Other Equipment

Pure Nickel strings

The other day I broke a string on my Tokai Love Rock and I had no spares left.

I thought it might be time to try something different, so I went shopping. I stumbled upon Pure Nickel (D'addario) and supposedly these strings would make the guitar sound more warm and mellow.

This Love Rock of mine has high output ceramic pickups. This makes it sound a bit bright by Les Paul standards and a bit aggressive. It could use a bit of mellowing out.

So I put a set of Pure Nickels on it and they do not disappoint. The highs are rounded off a bit more and the bridge pickup sounds like it went from 14K to 10.5K. It's way nicer with low and medium gain and it's still equally nice at high gain. Other than the rounded off highs there's no loss in tone or clarity either.

This guitar became a lot more useable and likeable.

Great to hear as my local shop just ordered a case of the DA Pure Nickel in my preferred gauge. I really liked my Newtone Archtops strings but wanted to try something a little less expensive.

D' Adds take their set quickly, and reach end-of-life sooner than other Pure Nickel strings.

The value they bring is for those who always want a fresh set as their price reflects a more frequent change.

I have and I do buy D' Adds frequently.

A foremost brand of great strings...

I alternate between Pure Nickels and the GFS burnished nickels (NOT the "rockers") - both great strings, but the GFS strings last longer.

long time pure nickel string advocate…d'addario also makes fender strings…including the classic fender pure nickel 150 series…the d'addario pure nickel sets differ ever so slightly in gauge..so that the classic fender 9-42 set would be 9-41 under the d'addario name…otherwise same string, and fender is sometimes better discounted

another good pure nickel is the dr pure blues.pure nickel with true vintage round core center…

in europe, i'd buy thomastik or pyramid pure nickel round cores.. but premium priced stateside

cheers

ps- i like the gfs "burnished nickels" too…thinner core ie. more flexible than nickel rockers

Following Billy Zoom's advice on here, I went to Fender 150's four or five years ago. They're all I use now, they're what I wanted to hear all along, and nickel plated steel just sounds weird and bright and agressive and modern to me now.

I used the GHS Burnished Nickels on the 6120 until I went back to a wound 3rd, then there was no set heavy enough...

I liked those, too.

yeah, been using fender 150 series many many years ..was worried when d'addario took over production..not cause they are not a great string company, used them for years too..but change can be tricky..but new d'addario made fender 150's are equally good…

cheers

Following Billy Zoom's advice on here, I went to Fender 150's four or five years ago. They're all I use now, they're what I wanted to hear all along, and nickel plated steel just sounds weird and bright and agressive and modern to me now.

– WB

These are all I use also or EB pure nickel if I can't find the 150's. Overall just a silky,smooth tone that's pleasing.

yeah, been using fender 150 series many many years ..was worried when d'addario took over production..not cause they are not a great string company, used them for years too..but change can be tricky..but new d'addario made fender 150's are equally good…

cheers

– neatone

D'Addario makes them now? Good. Maybe I'll try them again. Last time I bought Fender strings, around 15 years ago, I couldn't even get a full night's play time before they went dead.

I like the EB pure nickel "Classic Slinky" in yellow, but I always end up buying a crapload of XL's or Regular Slinky's when they fall below $3/set, and that tides me over to the next sale. They sound pretty good too.

long time pure nickel string advocate…d'addario also makes fender strings…including the classic fender pure nickel 150 series…the d'addario pure nickel sets differ ever so slightly in gauge..so that the classic fender 9-42 set would be 9-41 under the d'addario name…otherwise same string, and fender is sometimes better discounted

another good pure nickel is the dr pure blues.pure nickel with true vintage round core center…

in europe, i'd buy thomastik or pyramid pure nickel round cores.. but premium priced stateside

cheers

ps- i like the gfs "burnished nickels" too…thinner core ie. more flexible than nickel rockers

– neatone

I'm a DR Pure Blues user. Great vintage tones. For more modern, the DR High Beams are quite nice.

I just found out that Mark Dronge (son of Guild founder) is the founder/president of DR.

I'm a big fan of pure nickel wound strings also. Curt Mangan makes good sounding pure nickel sets and I like the Gibson Vintage Re-issue Pure Nickels also. GFS Burnished Nickel Rockers are my go to strings for Teles. Trying out a set of DR Pure Blues 10-46's currently on my Guild X175B and liking the tones I'm getting from them.

Dunlap pure nickel strings are very good, and so are GHS Nickel Rockers. I don't see any reason for using non-nickel strings unless you're playing a classical guitar with nylons.

I use the Newtone pure nickels - both round cores and hex ores depending on the guitar. Here in the UK the price is ok.

The Ernie Ball Rock n' Roll pure nickels are good too - maybe a little brighter.

Is it just me or does anybody else find they get more sustain/longer decay with pure nickel than steel?

Wow, I had no idea nickel strings had such a following.

Has anyone here put them on a filtertron 6120? If so, what are the results?

I'm a bit worried it would lose it's punch.

I was running Mangan Pure Nickels on my 6116PTV Power Tenny but when I had the frets leveled and re-crowned, the luthier put on a set of D'addario XL110's on it (ala Brian Setzer) and I'm liking the extra brightness I'm getting with the Powertrons, especially on the low E and A......more of the classic Gretsch Filter growl and twang with the Nickel plated strings.

I've recently become a convert to pure nickel. Basically, I have to grab whatever brand the local store is carrying. . .currently playing DR.

I put Pyramid "12's" Pure Nickel roundwound on the 6120 this last change...

I am liking them more than I thought I would.

Bought on sale from Elderly a while back...

Wow, I had no idea nickel strings had such a following.

Has anyone here put them on a filtertron 6120? If so, what are the results?

I'm a bit worried it would lose it's punch.

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I've been using D'Addario EPN115s on my 6120SSU for several years now.

They take the 'icepick' tendencies out of the TV Classics beautifully and give it a richer, fuller sound.

I've been using D'Addario EPN115s on my 6120SSU for several years now.

They take the 'icepick' tendencies out of the TV Classics beautifully and give it a richer, fuller sound.

– Timthom62

Then they're definitely worth a try.

Thanks!

EPN21's is the set I went with for the 6120.

Have also used the XL115w's off and on with a few of my Electric herd...

I use the EXP's regularly with the acoustics.

After using Black Diamond strings, even barbed wire is a good choice. I've been using GHS strings for decades---made in Battle Creek, Michigan, just down the road from Kalamazoo. They made Fender's strings for awhile. I like nickel strings as well. There is only one person on here---Ellengtrgrl?---that has a nickel allergy that can't use them.
D'Addario has been around for four hundred years, so, I'd think that they'd have a pretty good handle on things.

Tried and liked GHS Burnished Nickels, one day I was in GC looking at their string selection and the salesdude asked if he could help me find anything, so I asked if they had GHS Burnished Nickel, to which he replied in total puzzlement "Barnacled Strings?" Some things, ya just never forget hearing. Like most GHS strings, they're quite nice. Juststrings had a promotion not long ago for SIT Nickel PowerWound for $3 and change, and a buy-one, get-one deal, so I bought as many sets as I could at $1.75 or so a set, wish I could've bought more, as I've finally gone through them. I like those a lot. I missed out on Billy's Fender 150 recommendation, that'll be my next string try-out.

Frank, the Fender 150's are a little strange : the wound strings have higher tension than most brands. Before I switched to Fender 150's, I played D'Addario XL 11's forever. Now I play a Fender 150 set, but 10's - I switch out the high E and B for 11 and 14, but the wound strings, even though they're thinner, have the same tension as the D'Addario 11's I was used to. I like the effect of thinner strings with higher tension, they twang like nothing else I've tried.

try the ghs burnished nickels..they have a thin core..low tension..also the thomastiks…

ernie ball pure nickels are also lower tension and very bright for pure nickel..good transition string, if you are used to nps but want to try pure nickels..also readily available

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation