Other Equipment

NEW Strymon VOLANTE Magnetic Echo Machine

I'm surprised Tavo didn't beat me to this.... alot of El Caps and Timelines went up for sale in the last 24 hours LOL

This thing does sound like it might be the pinnacle of digitally simulated magnetic/tape echo.....

https://www.strymon.net/pro...

Very cool. Kinda El Cap meets Deco, plus an Echorec and looper.

I love it that Pete uses a guitar to demo it which surely costs less than the pedal. That’s not unique to this video, though; I’ve often seen him with the Agile. No reason why not, they can be great guitars.

Interesting - but logical - new pedal for Strymon. The pedal sphere was speculating there might be a big box dirt workstation combining Sunset and Riverside, but with more and deeper control. Some even fantasized about a super Strymon grand unified theory of everything to compete with H9 Max or the new HX Stomp (call it the H Factor, I guess).

But instead the Volante doubles down on Strymon’s apparently inexhaustible delay obsession. I wonder to what extent it’s Magneto in a pedal.

I really like the inventive and clearly logical matrix of buttons to engage “heads” and feedback. It routes around the usual complexity of configuring multiple taps and subdivisions.

It does look like Strymon has been paying attention to competitors and working in stuff others got to first. Feeding an otherwise inaudible delay line into the feedback of another is an Earthquaker trick from Disaster Transport. Tape slowdown-to-stop is in Red Panda’s still-barely-shipping Tensor from last NAMMtime (and has shown up elsewhere). I didn’t catch how much loop time there is, but including reverse mode just catches up with many other loopers.

But of course everything is done in the magical Strymon way, which is only obvious after Strymon gets there, and it’s all dipped in Celli audio sensual sugar.

I’d like to see a complete Strymon take on looping. ALL of the available big boy loopers have one or more crucial deficiencies. If there’s enough record time and storage, quantize or loop independence are missing. If there’s full control over loop behavior (free, synchro, track multiples, serial, parallel), there’s not enough capacity. Or the metronome/bad drum loops are kludgy. Or there’s no monitor out. Or you can’t defeat dry through. Or the control scheme is convoluted. Only the EHX 95000 lets you pan loops anywhere across the image, but its loops can ONLY be rigidly locked in sync and length. And no one seems to let you route loops and dry through to different outputs. Maybe Strymon could get everything right.

Anyway, back to the Volante. Of course I’ll be unable to resist. I won’t even try. I doubt I’ll part with El Capi or Timeline, though. I’ll make room somewhere.

alot of El Caps and Timelines went up for sale in the last 24 hours

Actually, looks like 3 El Capis and 8 Timelines (on Reverb). The ElCap sellers seem to be competing on price; the Timeliners, not so much. You wouldn't say any bottoms have fallen out.

(I have orders in for Volante with two vendors...)

That's an awesome pedal and I am in the market for a tape delay pedal. A lot of the tape delay pedals sound fantastic with a clean signal going them but seem to loose their awesome sauce when overdrive and distortion are introduced. Are there any demos of this pedal being used with a distorted signal?

I have orders in for Volante with two vendors...

I'll trade you an Echoplex for the second one

I'll trade you an Echoplex for the second one

Yer a funny man. You don't even HAVE one yet. You won't be over it that soon.

A lot of the tape delay pedals sound fantastic with a clean signal going them but seem to lose their awesome sauce when overdrive and distortion are introduced.

Well, a lot of them introDUCE a kind of fuzzystortion as a part of sounding "old" - in which case you might get better results by dialing back the dirt going into them to keep the cumulative dirt at the right depth.

Are there any demos of this pedal being used with a distorted signal?

Only demos I'm aware of are Styrmon's own, and I didn't listen through to the end of Pete's long walk-through. Maybe it's in there.

You know, also...it could be there are NO shift- or alt-functions you can only get to by holding down something else. At least I don't find any mention of such.

I'd like that!

So far, only Strymon demos... it was only released yesterday (the 10th).

but USUALLY.... demo-ers like Schnobel and Mike Hermans have already had advanced pedals, and their demos follow closely behind the official site demos...

I really don't have $400 to spend on another delay pedal (I'm down to only 3 lol, but I've been thru SO MANY...)..... but I too will likely bite the bullet. It just looks like too damned much fun.

and.... the reverb sounds nice! Nicer than the reverb on the El Cap.

I really don't have $400 to spend on another delay pedal

Well, nobody does. But that won't stop us.

You know, also...it could be there are NO shift- or alt-functions you can only get to by holding down something else. At least I don't find any mention of such.

Turns out there actually are a few, but they're few and important enough functions that I think our brains will hold them.

No offense to anyone, but those artificial chorussy out of tune clouds of repeat wash in those Strymon clips are awful. Yuk.

No offense to anyone, but those artificial chorussy out of tune clouds of repeat wash in those Strymon clips are awful. Yuk.

– WB

You know you can turn that down or off, right?

– WB

youre not a millennial and you play roots music, of course its not appealing.

I'm not a millennial. Are you saying I'm an honorary millennial?

Walter also isn't a boomer. Many of us old guys are still amused by the music of the back half of the 60s and through the 70s, which is what the following roots revival reacted against.

To each his own. What I like is authentic to me.

Out of tune clouds, repeat wash, etc..... I don't know what this means. I've never owned a delay/echo pedal. I want one. I like the tones that I heard. What I heard can take me to The Edge, to Gilmour's "Echoes", to James Wilsey and much more. Since I don't know all the products and their dynamics that the market has to offer, I cannot make comparisons.

Now to become the wise purchaser....I mean after all my profession is corporate procurement so why not be my own stakeholder? I'll get past the fact that I don't have the funds right now but in preparation of, I will officially start my homework and education of the wonderful world of delay and echo.

I know what sounds I want to make and what I want to do with it, I just don't know what tools will get me there. Thanks for posting Ruger as I might use this as the benchmark.

I'm not a millennial. Are you saying I'm an honorary millennial?

Walter also isn't a boomer. Many of us old guys are still amused by the music of the back half of the 60s and through the 70s, which is what the following roots revival reacted against.

To each his own. What I like is authentic to me.

– Proteus

I’m also authentic...I think.

NJ Devil....

Wilsey is a PERFECT example of "warbly" echoes... long story short: real tape echoes are mechanical devices, they are not perfect. So even a new, perfectly-tuned tape (or drum) echo has a tiny bit of "chorus" (for lack of a better word) on the repeats. Barely noticeable, but it's there. As the part wear and age, especially the tape in the tape echoes, this becomes more pronounced. And the echoes take on an "underwatery" vibe with the "chorus" that happens.

Many people LOVE this effect, and purposely search for it. Others hate it and keep their tape machines in tip-top condition. All the digital boxes simulate this warble, and most can do it way more than a real tape echo can.

Enter: the DMM. Deluxe Memory Man. It was the 1st stompbox built to SPECIFICALLY MIMIC a tape/drum echo. That's why it has chorus/vibrato onboard. It actually does a great job, it's a legend for a reason. Many people have tried to create a "DMM Killer" for many years, but the DMM continues to survive.

And: adding (a) chorus (pedal) is not the same thing. First of all, what a tape machine does isn't strictly chorus; secondly it's done only on repeats not the dry signal.

I am certainly guilty of loving the warble. If I wanted a totally clean delay, I can get that anywhere.... but that tape warble (even simulated) is something magical to alot of us.

FWIW, Wilsey recorded that album DIRECT, using a Line6 PodFarm. Not an amplifier or tape echo in sight.

I love it when I don’t like a new piece of gear. It gives me the illusion of knowing that I don’t need more pedals and being able to act on that knowledge.

I love it when I don’t like a new piece of gear. It gives me the illusion of knowing that I don’t need more pedals and being able to act on that knowledge.

I know exactly that feeling, and you're right that it's great to feel like you've closed the book on a category of effects. Sends you back to the stuff you have, and gets you digging in deeper and/or simply enjoying it.

But I find in some cases it doesn't last...for whatever reason I'll reconsider and second-guess my initial rejection of a piece of gear. Then I'll give it a try. Probably half the time, I'll decide I was right in the first place and send it along, now more confident in the decision.

But the other half the time...either my initial reaction was underinformed or my tastes or ... (I was going to type "needs," but that's too strong) ... my interests have changed, and I find some magic.

In this case, it's just that when it's Strymon and delay with some mod, there's no way I'm not going to try it for myself.

Enter: the DMM. Deluxe Memory Man. It was the 1st stompbox built to SPECIFICALLY MIMIC a tape/drum echo. That's why it has chorus/vibrato onboard. It actually does a great job, it's a legend for a reason. Many people have tried to create a "DMM Killer" for many years, but the DMM continues to survive.

True dat. Got my first one about 1982, and loved it till its running hiss just got too obtrusive compared to more modern gear. But I used it a lot, as much for dense vibey doubling as for luscious spacious follow echoes - not to forget self-oscillation speed-up/slow-down sci-fi special effects.

I got a reissue several years ago, and even with an insane number of other devices that can do modulated delay of one sort or another, I hold onto it. Being able to overdrive its "preamp" is part of the voodoo. Maybe nostalgia is the rest. Great pedal - whether it fully succeeded in replicating tape delay, I don't know, but clearly a classic in its own right. Whether anyone's been able to knock it off its perch or not, you know it's the Standard when every multi delay you find has a self-acknowledged DMM mode.

FWIW, Wilsey recorded that album DIRECT, using a Line6 PodFarm. Not an amplifier or tape echo in sight.

I did not know that! I listened to the album again a couple weeks ago when JW died, and marveled once again at the tone. POD. You don't say. If that becomes general knowledge, will it ruin Wilsey's standing among the roots crowd?

I took a Solstice vow. No more demo videos. So I'm afraid I cannot watch. My word is my bond.

Strymon though. I have a Flint and a Deco. Buy once and forget about an upgrade. Two years on the road, faultless. I've got no need for this Aston Martin model for the Deco does all the echo I need, but it's certain to be superb.

I think Walter makes an excellent point- any recent echo box with a degredation/wobble/artificial distress function is apt to veer far further into the wonderful world of Daleks than any old echo box ever did and way, way beyond where a pleasant listening experience resides. As with any piquant sauce, use sparingly.

Pod2 as well. Super machine. And the old Amp Farm plug-in. For the cleaner stuff, just dandy.

"POD. You don't say. If that becomes general knowledge, will it ruin Wilsey's standing among the roots crowd?"

It does go to show you, tone really is (at least mostly) in the HANDS, not necessarily the gear... an awful lot of vintage/tube/tape guys will be very disappointed!! LOL

An awful lot of perceived tone is in the eyes - and psychological preconception.

Register Sign in to join the conversation