Other Equipment

Load Lightening: Shortboard & the Featherweight Rig

Also, here's the new value leader in 6" RA pedalboard cables: 3 for 9 bucks with handsomer pancakes (look like Switchcraft, but for that money I don't see how).

https://reverb.com/item/205...

Still, I don't like the stiff cable. When I solder up shorties, I use the same gauge thin cable George L uses. Way more flexitive.

That built in parallel effects loop on the Red Truck would be your undoing, Tim

Nah.

Well, I'd put a compressor in there, of course. Gotta squeeze.

And maybe the Deco on the output. Which is stereo, you noticed.

I really like the Red Truck. If all my pedals were lost in a fire, I'd strongly consider it for a one-stop replacement.

Billy D Light used to rave about the Carl Martin Quarttro.

One thing I like about Tech21 Fly Rig (besides the sexy, silent and soft foot switches) is it can plug straight into a PA with success. I'm not sure about the others. Maybe they can, just don't know. The Mooer is compelling.

For band rehearsals I take along a Boss ME50 instead of my pedalboard. The Boss is dead easy to use and sounds, well, like Boss pedals really. I don't use its facility for storing patches (I can't be bothered with all that stuff), I just use it as a convenient way to access acceptable delay, modulation and reverb fx. The compressor is OK if you want it and there is a volume pedal that doubles as a wah. You can pick these up for not a lot.

Comparing the three multi-stomp all-in-ones (leaving out overly-complex menu-driven and/or all-digital types).

All have pretty smart multi-gain structures with suitably flexible overdrive/dirt, and all have what I'd consider competent, sufficiently flexible and useful delay sections. That's to the good. Other features vary interestingly.

Carl Martin Quattro
Good stuff: a nice compressor, tap-tempo for the delay, stereo outputs from delay-chorus, and an effects loop after the drive section.

Not-so-good stuff: It has chorus; it's a matter of taste, I know, but a waste of space for me. I'd way rather have vibrato/trem. That's almost a demerit. And no reverb, even demerit-er (though fine into a reverb amp, of course). It's also bigger than the others, and it's aggressively ugly.

Tech 21 FlyRigs
Good stuff: the most flexible "front end"/preamp section with SansAmp EQ, gain and two drive levels in the dirt section. Tap-tempo for the delay. And it has reverb (only if the SansAmp section is engaged). It's the smallest and lightest (18 oz!), and great-looking. Love the little light-up knobs. Cool soft-touch silent switches.

Not-so-good stuff: No compressor. Not stereo. No effects loop. Several models: which dirt section you gonna pick?

Mooer Red Truck
Good stuff: Effects loop, stereo out, headphone jack. Three gain stages with flexible EQ. Mod section choices of phaser, chorus/flanger, and trem - with tap-tempo and subdivisions. 3 types of delay (tape w/preset warble-mod, bucket-brigade analog, digital), tap-tembo with subdivisions. Reverb with EQ and shimmer w/mod speed (if you want it). Cabinet-sim output for more realism when run direct. Tuner. Has both stompbox mode (kick sections off and on like other contestants) and program mode (5 memory locations to store on-off status - but NOT settings - of all effects). Flexible configuration for tap-tempo function, as well as amp interconnection (before input; gain section in front of amp, mod & delay in effects loop; wet-dry into two amps; wet-dry-wet into three amps). Best-looking (red!); little light-up knobs PLUS color-coded light-up rings around the stomps. Comes with its own carrying case. Coolest name.

Not-so-good stuff: no compressor, weighs 2.6 lbs.

Hmm.

At some point devices like that start to look like a hardware solution to a software problem. I think if you want to get into modeled effects it may make more sense to have an iPad + pedal actuator thingy.

Then again, I'm surprised I haven't seen more people in that space.

Here's a short board that I put togther for my acoustic gigging but works fabulous for my electric stuff as the Alix preamp has enough clean gain to throttle the most tame of amplifier front ends along with some great tone shaping EQ and a variable clean boost which is ridiculously transparent, and it the Alix has a 500mv 9v dc convenience outlet on it which powers everything else! Add to that a fine reverb/delay made by Keeley, a smooth mini volume made by Bloomery, and lightning fast Boss TU3 wazacraft tuner with easy to read variable brightness display. All mounted on a Pedaltrain Metro 20 (which comes with it's own travel bag)...

https://i.imgur.com/f4pzPoC...

and this little bugger in all but the biggest places ...

http://dirtygirlamplificati...

It's hard to gig acoustic without parametric EQ, that's for sure - especially resonators. I have the LR Baggs Paracoustic DI and a Fishman Aura. Between'em I can usually get that job done.

And I don't like any effects other than reverb on acoustics (well, compression as needed), so a very short board does work for that.

Your electric material material must stay a little rootsier than mine!

It's hard to gig acoustic without parametric EQ, that's for sure - especially resonators. I have the LR Baggs Paracoustic DI and a Fishman Aura. Between'em I can usually get that job done.

And I don't like any effects other than reverb on acoustics (well, compression as needed), so a very short board does work for that.

Your electric material material must stay a little rootsier than mine!

– Proteus

yep it is pretty roots y, just a little louder and dirtier than my acoustic stuff:)

World's Best Cables make great 6" & 12" patch cables using Mogami 2319 cable and panhead-type low-profile jacks. I have quite a few now, never had any problems

Register Sign in to join the conversation