Other Equipment

Measuring Resistance Of One Lead Pickup?

On YouTube I see how to measure resistance of two lead pickup but for one lead I don't. I already knew how to for a two lead pickup but for a one lead I don't know how. I tried but got no reading. How does one do it?

Thank You

If it's like a Gibson pickup, the second conductor is the shield

You mean there's no ground wire?

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

Yes no ground. I have some P90s with two wires so I think one is hot and one is ground.

If it's like a Gibson pickup, the second conductor is the shield

– Otter

Like that yes. So from what you said I was able to measure resistance. I put one probe on the lead and one on the shield and it worked, thanks. 8.8 resistance I think it was.

You should be able to read impedance resistance at the output of the guitar. Make sure that only one pickup is selected, turn the volume on that pickup to 10, plug in a cable and read the resistance between the tip and the sleeve.

You should be able to read impedance resistance at the output of the guitar. Make sure that only one pickup is selected, turn the volume on that pickup to 10, plug in a cable and read the resistance between the tip and the sleeve.

– Pt

Thanks for the info. I am going to install it tomorrow. Just got it off eBay. It is a Gibson "Super Vintage" P90. Not familiar with the Super Vintage line. Hope it is good.

Like that yes. So from what you said I was able to measure resistance. I put one probe on the lead and one on the shield and it worked, thanks. 8.8 resistance I think it was.

– ThePolecats

Just remember that shield is your ground and needs to be soldered to the back of the pot

Just remember that shield is your ground and needs to be soldered to the back of the pot

– Otter

Thanks for tip on that. I did forget that step once and I got no sound and a tech I brought to told me I forgot to do that. I might work on this tomorrow or Friday and let you all know how it goes. I am not Mr. Electronics but fortunately this is just one pickup and not the whole system.

Register Sign in to join the conversation