Other Equipment

PAUL” by Gretsch ?

My vote would maybe go to it being a headstock plate, pre war because of the deco styling. Any sign of screw holes yet?

My vote would maybe go to it being a headstock plate, pre war because of the deco styling. Any sign of screw holes yet?

– Vince_Ray

I took it out in the sun today to check for holes, and didn't see any. Maybe it was made for that and not ever mounted, just kept in the case. That's a good bet though, I'll know more when I see it next to a ruler. I've asked the owner to send me a pic of that

If it's any consolation Deke said he had no idea as well. Any chance you can purchase it?

My guess is headstock decoration to be placed between string posts. Artists loved having their name easy to see.

I took it out in the sun today to check for holes, and didn't see any. Maybe it was made for that and not ever mounted, just kept in the case. That's a good bet though, I'll know more when I see it next to a ruler. I've asked the owner to send me a pic of that

– 949Norm

It appears to me to have two screw holes, near the top & bottom. Both slightly offset from being perfectly centered, and near the edge of the art deco-style crown at top and bottom.

Am I misinterpreting the photos?

If it is bakelite, it must have been mounted on something rigid, e.g. a headstock. I think it would be too brittle/fragile to mount on anything flexible (guitar strap, etc.).

It appears to me to have two screw holes, near the top & bottom. Both slightly offset from being perfectly centered, and near the edge of the art deco-style crown at top and bottom.

Am I misinterpreting the photos?

If it is bakelite, it must have been mounted on something rigid, e.g. a headstock. I think it would be too brittle/fragile to mount on anything flexible (guitar strap, etc.).

– geoguy

You are correct. There are two holes which could be for it to be mounted on something rigid., like a headstock.What I was talking about previously were holes on the Instrument that was purchased in the late 1930’s by Paul when he got this thing. . I did not find any holes, filled or otherwise. I’ve requested a photo with this “namebadge” laid alongside of a Ruler or yardstick from the Owner who is in another State. I should have that soon If it is the right length to fit across the top of a headstock, then I think the mystery is solved. Yes, I’ll probably try and buy it from him, if he doesn’t want the “moon” for it. I couldn’t use it, maybe we could give it to Paul P for a birthday present I would sure like to see another example of that on another Guitar though..... any Guitar.

Cool! Good luck - I'd prolly give a fair bit for something that unusual as well as beautiful.

7.5 inches long—-1.5 inches wide

Thanks! Seems like that would be tough to mount on a headstock - don't have a Gretsch handy but my Gibsons and Guilds are right at 7" from nut to tip of headstock.

How long is the tailpiece?

If I had a piece like that (though I'd never in a zillion have my name in all-caps rhinestones) - and had any respect for the physical integrity of the guitar, I would NOT screw it to the headstock.

I'd put it on the tailpiece. And with a trapeze, I'd mount it to a backing board which spanned from the bar at the string end of the tailpiece to under the bracket at the butt end. Screwing through the fancy-Dan Art Deco marquee, using the existing holes, and into the backing board would sandwich the structural stops of the tailpiece between, holding the marquee in place without any permanent mods to the guitar.

And even if I had to drill or otherwise molest a tailpiece in order to mount such an august reminder of my name...I'd do that before drilling into the headstock.

So I think it goes on the tailpiece. That's my theory.

Ever noticed how having enough folks covet something makes you want it, too? At least I wouldn't have to pay an attorney to change my name to Paul.

Does the seller of the guitar not want to divulge the gentleman’s last name?

Does the seller of the guitar not want to divulge the gentleman’s last name?

– Deed Eddy

I don't believe the owner knows the Gentleman's last name.I am not affiliated with the seller. I bought the Guitar on ebay from the guy. We had some continuing conversations via email and then telephone after the sale because I'm interested in the history of the older Guitars I buy. Turns out, this "PAUL" came with the Gretsch I bought when he bought it a few years ago, but he separated it when he listed the Guitar for sale. He thought it was cool and stuck it in a drawer. Best I can say is that the original owner lives now or lived in retirement in Sun City Arizona. I personally would like to see it a Museum or at least with someone who it meant something to. If anyone would like further info on how to contact this guy please PM me, I'll be happy to pass along the info.

Register Sign in to join the conversation