Other Equipment

Pedal Board Suitcase 2.0

So I made another Pedal Board Suitcase using another vintage suitcase that I picked up at a Yard Sale. The Suitcase appearance was too good to pass up for a cool retro Guitar pedal board. The Graphics on this with the old Tweed and leather trim were very unique. The Case is solid wood construction which made it very sturdy and easy to Fab up. I used my experience from my first Suitcase build to make this one even better. Funny how the 2nd time around was easier, enjoyable and alot more functional.

I think I gonna make another one if I find a cool enough suitcase.

And the board itself separate from the lid which was once the bottom of the case.

Looking pretty fantastic to me.

I am just about to start a similar project and I have started looking for an old suitcase on the old eBay. There are a lot of overpriced cases on there so I might have to get up early and get to the local car boot sales in our area.

Have you padded inside the lid? It looks like there is some kind of cushioning under the fabric lining.

Great job.

I found a similar suitcase at the thrift store I wanted to turn into a pedal board carrier. I even went and built a board perfectly sized for it, but (in what my father would call a "bonehead move") I didn't leave enough space for the pedals on the board to fit in the suitcase. Oops.

Here's the board anyway:

Love this! I have one from a guy who used to make them in Toronto. He made the boards too to fit perfectly.

A little later I had the idea to source a vintage vinyl suitcase (like a Samson). They were easy to find on eBay. I use it now for accessories like cables, iPad and holder, towels, etc. Tough as nails and I never worry about a little rain.

Looking pretty fantastic to me.

I am just about to start a similar project and I have started looking for an old suitcase on the old eBay. There are a lot of overpriced cases on there so I might have to get up early and get to the local car boot sales in our area.

Have you padded inside the lid? It looks like there is some kind of cushioning under the fabric lining.

Great job.

– Gretschaholic

Thanks!

Luckily I live near a Upholstery supply shop, I lined the whole thing with velvet leopard skin fabric,the bottom with some thin foam, and the sides just Leopard fabric over construction paper. Spray adhesive and a hot glue gun was all it needed .

My advice when buying the suitcase, Make sure the Lid (or top) of the suitcase is as thin as possible, that way you have enough room to slant your pedal board and not have any interference with closing the lid on your pedals and running your guitar cables into the Jacks,, I found out the hard way.

Its a cool project, have at it.

Thanks for the advice, would not have thought about having issues with the lid. Luckily it is all just an idea right now, so no money spent as yet.

It makes sense to line the inside foam and sides with fabric. I can see how it will stop the foam from potentially flaking away, but more importantly, it looks super cool.

I'm not all that taken with the look of the usual flight case. It could be argued that pedals deserve somewhere less functional to live and also be shown off in, for my situation anyhow.

If/when I get my board built, I'll have to post some pics too.

Sure wish I could find a few yards of that covering. It would be perfect for my Vagabond amp project.

Sure wish I could find a few yards of that covering. It would be perfect for my Vagabond amp project.

– Powdog

Ever thought of having somebody in the L.A. garment district special make some for you.You'd be surprised at the stuff they can make down there.

Last time I was there was around 1980. Wouldn’t even know where to begin to look anymore.

Cool case Manny. I remember when Burbank Airport was Bob Hope.

Register Sign in to join the conversation