Other Equipment

Old Peterson 400 Strobe Tuner

I just got this today. I’ve never really used one. It came without the "astatic" mic. Can I plug an electric Guitar straight into it with an 1/8" adaptor or do I need to use a mic only for this model?

http://76.12.22.162/media/p...

“The pre-amp design is such that the tuner will respond well to both high and low impedance sources. The internal microphone is disconnected when a plug is inserted into the jack. This allows the user to plug a guitar or similar electronic instrument,”

This is a newer model. The earlier ones were vertical, and used a Shure Green (well, black) Bullet mike---they were often stolen. Both of these units are still used by high school and college bands and orchestras.

http://76.12.22.162/media/p...

“The pre-amp design is such that the tuner will respond well to both high and low impedance sources. The internal microphone is disconnected when a plug is inserted into the jack. This allows the user to plug a guitar or similar electronic instrument,”

– hammerhands

I found the exact same Manual so I called Peterson this morning. Paul there said that the Model 420 was the first to even have an internal mike, and that the 400 just didn’t have one built in.I’m not sure why the Manual says you don’t need one but HE told me I do. I opened it up and found a piece of tinfoil wrapped around the inside of the 1/8” receptor. Could be stock but I’m not positive about it.

I had a lovely conversation with the folks in the Peterson Exhibit at Winter NAMM 2018. They explained that the tuners used by the BeaTles early on were Peterson, and showed me some photos. We traded stories for about an hour. I'd met my match with both fellows in BeaTle Love. I told them how Laurence Juber was willing to risk missing his cab and plane to return to the main stage at Abbey Road on the River to retrieve his Peterson clip on. Then, THEY said he had just been by the exhibit before I arrived. When I left, they "made" me take one of their clip on tuners for myself. I'm really quite fond of it.

My guess is that they will do anything they can do to help.

I found the exact same Manual so I called Peterson this morning. Paul there said that the Model 420 was the first to even have an internal mike, and that the 400 just didn’t have one built in.I’m not sure why the Manual says you don’t need one but HE told me I do. I opened it up and found a piece of tinfoil wrapped around the inside of the 1/8” receptor. Could be stock but I’m not positive about it.

– 949Norm

I think that manual is for the 420 and they just replaced 420 with 400, since it still says 420 under Accuracy.

I had a lovely conversation with the folks in the Peterson Exhibit at Winter NAMM 2018. They explained that the tuners used by the BeaTles early on were Peterson, and showed me some photos. We traded stories for about an hour. I'd met my match with both fellows in BeaTle Love. I told them how Laurence Juber was willing to risk missing his cab and plane to return to the main stage at Abbey Road on the River to retrieve his Peterson clip on. Then, THEY said he had just been by the exhibit before I arrived. When I left, they "made" me take one of their clip on tuners for myself. I'm really quite fond of it.

My guess is that they will do anything they can do to help.

– Olivia Anne

They were VERY nice and helpful, which actually surprised me (I’m sorry to say). I highly recommend them as a company, they immediately transferred Me to a guy who really had answers for me

It's refreshing to deal with a company that actually understands "Customer Service"!

Register Sign in to join the conversation