Gretsch Garage Sale

Anybody Need A B5 w/A Vibramate? Or Two?

Another thread brought up the existence of this thing called an oil can delay. I thought it was so neat, it should get its own thread.

Here is a great YouTube demoing a restored Fender unit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WyyxxNwps

Here is a Geocities page that talked about it that someone found and posted: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/oil_can_delays.htm

From the perspective of retro-cool, I like the sound. An analog pedal is so much easier to handle, of course, but that oil can disc adds a neat texture to the sound.

They're cool, but maintenance is a bitch, and when the oil dries up, replacement oil is quite expensive and difficult to come by-- it's a very special oil with semi-magnetic properties. And now that they're classified as "vintage" equipment, the prices have begun to get really stupid on working examples.

Tel-Ray/Morley were the original designers of the unit, and built the Fender ones as well. Morley even had a foot-pedal version in the 70's-- the Morley RWV pedal.

Sweet! I knew about disk delays, just never heard one before. I like how it creates that soft mellow attack on the echo, rather than give it a sharp reproduction of the pick dynamics. Lovely and very cool.8-) Thanks for sharing.:)

I have one, and while it doesn't always work well with my other equipment it has a sound all its own. I missed a class one day because I was so mesmerized by it! I don't think the oil is really that expensive, and it's often available on ebay.

The only oil that will work properly is Union Carbide "Ucon" LB-65-- it runs around $20-25 for 4 ounces. $6.25 per ounce-- that's not very cheap in my book for an ounce of viscous liquid. Still, it usually only takes 1-1.5 ounces to refill the can, so you should get 2-3 good refills out of a 4-ounce supply.

Another thing... if you find a "dead" unit and you are hoping to resurrect it, make sure that the disc inside the can is not corroded... if it is, you just bought a doorstop.

So, to recreate this oil can delay in a completely new package would probably cost way too much money now?

Morley still holds the patents for the design. I'm surprised that they haven't re-issued it as a pricey "boutique" style pedal, though. However, I doubt if there's enough of a market for it. The Tel-Ray oil can crowd is a devoted bunch, but relatively few in numbers.

Morley seems more concerned with appealing to the hard rock crowd with "signature" pedals by Steve Vai, George Lynch, Mark Tremonti, etc.

Cool! Great video. Thanks for posting.

tartan phantom wrote:

They're cool, but maintenance is a bitch, and when the oil dries up, replacement oil is quite expensive and difficult to come by-- it's a very special oil with semi-magnetic properties. And now that they're classified as "vintage" equipment, the prices have begun to get really stupid on working examples.

Tel-Ray/Morley were the original designers of the unit, and built the Fender ones as well. Morley even had a foot-pedal version in the 70's-- the Morley RWV pedal.

Tel Ray Oil Can Echo Ucon LB-65 Fluid is always available on ebay per 2 oz. from this guy. $14 a bottle http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-oz-Tel-Ray-Oil-Can-Echo-Ucon-LB-65-Fluid-/220634549685?p...

Adineko oil can delays are a silly mess but fun contraptions.

the Fender units usually had the tel-rey/adineko memory system name on the back plate

Kinda cool, it works off the same principle as a computer's HDD, albeit much, much slower ;-)

My Morley EDL needs repair.

My Morley stereo ECHO-VOLUME EVO-1A Bought late 1979. Just taken pictures hope they work OK a novice with new camera.

Hey if you can't get'em working they make a hell-of-a good paperweight. :P

note the 1 input jack socket and 2 output jacks for stereo connections. the dely on the stereo echo can be a bit offputting if you are using 2 separate amps to play through...takes a bit of getting used to. Well worth the time and effort to find out the full potential of this pedal.

Register Sign in to join the conversation