Other guitar-y things

Recording At Home - Heaphones

Didnt want to derail Kevin's recording thread. Any recommendations on headphones for tracking vocals? It's for someone has been recording at home for about a year, and is using cheap ear buds. Would like to keep it under $150. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sony MDR-V150. $20 - $30 per pair. Buy 2 or 3 pairs and you're good for years.

They sound great for the money.

Depends on your needs and aspiration level. A recording headphone doesn't necessarily have to sound "good". The Beyerdynamic DT 770 is one of the studio standards for a reason. I have one and like it a lot. It's very true to the original signal and comfortable to wear. I don't know how much it is where you live, though but should be in your budget.

I use Sony MDR-V6. Had 'em for years, industry standard for sound guys. Flat response, comfortable, and last I checked, in your price range. Test out as many as you can. Both Sennheiser and Beyer make good gear as well.

Avoid things like Beats. The most expensive part of Beats headphones is the package. They have steel weights in them to just make them heavier.

Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 are great reasonably priced headphones. They are reasonably priced, sound good, and don't leak sound out. That's important because you don't want your rhythm tracks to bleed into the recording microphone.

I use Beyerdynamic DT880s. They're around $250 new but there are lots of barely used ones for $150 or less. I always buy used when I can and these don't color the sound like previous ones I've had. Really like them.

Mine are Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. About $99 from most sources, and excellent balanced sound plus sturdy construction. I even take them with me when I do sessions in studios that are equipped, just because I like them so much.

I like to use brighter sounding closed backs for tracking. Like Weldon said, you don't want leakage. I feel like I hear my voice and sing better with brighter cans, but I mix with semi-open backs for a truer/better sound. Sony MDR 7506 for tracking and AKG K240 for playback work for me.

Sony 7506 if you want to hear the truth.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered the 7506. I'm sure my daughter-in-law will enjoy them.

I like to use brighter sounding closed backs for tracking. Like Weldon said, you don't want leakage. I feel like I hear my voice and sing better with brighter cans, but I mix with semi-open backs for a truer/better sound. Sony MDR 7506 for tracking and AKG K240 for playback work for me.

– hilosean

Very similar to me, I record with MDR 7506, and listen back on AKG K712.

I use AKG K240's for pretty much everything in my project studio.

Register Sign in to join the conversation