Other Equipment

Pedal Board Set Up Question

I have 3 pedals so far (Reverb, Billy Brain & Ditto Looper)...adding a 4th soon (tape echo)....but anyway, question is:

how would you guys have it set up? which one in line first from the amp to the guitar...

So far I have, coming from the Amp...1st in line is the Reverb---followed by the Billy Brain---followed by the Looper.

Thanks guys

Guitar Brain Reverb Echo Looper Amp

What's the suggested placement of a reverb tank when using pedals similar to this?

Amp+tank+pedal chain+guitar???

Pedal order all comes down to personal preference. The key to the order you want/need is knowing - and understanding - what the pedal actually does to the guitar signal, to produce the (combined) desired output.

If you don't know affect the pedal has on the guitar signal, plug one pedal in between your guitar and amp. Play your guitar with the pedal on and off. Listen and learn. That should give you an indication of the effect the pedal has on the guitar signal. This also rules out any subsequent effects of internal circuitry (true bypass being one example) of multiple pedals combined together, with only one pedal actually on.

Then think: if this pedal is placed after that pedal, what combined effect will be produced? Try out combinations till it sounds correct. Build your pedal order up - piece by piece with all effect pedals on - to get what you want the output to sound like.

Some will say that there is an established order; I say different. The sound YOU want coming out of your guitar and amp combined should dictate the order the pedals are ordered in.

Only my opinion.

I like my overdrive & distortions before my Atomic Brain so that the boost side of the Atomic is still effective. Everything else comes after. I tend to put "built in amp effects" like Trem and reverb at the end of the chain...

I've always put slapback echo first (after the tuner pedal), but lately I've been hearing that echo/reverb and all should normally be last in the chain? Anyone have thoughts on this? Sorry to ask such a newbie-type question.

I used to follow the old advice of reverb/delay last in the chain, but now do the opposite. Here's some reasons

1. That's how outboard reverb tanks were. When I got my first tank I plugged it into an easily-overdriven small valco and loved the immediate sound of the reverb hitting the overdrive.
  2. Tape echo into amp works the same way. The key is not too much gain.
  3. I always loved the Raveonettes guitar sound. He runs a boss reverb into a RAT direct into the board. It's a bizarre setup but sounds awesome. Gain has to be low to keep it clear, but higher gains make for different effects.

Now I do a fuzz first, then reverb, then into a low-gain amp-like distortion pedal. Works great and gives me a lot of flexibility

A lot of fuzz/overdrive/boost pedals (including the Nocturne Brains) are designed with a low input impedance (intentionally or not) to load the pickups on your guitar, which has the effect of making them more 'touch-sensitive' or responsive to changes on the guitar's volume control. Some people like this effect and some don't, but nonetheless the effect is eliminated if the pedal is not placed first in line.

I can dig the idea of putting reverb/etc first to mimic the effect of old reverb tanks. Personally I like to put tremolo after reverb to mimic the effect of the Blackface tremolo circuits.

While of course there are no rules about these things, I suspect the OP was asking about effect order as a starting point. So, as a rough guide I would suggest putting anything which distorts before anything which repeats. I know some guys love reverb or delay before the distortion but it can be a bit intimidating if you haven't tried these effects before!

I always prefer to have my dirt repeated, rather than my repeats made dirty. So I always put my dirt pedals before the delay or reverb. It sounds clearer to me that way.

I also think that tremolo sounds better after reverb. I have experimented with this and found that if you put reverb after tremolo then sometimes you can't hear the tremolo because the wash of the reverb fills it all in. Amps with tremolo and reverb have the reverb before the tremolo for this reason I suspect.

So my signal chain is generally guitar > tuner > dirt pedal > delay > amp. My setup is pretty simple. If I use a boost I usually out it before the dirt because I usually want it to make the sound dirtier. If I wanted the boost to simply raise the volume I would put it after the dirt.

And lately I have been experimenting with various types of fuzz. I really like fuzz before a good low-gain drive pedal, because it gives you all the mess but tidies it up a bit and makes the low end better defined, which I happen to like. A lot of guys like it the other way around, and yes it does sound different.

Now that's a starting point. You can take these ideas and try them and ignore them - whatever you like. But it's why I do things the way I do. I've tried every order possible! It's fun but time consuming.

what I have so far...(thanks for the advice BTW)

so far I have: Guitar---Billy Brain Pre Amp---Reverb---Looper---Amp

Sounds the best this way! I also have this connected with a 60ft cable...now, everything sounds great...no weird sounds and apart from the billy brain turned on, the pedals are not humming and giving off wired signal noises.

I just ordered a Strymon Riverside pedal and a TC Electronics Flashback echo pedal (it was ridiculously cheap) for now, I'll see if I like the flashback but I really would like to get the El Capistan if the flashback doesn't fit the bill.

So I'll have to see in what order they will go...Im thinking pre amp---riverside---echo---reverb---looper---amp

BTW...the noise your hearing is the billy brain turned on...if I turn it off there is clear signal coming through the amp with the looper and reverb pedal only.

The TC Flashback is ridiculously good. It has the least tone suck of any delay I have used. If you need a great slapback then there is nothing better.

Hey Erick, when you have a few minutes you just might want to drop by Tavo's website Nocturnebrain.com and read his Blog.......there's some really specific info on that particular Amp you've got......nice Rig

The TC Flashback is ridiculously good. It has the least tone suck of any delay I have used. If you need a great slapback then there is nothing better.

– JimmyR

Thanks! I tried it out and its stupendous! love the versatility of it and you can't beat the price. got mine on eBay for about $90...the reverb does its purpose and then some, but I do notice a little tone change with it...its still a great pedal though. the ditto looper is a must have, fun pedal...sound is not compromised (at least to my ears) and its so easy to use.

Just added the Riverside Overdrive pedal by Strymon...now that is THE overdrive pedal to have! good lord its so good! I think it actually improves the guitar tone for crying out loud...its steep in price though...but it is worth every penny. Im pretty much getting the same review response for all the strymon pedals...I mean as much as I would love an "El Capistan" and their reverb pedal...its just not permissible at this moment.

Hey Erick, when you have a few minutes you just might want to drop by Tavo's website Nocturnebrain.com and read his Blog.......there's some really specific info on that particular Amp you've got......nice Rig

– 949Norm

Thanks Norm!

I do own a billy brain by Tavo and it really kicks up the pre-amp quite a bit! I haven't been able to fully use it yet since my tubes are way off and my capacitors are over 50 years old. so my amp gets pretty darn loud as is...as soon as I hit the Tavo Billy brain, the volume goes from loud to glass shattering...

the little bit that I did use it though, sounded amazing! there was that hidden setzer tone in there...but as soon as my Tung Sol re-issue 5881 tubes come in and I get a cap job it should tame the amp back to original specs and then ill give it a go on the Tavo Billy Brain.

as stated before, that straymon Riverside overdrive pedal is pure magic! great warm crisp natural overdrive just from that pedal alone right out if the box with minimal adjustment! that pedal is going to be a fun one to use indeed.

what I have so far...(thanks for the advice BTW)

so far I have: Guitar---Billy Brain Pre Amp---Reverb---Looper---Amp

Sounds the best this way! I also have this connected with a 60ft cable...now, everything sounds great...no weird sounds and apart from the billy brain turned on, the pedals are not humming and giving off wired signal noises.

I just ordered a Strymon Riverside pedal and a TC Electronics Flashback echo pedal (it was ridiculously cheap) for now, I'll see if I like the flashback but I really would like to get the El Capistan if the flashback doesn't fit the bill.

So I'll have to see in what order they will go...Im thinking pre amp---riverside---echo---reverb---looper---amp

BTW...the noise your hearing is the billy brain turned on...if I turn it off there is clear signal coming through the amp with the looper and reverb pedal only.

– erick lopez

btw.. a billy brain is crazy gain for a non master volume amp and bright. Its meant for an amp like a marshall or mesa where the user is riding the master volume and keeping the gain up. You should be using a dynobrain or atomic at most. :)

BTW...the setup is now complete:

Never mind the knob settings...this picture is taken before I get some good playing time in there to even begin properly adjusting...but anyway...

heres my pedal setup for now. My only issue is that the strymon works with all the other pedals, but as soon as I connect the billy brain, I have no guitar signal coming out of the amp???

remove the billy brain, and all the pedals work...plug back in the billy brain, and nothing works...

same goes for the riverside pedal...unplug the riverside pedal and the billy brain works....plug the riverside pedal with the billy brain, and again no tone output???

everything is properly hooked up...is there a reason why this is happening?

every pedal is being fed 9V from a multi pedal adaptor...tomorrow I'll try plugging in the riverside pedal with the supplied power adaptor. (but I really don't think thats the problem).

maybe Tavo or somebody will chime in and help with this weird predicament...

btw.. a billy brain is crazy gain for a non master volume amp and bright. Its meant for an amp like a marshall or mesa where the user is riding the master volume and keeping the gain up. You should be using a dynobrain or atomic at most. :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

shit! oh well...meanwhile, in the classified section...

so after a run through of the new riverside pedal...I can say...WOW!!!

this thing is the most multi versed pedal out there...goes from light tube overdrive to van halen brown sound and everything in-between without a single compromise in tone! it is truly an amazing pedal! even works as an attenuator of some sorts and I still keep that nice bassman tone in the background without a problem.

can't wait to pair this with the Classic Brain as Tavo suggested! (well, as soon as i sell this billy brain.)

I'll try to do a video with the pedals soon...everything works and sounds great together IMHO.

Good choice on the Riverside. It makes all the overdrivey sounds I want to play with, and then when it's showtime I just kick the saved settings stomper and get the right tone every time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation