Other Equipment

homerecording

I've been a Tascam fan for decades, since the days of tape. Never been impressed with Zoom, but that's me.

How about 4 tracks? It happens I have one of these for sale, literally never used, at 100.00 less.

https://www.sweetwater.com/...

Mine's here: https://reverb.com/item/108...

Might be not only a good one to start with (built-in reverb, 4 separate tracks), but something you can grow with for awhile too.

Here is my recording demo with Zoom H1 (multitrack with aid of computer). I have no experience with Tascam, I think both should be fine, if all you need is single stereo track recording. But as Proteus wrote, you might want to consider multitrack recorder instead.

I have a DR-05. I think that it sounds very good and natural. I've used it mainly to record acoustic demos to remember songs. I bought a little stand adapter for it, and if positioned in a good spot, it could do close to album quality recordings. The built in compression and stereo reverbs sound really nice. You can record it right to a WAV file and easily upload it, or burn it to a cd-r.

If you wanted to have 24 tracks, I would recommend the Tascam DP24SD. Price is about $500 new, but you could get if for $400 - $425 if you catch a good sale. You can't have too many tracks. It has a large color screen and large faders.

If you wanted to have 24 tracks, I would recommend the Tascam DP24SD. Price is about $500 new, but you could get if for $400 - $425 if you catch a good sale. You can't have too many tracks. It has a large color screen and large faders.

– beatbyrd

I just recently got that recorder. I love it! Do you have one?? I got mine under 4 on a sale. I recorded this album on it: https://andhow1.bandcamp.co...

I was looking at these but then was birthday gifted (today’s the day) a Presonus Audiobox USB 96 and Shure SM58. I don’t have the XLR cable yet for the mic, but it is due shortly.

So far, I’m happy with what I’ve recorded as it is my first foray into home recording.

I was looking at these but then was birthday gifted (today’s the day) a Presonus Audiobox USB 96 and Shure SM58. I don’t have the XLR cable yet for the mic, but it is due shortly.

So far, I’m happy with what I’ve recorded as it is my first foray into home recording.

– Adsy81

Happy Birthday, Adsy81!
Awesome! Lets hear what you recorded!

I just recently got that recorder. I love it! Do you have one?? I got mine under 4 on a sale. I recorded this album on it: https://andhow1.bandcamp.co...

– hilosean

I have a Tascam DP32SD that's still brand new in the box. I started with a Tascam 2488 NEO and wore out the commonly used buttons and the jog wheel after about 60+ songs.

So, I bought another NEO and I'm still using that. Shortly after buying the second one, I had the first NEO refurbed and haven't used it yet. I saw a great deal on a new DP32SD last year and bought it as insurance against my NEOs wearing out. Tascam discontinued the 2488 NEO a few years ago.

After another 60+ songs, my current NEO (the second one) is just starting to show signs of the button/jog wheel wear, so I impulsively bought a third NEO on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly, only 20 hours on it. The seller was apparently unable to figure it out because the only song on it is titled 'GOOD_RIDDNCE' and has no recorded tracks. So now I have three 2488 NEOs and a DP32SD. I am partial to the 2488 NEOs because I understand them (nearly completely) from working with them for around 10 years. Sorry for the long story.

I checked out your album and it's very, very good. You've got all the skills: songwriting, playing, singing, and recording. My two favorites are 'Like Melody' and 'Sideways'. Very nice work.

I have a Roland VS2480 on consignment for a reasonable price. But they're heavy beasts and the shipping cost would certainly curtail the thrill of purchase if you want it sent to you..

However, I mention it because it is for sale at this moment and I am not sure where the OP is located, so who knows?

I checked out your album and it's very, very good. You've got all the skills: songwriting, playing, singing, and recording. My two favorites are 'Like Melody' and 'Sideways'. Very nice work.

– beatbyrd

Thanks so much!

I'd love to hear your recordings!! Do you have them anywhere on the interweb to listen?

I know what you mean, I wore out 3 dp-08 recorders. The buttons go fast! I'm hoping that the 24sd will hold up much longer!

Thanks so much!

I'd love to hear your recordings!! Do you have them anywhere on the interweb to listen?

I know what you mean, I wore out 3 dp-08 recorders. The buttons go fast! I'm hoping that the 24sd will hold up much longer!

– hilosean

I had a dedicated website for over 6 years, with about 70 cover songs on it. It's gone now. I could email a couple if you contact me via email (off the forum).

If you plan on doing this for a while, it might be good to get a backup unit - if the right sale comes along. A light touch helps to prolong the life of those tiny switches.

Liked your album - very Red Balloon(ish) kinda sounding.

I've been a Tascam fan for decades, since the days of tape. Never been impressed with Zoom, but that's me.

How about 4 tracks? It happens I have one of these for sale, literally never used, at 100.00 less.

https://www.sweetwater.com/...

Mine's here: https://reverb.com/item/108...

Might be not only a good one to start with (built-in reverb, 4 separate tracks), but something you can grow with for awhile too.

– Proteus

What has prompted that sale? I thought that you liked this device.

I do like it. But the very day it came in, I found the Roland R-26 I'd misplaced, and because I'd had the Roland longer and am more familiar with it, I kept it.

I was going to keep the Tascam as well, but (as you may know) I've been on a mad gear buying spree, accompanied by an equally fervid push to turn under-used gear into spree money. The Tascam was as new in box, and easy to turn on Reverb.

If I lose the R-26 again, I'll get the Tascam - which has essentially the same functionality for half the money.

Register Sign in to join the conversation