Other guitar-y things

Micro Clip-free Tuner on Taylor 12

I love Taylor 150e 12-string, but one thing I miss from my previous Alvarez 12-string is the on-board tuner - especially handy to have on a 12-string.

I had seen a video a while ago where a guy took one of these D'Addario Micro Clip-free Tuners, grinded off the circular mount on the bottom, and attached it to the back of his headstock with 2-sided adhesive. I didn't see the point of doing that, and even though there are no tuning machine screws on my guitar, I just screwed it onto the back of the headstock anyway.

It's perfect. Nicely hidden out of the way, and works great. No more ungainly clip-on affixed to the end of the headstock.

Here's what it looks like from a player perspective.

By the way, speaking of D'Addario, let's make 2021 the year we stop mispronouncing the name of this company. It is NOT "Dee-Addario"; it's "DAddario". They even say so in their own videos.

I am forever addicted to the long time unavialble Planet Waves -- which sort of was taken over/rebranded etc. by D'Addario.

This replacement version wasn't as good. So I bought a pile of the earlier style

Nicely done, Jim, neat and tidy, and out of sight. I don't see as you had too many options for mounting the tuner. Either use two sided tape, or a screw. I think the screw was the better choice, as long as you don't mind the extra hole in the back of the headstock. It can always be plugged and touched up to the same color if you ever want to reverse the modification.

I learned to pronounce D'Addario correctly a long time ago, and I hear it mispronounced all the time. I think it was a music store owner that schooled me on it, way back in the day.

I once worked with a "chick singer" named Dee Addario. She was good - pitch was pretty stable - but her voice would gradually darken over a few weeks until she was almost unintelligible.

We'd eventually complain about it to her (it can be hard to bring up sensitive subjects with divas), and I don't know what she'd do - but next gig, the voice would be bright and crisp again.

Durnedest thing.

I once worked with a "chick singer" named Dee Addario. She was good - pitch was pretty stable - but her voice would gradually darken over a few weeks until she was almost unintelligible.

We'd eventually complain about it to her (it can be hard to bring up sensitive subjects with divas), and I don't know what she'd do - but next gig, the voice would be bright and crisp again.

Durnedest thing.

– Proteus

Sounds like a stringer. Was she also brassy?

Nicely done, Jim, neat and tidy, and out of sight. I don't see as you had too many options for mounting the tuner. Either use two sided tape, or a screw. I think the screw was the better choice, as long as you don't mind the extra hole in the back of the headstock. It can always be plugged and touched up to the same color if you ever want to reverse the modification.

I learned to pronounce D'Addario correctly a long time ago, and I hear it mispronounced all the time. I think it was a music store owner that schooled me on it, way back in the day.

– Wade H

Next mispronunciation target: when people in gear reviews say "M-K 2" instead of "mark two."

e.g., a fuzz pedal based on the SolaSound Tonebender mk.II

"This pedal is based on the Tonebender emm-kay two..." Arrrghh! It's MARK TWO!!

...maybe I need a vacation

What about Ibanez? It's a legitimate Spanish name (even though the company is Japanese). Mostly I only ever hear it pronounced as "EYE-ba-nez," when it really should have a tilde over the "N" and be pronounced "ee-BAHN-yez."

And the other Italian "D" brands --- like D'Addario --- should be pronounced "dan - JELL - i - co" and "da - QUIS - to."

Atsa enough for now-a.

What about Ibanez? It's a legitimate Spanish name (even though the company is Japanese). Mostly I only ever hear it pronounced as "EYE-ba-nez," when it really should have a tilde over the "N" and be pronounced "ee-BAHN-yez."

And the other Italian "D" brands --- like D'Addario --- should be pronounced "dan - JELL - i - co" and "da - QUIS - to."

Atsa enough for now-a.

– Parabar

Atsa matta for you? D'at's d'a d'amned'est t'hing I e'ver h'eard.

True story-- there was a guitar player that went to high school with me , and he pronounced it "EH-ba-neez". I would just silently snicker and shake my head.

Register Sign in to join the conversation