Other Equipment

Oh no! Am I turning into a gushing Tru-arc fanboy??

I have spent some time recently playing my fabulous '59 VS Jet - such a great guitar! The only modification I have made was to swap to a stainless Serpentune Tru-arc bridge. Previously I have used Gibson TOMs and they have served me very well - I like the sound and they have done everything a bridge should do.

But the Serpentune has one benefit over most other bridges - not only can you get it into near perfect tune but it stays in tune better than any other bridge I have used. With some quite intense Bigsby wigglage today I found that the tuning had wandered to such a small degree that it sounded more or less still in tune - good enough for a gig. Checking with a tuner showed that pitch had gone up almost uniformly by just less than a cent on each string - which given the way I was attacking it is astounding.

I have been stubbornly resisting the whole Tru-arc koolaid for years now. I had tried them before but still prefered my TOMs. But finally I have to admit that for a Gretsch, the Serpentune is the way to go. It was a good experience with a stainless Compton which finally pushed me over the edge - the Compton sounded so good I tried the Serpentune again and the extra tuning precision has won me over.

I know I don't really need to say that the Tru-arc works here but felt I should pay Tim his due - the more I use these things the more impressed I am.

I only have one Tru-Arc myself but I concur. When and if I can afford more, it'll happen.

It's hard not to be . . . It's a fantastic product.

Yep! It’s a stellar product!

I need to seek Sir Prot's advice...my 6120 is headed for upgrades after a dozen years. I have been using the Gretsch Rocking Bar since soon after delivery...it has a complementary radius but without intonation. With my playing, and heavier strings, never been much of an issue.

I figure I'll stay with JS111's...tried other sets...like those the most...wound 3rd.

Now which metal? or glass? or type?

I know of at least one guy on here that won't mind.

Jimmy, you're making me seriously contemplate getting a SerpenTune for my 5422. I've been reading such great reviews here, on the merits of the True-Arch bridges, that I can't help but think that there has to be some serious mojo in them. Thank you for sharing your experience with the SerpenTune, Jimmy. All I really need to do now is to decide on what material to use. I'm sure Tim will have some ideas on this.

The most "tuning stable" Gretsch that I own. SS Serpentune on my Phoenix, with a Reverend Soft Spring and using 10-46 strings.

Tru-Arc SerpenTunes were the holy grail I found in my search for the best bridge available. I voted with my wallet. I now have 12 of them, this was the last shipment, 2 brass & 4 titanium:

What material is the Gretsch Rocking Bar Bridge?

Are there Tru-Arc models designed for wound third?

IIRC, brass that is either chrome or gold plated.

Yes, tell Tim that you use a would 3rd.

Serpentunes come in either wound or plain-G versions. As JD says above, you need to specify when ordering.

I forgot to mention to Tim that I use a wound G. My two Serpentus are for plain G but they work just fine with the wound G. Tuning is great as well as intonation.

I'm a Tru-Arc fan boy.

I would think plated Brass, too...

The 6120 revamp project will start soon. Waiting for my Tone Pot/Switch PVC Tubing kit from TV Jones. I've never had it all apart.

You owe me Uncle Grump...my wife saw those giant Carrots which lead to her making Carrot Soup for a Saturday Night dinner...

I would think plated Brass, too...

The 6120 revamp project will start soon. Waiting for my Tone Pot/Switch PVC Tubing kit from TV Jones. I've never had it all apart.

You owe me Uncle Grump...my wife saw those giant Carrots which lead to her making Carrot Soup for a Saturday Night dinner...

– Twangmeisternyc

Carrot soup? I do owe you. So sorry man.

Twangmeister, want a Gretsch ski hat? Send your mailing info to jeberg at ptd dot net.

That could be a Birthday or Christmas present for HER!

She wore her 135th Annie T-shirt yesterday.

Good thing I do most of the cooking around here.

Earlier today I told her she was in charge of dinner...mistake.

Just now seeing this, AFK as they say.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback!

And by all means, anyone who has questions about which breed for their steed, just let me know. I eventually answer all Tru-Arc emails!

Tru-Arc SerpenTunes were the holy grail I found in my search for the best bridge available. I voted with my wallet. I now have 12 of them, this was the last shipment, 2 brass & 4 titanium:

– audept

Like Pokemon I collect them all but I DONT have a titanium.. I needz that Might sound even better on the dipinto

That could be a Birthday or Christmas present for HER!

She wore her 135th Annie T-shirt yesterday.

Good thing I do most of the cooking around here.

Earlier today I told her she was in charge of dinner...mistake.

– Twangmeisternyc

Sorry for the delay, should be there Tuesday or Wednesday.

My wife bought 3 more BIG carrots today, scared the hell out of me!

She then said they were to be used in a hot dish for a Ladies group Luncheon this coming week.

I'm good for a few more days...

Is the BIG carrot thing like the old joke : Two nuns in a bath - "Where's the soap?" "Yes doesn't it?"

Grump had started another thread a couple weeks ago...he had a pair of local produce Carrots both the size of a 750ml liquor bottle...

That probably makes the rabbits near him the size of heifers!

http://gretschpages.com/for...

EDIT: Tru-Arc SerpenTune, Stainless, Wound 3rd, 12" radius now on order from Tim...

Register Sign in to join the conversation