Other guitar-y things

My only issue with the Bigsby

Nothing to do with tuning or any of the common complaints. I might have mentioned this before, but I wish that the screws which connect the Bigsby to the end of the guitar were countersunk. In fact I have bought a countersink bit and installed countersunk screws on Bigsbys before. Why? Glad you asked!

I find that the round head screws dig into the strap. The screw heads poke up into the space which is occupied by the strap. Slowly they either wear a groove into the strap end or the force required to screw the strap button in means that the strap is undoing the strap button every time the strap moves.

I just took my Jet out of the case and discovered that the strap button was nearly completely off the threads. It had been pushed off by the screws pressing against the strap and slowly unwinding the button.

So while it seems a small thing it might one day lead to the guitar falling off the strap, which could be traumatic. Countersinking the screw head solves this issue completely.

Now that's really an informative post, because I've had this happen and was not sure why it would come loose. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad to be of service! Today I took the time to put countersunk screws into my Jet's Bigsby. I have a generic countersink bit and it makes short work of the aluminium and now I have three countersunk SS screws holding the Bigsby in place. With luck I won't have any issues with the strap button coming unscrewed any more. I did one screw at a time and it was surprisingly quick and easy. The Bigsby should really come like this from the factory IMO.

Nothing to do with tuning or any of the common complaints. I might have mentioned this before, but I wish that the screws which connect the Bigsby to the end of the guitar were countersunk. In fact I have bought a countersink bit and installed countersunk screws on Bigsbys before. Why? Glad you asked!

I find that the round head screws dig into the strap. The screw heads poke up into the space which is occupied by the strap. Slowly they either wear a groove into the strap end or the force required to screw the strap button in means that the strap is undoing the strap button every time the strap moves.

I just took my Jet out of the case and discovered that the strap button was nearly completely off the threads. It had been pushed off by the screws pressing against the strap and slowly unwinding the button.

So while it seems a small thing it might one day lead to the guitar falling off the strap, which could be traumatic. Countersinking the screw head solves this issue completely.

– JimmyR

Thanks for the heads up, I've always had to check my strap buttons and re-tighten as needed. Now I know why, and the solution to the problem is so simple. Again, thanks.

I'd always wondered why Bigsby didn't drill a countersunk hole in the spring well of their Semi-solid vibratos (like the B-7) instead of the molded screw tab on the outside of the spring well. It would have looked better, especially if you choose not to screw the unit down to the guitar's top.

Always make sure the holes in your strap are a loose fit on the skinny part of the button.

Bigsbys are easy to machine. This one came to me as a B70 with a broken hinge.

"Always make sure the holes in your strap are a loose fit on the skinny part of the button."

Good point! And Duojet55 I agree - seems logical doesn't it?

Register Sign in to join the conversation