. I returned it and bought the Cathedral.

The Cathedral has 8 modes (grail spring, accu spring, hall, room, plate, reverse, grail flerb, and echo) and 6 dials (blend, reverb time, damping/tone, feedback, pre-delay and mode). I love the 2 springs, room, plate and echo modes. I don’t use the other modes. There is a learning curve on using the pedal with all its dials and the manual could be better. Each mode can have its own user preset, find a setting you like and push a button to save. What I like about the pedal: 1. All the knobs provide a lot of variations. Lots of sound change for little dial movements. 2. The pre-delay is very sensitive and easy to tweak, up to 2 seconds pre-delay. You can tap in the tempo but I use the dial instead. Very easy to find the spot you like. 3. Feedback is pretty typical. 4. Echo mode can be set as a delay and if want to you can add reverb to the delay. Very nice. 5. The thing I like the most is the damping/tone applied to the modes. It is such a great tone control. I find the tone control on some pedals give to much treble or mud. I don’t hear any mud on this pedal. When playing alternate bass finger style I am able to change the bass string response to get very different tones (more or less treble, bass string echo/reverb) and have sweet trebles. Hard to explain, but Chet used to do that. Some songs more of a snap and percussion on the bass strings. If you play Chet's music, you will love this pedal.
6. The 2 spring modes are just great. I like them more than the plate mode.
7. The blend dial is very responsive.
8. The Cathedral can be set-up to be a holy grail and the manual describes how to do that. Then you can tweak the holy grail some more. Cool.

Hope that helps.

Another HUGE Topanga fan, use 18volts to really get the pedal working well. I use just a splash with a Keeley Mag Echo, and it is classic slap back. I also can get drip, real actual drip like a tank. Can't recommend it enough.

Nice review Gary. I'm not much one for a lot of knob twisting, so the Cathedral would probably be overkill for me. Like Diggey, I deeply enjoy the mojo of the Topanga, and barring getting an outboard tank, will probably stick with it for the foreseeable future. Thanks again for the fine review and enjoy that EH...

The Fender/Boss 63 Reverb. WOW! Through the 59 bassman, is pure tonal beauty!

Another Catalinbread Topanga fan here. I've had a few and I like this one best...so far.

I think a Topanga will be my next pedal. I don't always want the drippy spring sound, but I'm assuming turning down the tone will get a more mellow ambient reverb. And then I can dial in a more spring-like tone when I want it.

I've had three Holy Grails and that's enough for me. All three crapped out on me. It can't just be bad luck.

I love my topanga. But I can't use it at low volume gigs, it is so touch sensitive that it often disappears. I'm constantly adjusting the volume on my guitar at this gig and every time I adjust the volume on the guitar I have to readjust the topanga. So I had to quit using it at this gig. I just got the Analog Alien Rumble Seat, and while the reverb sounds no where as good as the topanga, it does work really well for this particular purpose. But playing at a whisper quiet volume while maintaining a halfway decent tone is incredibly difficult to do.

Digitech Digiverb does everything I need.

I use a tank whenever I can, Topanga if I can't bring a tank. Another really nice and usable pedal is the MXR reverb, the spring and plate settings really work and are very easy to dial in.

Has anyone compared the Topanga and the Strymon Flint? I've been eyeing the Topanga for a while, but I'd spend the extra on a Flint just to get that harmonic tremolo.

Has anyone compared the Topanga and the Strymon Flint? I've been eyeing the Topanga for a while, but I'd spend the extra on a Flint just to get that harmonic tremolo.

– Otter

The Topanga gets the spring thing much better than the Flint. The harmonic trem on the Flint is amazing though. I still traded it out though because I was chasing the spring sound. I had a Topanga for a little while but I ended up with a Subdecay Super Spring Theory that IMO gets more drippy and splashy than the Topanga, even at 18v, annnnnnd it has a room setting. Also the ability to turn the tails on or off.

I use a tank whenever I can, Topanga if I can't bring a tank. Another really nice and usable pedal is the MXR reverb, the spring and plate settings really work and are very easy to dial in.

– WB

Yep, that's all that I have, a good old "tank".

I bought mine about 15 years ago, when prices weren't nuts yet. I've had many amps come and go, but I always keep the tank.

– WB

Wow, the demos make that pedal sound really good. For the same price as the Topanga, it's not a bad choice if you see yourself using the other modes available.

It is a great pedal Otter, and not finicky to dial in. It doesn't do the outboard tank sim as well as some others, but it's ideal for people who are not after the "retro" extremes, but want to dial in some air, or indeed use some of the other modes on it. (one or two of those are going to sound awful dated in a couple of years though, haha)

Still happy with the Boss Frv 63 pedal. Everything at the famous '6' and just does the job for drippy surf tunes live. Also like the (yeah, I know) Reverb Machine for cheap and cheerful verbs. Great spring sounds and other weirdo stuff. Sucks tone a bit. Tone is a lucky guy....yikes, sorry about that. Brought up in the 70's etc

It is a great pedal Otter, and not finicky to dial in. It doesn't do the outboard tank sim as well as some others, but it's ideal for people who are not after the "retro" extremes, but want to dial in some air, or indeed use some of the other modes on it. (one or two of those are going to sound awful dated in a couple of years though, haha)

– WB

Still, for the price, I'm inclined to spend the extra $100 for the Flint, just to get three awesome tremolos. Like you said, I don't need the extremes: I don't play guitar in a surf band, and I only ever turned the reverb on my Twin to 3 or 4. And I certainly don't need the goofy 'shimmer' and 'pad' settings.

I use a tank but was really impressed by the Solid Gold Surf Rider ii. bought one for my nephew

Just to be Mr Poo-poo, I don't like the Topanga at all. Sounds like a bunch of rapid delays joined together to me.

Actually I don't really like most reverb pedals. I sometimes use a TC HOF Mini set to plate, but mostly use a Strymon Flint on the plate setting. I always seem to prefer the plate settings, and find the plate on the Flint to sound more like what I am used to than any spring reverb setting. I also really like the control I have with the Flint. Funny, because I don't like their dedicated reverb pedal!

The bias-vary tremolo on the Flint is also excellent. I'm very picky with trems but the Flint is as good as I have heard from a pedal. The Flint won't get you those super drippy surf tones but that's fine by me. The plate setting sounds a lot like my old Super Reverb with less noise, so I'm happy.

The on-board tube driven reverb on my deLisle Nickel Box is excellent but I bought a Boss Fender '63 pedal for super drippy surf sounds. I found mine used/mint on fleabay for an excellent price. It really does the wet drippy surf stuff great and other less extreme sounds can be dialed in also. My only critism of the Boss '63 Fender 'Verb pedal is it doesn't play well with dirt pedals. For some reason it filters out the dirt. One of these days I'll experiment with putting an OD pedal after the Boss '63 in my effects chain. At the time I bought the Boss pedal I just couldn't afford the Catalin Bread Topanga which is perfectly transparent with dirt pedals.

Best Reverb pedal is the footswitch that comes with the Little Kahuna.

Register Sign in to join the conversation