Other Equipment

NHD (NCHD)!

As all the winners of this abbreviation contest have already understood, this means New Harmonica Day. Or, specifically, New Chromatic Harmonica Day!

I actually recieved this fascinating little instrument a couple of days ago. But today was the first day I had the time to blow a few notes on it. And I very seldom buy new stuff, so this was a rare opportunity for me to create a thread about a new acquistiion.

But why this, of all the instruments in the world? Well, I often pack a regular Marine band when I need to be away for a few days. But when a moment of spare time occurs I have found that I necessarily don't want to do some blues wailing, which is all I have known how to do this far. So, it was time for an upgrade.

I was also inspired by the few numbers that Django Reinhardt and the Hot Club of France recorded with the harmonica player Larry Adler in 1938; Body and Soul, Lover Come Back to Me, My Melancholy Baby and I Got Rhythm. Some good stuff!

I realise it will take a long time to figure this little beast out. But it really feels like a good investment: it will be fun to experiment with a new instrument, it doesn't take up any space in my home and it's super portable. Might even get the attention of lovely ladies when I get the hang of it. Who knows? Always a good motivation anyway, whether it's true or not...

Cool! I always loved the stuff Stevie Wonder does with those.

What one did you buy?

I first tried to buy at a local shop, but they only had the cheaper Hohner line, some other brand and very large ones. But I was intent on getting a good one from the start. So I had a look at the Thomann web shop in Germany.

There I found out there was a Hohner Larry Adler model. So, naturally I just had to have that one. Actually, there were two, but I chose the more compact one, Professional 12.

I'm trying to get familiar with it now, playing major scales up and down. It's fascinating to have a harmonica with all the notes in it! In any case I think this will be easier for me to learn compared to the overblowing technique to get the raised and lowered notes on a diatonic harmonica, although that method has its own appeal.

My dad had one eons ago, along with the regular diatonics. Picked it up during WWII. He was a fan of the Harmonicats. I was amazed by the wide variety of harmonicas they used.

Have you checked out the 5 watt Hohner harmonica amp?

Harps are one instrument you really do want to buy new! Not many instruments you blow and suck - well plenty of instruments I suck at, but not many you suck from. I would never borrow a harp from someone.

I'm not familiar with the Harmonicats, unfortunately. When I was a child Toots Thielemans was often on the television. He seemed to have had strong ties to Sweden.

No, I haven't looked at amps. No need to amplify it at present.

I suppose you could take apart an old harmonica and clean it. Much easier to buy a new one, though.

Harps are one instrument you really do want to buy new! Not many instruments you blow and suck - well plenty of instruments I suck at, but not many you suck from. I would never borrow a harp from someone.

– JimmyR

When it come to musicians, I've known quite a few who both blow and suck.

Late to the party here but nice going trumpetman. I do play a lot of acoustic and some harp solos definitely would be a welcome addition. Simply put though I have always loved harp playing and been intrigued for a while but never bought one out of fear of either never really learning it or learning how to play but never being able to play what I want to play.

I tried harp once. But it gave me a headache in about 5 minutes! Or was it just my, ah, "playing"? Anyway, I have no doubt that you draw some pretty cool tones from that thing T-man. Perhaps you and NJDevil can collaborate over the net on a piece or two. Now that would be worth the price of admission...

Register Sign in to join the conversation