Other Equipment

Pedal repair question

My Boss CS-2 EDIT IT IS A CE-2 chorus has a strange fault. It works fine when powered by a battery. When plugged into the 9vdc on my pedal board it won’t work and kills power to the entire board.

I took the back off and didn’t see any obvious shorts in the wires or abraded insulation. Any thoughts what could cause this problem?

Thanks!

Wrong supply(?) The CS-2 is ACA. Does your supply have a 12 volt/ACA setting?

I'll check this. The pedal has worked on this board in the past, though.

Wrong polarity on the power jack?

Wrong supply(?) The CS-2 is ACA. Does your supply have a 12 volt/ACA setting?

– Charlie Vegas

This! Does it work when you have TWO Boss pedals plugged in? If so it is a ACA 12v issue.

It does not work with two Boss pedals plugged in. I'll check the polarities tomorrow. Thank you!

This! Does it work when you have TWO Boss pedals plugged in? If so it is a ACA 12v issue.

– Johnny_Atomic

I think that should be two or more daisy-chained.

My Boss CS-2 EDIT IT IS A CE-2 chorus has a strange fault. It works fine when powered by a battery. When plugged into the 9vdc on my pedal board it won’t work and kills power to the entire board.

I took the back off and didn’t see any obvious shorts in the wires or abraded insulation. Any thoughts what could cause this problem?

Thanks!

– Mark G

definitives:

1 you are supposed to be using a proper power supply and a 9v adaptor is wrong. These older boss pedals used an ACA 12V DC power supply. Its not functioning correctly at 9v using dc power. You can purchase a replacement via jameco, they still make 12V DC 2.1mm canon plug (-)tip 200mA power supply. More recent multi power supply boxes have a 12v ACA switch too boot.

or

2. Modify the pedal to accept 9v, its simple.

In the CS-2 it's R38 (470 ohms) and D2 (1S2473) that need to be removed and jumpered. Or you can jumper pads 11 and 12 at the end of the board and leave the parts in place. This will allow the pedal to receive full power using a standard Boss style power supply PSA 9v dc cannon (-)tip 200mA pwr

I need to figure out how to do the ACA 9v mod for my boss HM2 heavy metal.

I think that should be two or more daisy-chained.

– Charlie Vegas

Yes, I did not state this very eloquently.

I’m an idiot. I have a CE 2. Sorry for the misinformation!

I’m an idiot. I have a CE 2. Sorry for the misinformation!

– Mark G

CE-2 is also ACA.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I found a simple mod, similar to what Tavo describes above, to convert to 9vdc.

Will you lose headroom switching from 12v to 9v?

That is a good question and I don't know the answer.

Will you lose headroom switching from 12v to 9v?

– Rhythmisking

It is my understanding that they were internally stepping the voltage down the 9v.

Register Sign in to join the conversation