Other Equipment

Replacing Case Lining with Leopard Print

I have had a TKL case hanging around for a while that came with a used guitar, but it smelled pretty funky and the lining was really beat up and stained. So, inspired by some of Voodooholly's case remodels, I picked up some leopard print fleece and decided to replace the lining.

I was able to remove the old lining without destroying the existing padding.

I cut the replacement pieces to fit and used spray glue to attach them to the case.

It was messy work using the spray glue, especially because the material would shed like crazy when I trimmed it. But once I got the excess off, it doesn't seem like it will shed.

I haven't replaced the storage box yet. I'll probably revisit that part at a later date when I have more time.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with results.

Pretty spiffy.

Needs gold piping!

I like it and another vote for gold piping!

YES ON THE GOLD PIPING!!!!!!!

But seriously folks - depending on the guitar that goes in this Gabor-inspired case, i suggest leaving it open for a remarkably long time. The solvents in your spray will far better suit you destroying the environment at large vs. the environment in a closed case.

Unless it was some sort of water based spray, you will want to let this out-gas for a good month.

In my opinion.

I bet the gold piping guy still thinks it was the actual piping that drew such backlash.

Nice job on the case interior.

Thanks, guys. I was careful to avoid gold piping.

I've left it open for a a couple days and will continue to let it air out.

Now I'd like to try to find a way to add that vanilla scent most TKL cases have...

Some Cedar Creek cases used what seemed to be a water based casein adhesive. The long term effect was a smell of old baby barf.

Not sure if was recent barf from an old baby or old barf from what was a young baby at the time of said barf.

It looks great and I'm not usually a fan of leopard print.

Some Cedar Creek cases used what seemed to be a water based casein adhesive. The long term effect was a smell of old baby barf.

Not sure if was recent barf from an old baby or old barf from what was a young baby at the time of said barf.

– chrisp2

Funky smelling baby barf, regardless of age, is always a nasty aroma to contend with while playing your guitar! In my case it would shut down any attempts to work out arrangements.

The leopard skin looks cool!

Great job! I like it a lot.

Awesome!!!! I would like to have some Cringer's fur in my cases

I can see how much work went into this. Probably the coolest case ever. I wish I had your patience.

Awesome guitar case!

Ha! So cool. Why didn't you use real leopard skin?

Thanks, guys! No leopards were harmed to make this case. I couldn't wear it on clothing, but I like it for a case.

Another inspiration for this case was the case for the Billie Joe Armstrong signature Les Paul Junior. I just prefer a Gretsch to be inside.

Here's a pic of the BJA case.

I have had a TKL case hanging around for a while that came with a used guitar, but it smelled pretty funky and the lining was really beat up and stained. So, inspired by some of Voodooholly's case remodels, I picked up some leopard print fleece and decided to replace the lining.

– magnet

It's nice ,to read that I (or projects of mine) was the inspiration. You've done a great job : ) So it was worth,to hang around here.

It's always worth hangin around here. I learn new stuff all the time! My problem now is, I want a guitar covered in fake leopard fur. Kinda like that cow covered penguin that cam almost got.....anyone know where that guitar is?

It's nice ,to read that I (or projects of mine) was the inspiration. You've done a great job : ) So it was worth,to hang around here.

– Voodooholly

Absolutely! If I remember right, you did a tiger stripes lining, is that right? Would love to see it again if you have a pic.

Rooster from Baretta called and wants his coat back.

Great job!

Register Sign in to join the conversation