Other Equipment

Just tried the new Elixir Optiweb coated strings…..

Let me start by saying that I have gigged and played Elixirs on my acoustics for a few years.

I'm used to conceding a little top end initially but have enjoyed the long life and retention of the "new" string tone for the life of the string.

Never tried coated's on electrics. I've settled on Ernie Ball slinky's for their feel, tone and relatively long life for my body chemistry compared to other similarly priced strings.

The marketing blurb sounded good so I ordered a set or two and tonight installed a set of 10 - 46's on my telecaster.

If I was expecting to give up brightness - forget it.

I was amazed at the range of highs emanating from all 6 strings with rich harmonic content. Had no trouble dialling it back with the tone control and once done the tone was pretty much where I wanted it and comparable to the slinkies.

The highs do not come at the expense of great bass tones from the lower strings.

What stands out and impresses me most is that the transition from wound to unwound strings is absolutely seemless. The tone from the 1, 2 and 3 strings is full and rich unlike the anemic sounds from some other brands I am used to.

Great slinky feel and quite stretchy compared with D'addario or slinkies but stable once stretched and tuned.

Surprised, yes, will I leave them on, yes certainly for the life of the strings.

The final test is now - how long will the strings last?

For now the honeymoon is sweet.

You are the first one I've heard that has had anything positive to say about them.

Everyone else I've know that said they've tried them have just said "they stink".

I might try a set and see now. Thanks.

Thanks for the review. Elixir user here-polyweb is the one I like. One good thing about Elixirs is you don't have to stretch them like normal ones do, play it a bit, tune a bit again, and you're set.

Now that you mention them... I have a set on my ES-335. I cannot say a bad thing at all. Actually I do not notice any difference but the longer life. I remember trying them many years ago and they felt plastic and frayed quite fast. Not so now.

I remember the Elyxir Polywebs sounding good but frayed. I've been quite happy with the Nanowebs. They do last a long time.

You are the first one I've heard that has had anything positive to say about them.

Everyone else I've know that said they've tried them have just said "they stink".

I might try a set and see now. Thanks.

– crowbone

These are the new Optiweb not the Nanoweb.

It's early days I have yet to try them on the 6120 or 6128DS.

As I said brights need to be dialled back and first strum was different.

I've been playing nanoweb's for over 20 years.

Now that you mention them... I have a set on my ES-335. I cannot say a bad thing at all. Actually I do not notice any difference but the longer life. I remember trying them many years ago and they felt plastic and frayed quite fast. Not so now.

– sascha

They still sound the same this morning and as you say - pretty much the same tone as a normal round wound.

I think I actually prefer the wound to unwound balance and that smooth feel.

If only I could find a string that doesn't have "that new string tone". DR Pure Blues are the closest I've found, but even those have some of that awful jangle for a few days.

Otter, try the Elixir Polywebs, they sound broken in-no zing or trebly tone of a typical fresh set. I found out some strings have no balance on tension, like the 1st string is harder to bend and the 2nd and 3rd are wobbly, the Elixirs are balanced.

I also use it in my acoustics, I haven't changed my Takamine dreadnought in two years-still sound good to my ears.

OK, just put a set of 11 - 49s on my 6128TDS.

Perfect. Everything I heard on the Tele stands for the Gretsch.

On reflection, I suspect the strings on the Fender were a bit further gone than I thought but the set of D'Addarios on the 6128 were just showing signs of dullness on the 6th E.

These really do sound like a set of newly broken in D'Ads or Slinkys. Still got nice full tone on 1, 2 & 3 (unwound) and really smooth transition from wound to unwound strings.

If these last anything like the nanowebs on my acoustics then they will be my strings of choice for all my electrics.

Thanks for the review. I use Elixirs on all my electrics now (Nanowebs), and am intrigued by the Optiwebs. Will try them out for sure.

I have had a set on my Tele since February and they still sound very fresh and vibrant.

What's more, they look, sound and feel like regular guitar strings.

Enough said really

I have been using Nanowebs on my acoustic and electrics for years and have been happy with them. Your reviews make me curious to try these new Optiwebs.

Well, I started the thread. Initial impressions were good but the honeymoon has been cut short - by the side cutters. I will happily return to more frequent string changes and the tone I have come to recognize as ME with EB Slinkies.

Well don't leave us hanging, what changed your mind?

Hah! Side cutters - Australian colloquial for diagonal pliers.

Commonly used in electronics for stripping and cutting wires.

Well don't leave us hanging, what changed your mind?

– Suprdave

Some of these things are in our heads and I'm not sure I can articulate my concerns so that others " get " it.

Straight up strong picking with a plectrum or finger picks ( I use thumb and two finger picks ) seemed fine.

When strumming I felt heavy to light attack produced a different sound maybe like the music fell out of the chord when you just brush across the strings.

Again, when strumming, I use a lot of embellishments with hammer-ons, pull offs etc. These seemed to get lost particularly on middle strings.

Anyhow, I'm not one to fiddle about or agonize over things. If in doubt get on with playing and for me that will be with tried and true Slinkies.

Register Sign in to join the conversation