Other Equipment

Guys who don’t hate tube screamers…

A while back (three years ago) I bought a tube screamer reissue.

I've used it ever since. Seems to work fine with my 6120, Space Echo and Dynobrain...

No probs at all. Everyone can hear my solos and they cut through. Tone seems okay...

Erm... am I deaf? There are a lot of anti-tube screamer guys here, but it seems to work for me.

Can't decide if I want it before or after the dyno though.

K

I like 'em.

And I should get one.

Hey Ratrod,

Mine's working great for what I do... which is why I can't understand the hate. I get a decent tone that stays wet enough (but bright if I want) for the gigs I do. And when I play louder volume gigs it just sounds fantastic...

But it would be nice to add another driver into the mix to stomp on in some solo situations... which is why I was thinking of adding a second one like in the old Setzer vid.

Hmmm...

Still thinking.

K

Pretty decent pedal. A good friend of mine runs a Tubescreamer & a clone on his pedalboard. They always sound great in his rig

Everybody makes a TS clone, with the EQ tweaked to make it "better", the fact of which tries to make ya think there's somethin' wrong with a stock Tubescreamer. Well, there ain't! IMO perhaps the best all around crunch pedal ever made. I think they record very well. I have a reissue TS-whatever, but the best one I ever heard was an old original. It was astounding. I tried to buy it off the guy many times, but nope. It was on long-term loan to a good friend in another band I gigged with, and the owner didn't even play, if I remember right. This was in the mid-90s... I digress, but I still think about that pedal sometimes.

nothin wrong with a tube screamer and the fact that its colored and has a mid hump is what gives it its charm...but a stock tubescreamer has some serious POS parts in it and is not true bypass but rather FET bypass with a constant line conditioner going through it..

Dump the waste of time electronic flip-flop switching and line buffer..and you have a stripped down little opamp overdrive. Then put in some closer tolerance components, they dont have to be magic mojo NOS allen bradley carbon comps or panasonic poly capacitors... Just hifi quality stuff.

A better and more adjustable EQ is very nice.. so take all I mentioned above and the part about a good EQ and you get BARBER ELECTRONICS..

I've been using either a Barber Burn Unit or Tone Pump for years with my gretsch, because it lets me get the Reverend Horton Heat at many different live SPL settings.

Its just a very well built Tubescreamer, built here with great thought behind it. Ibanez never made pedals, MAXON made them and Ibanez put their name on them.

The only thing I like better in the opamp with clipping diodes catagory that lets the guitar through the grind is a pedal I'm making w/ fez'd gorilla.. BUT that doesnt mean my duel tubescreamer by Barber is leaving my pedal board anytime soon.

give a listen to this guys demo, he's a blues noodler and you can hear the clarity and the color well.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Never had a Tube Screamer... but I use a T Rex Alberta - and people tell me that's like a TS. I like it... and have used it for years (but, recently, I probably have my Fulltone Full Drive II switched on for more songs than the Alberta).

Mine has been on loan for so long I guess I really don't miss it. :|

What's a good new or used price on these bad boys?

Never had a Tube Screamer... but I use a T Rex Alberta - and people tell me that's like a TS. I like it... and have used it for years (but, recently, I probably have my Fulltone Full Drive II switched on for more songs than the Alberta).

– OldPicker

– OldPicker

A fulltone fulldrive is a tubescreamer. :) Mike was one of the very first to get fed up with the stuff I mentioned above so he took that TS808 circuit and put really great parts in it, made an even stronger true bypass box for it and then gave the player options like uncompressed which lifts the diodes from the circuit. The "fuller" difference on this Fulldrive version of a tubescreamer like most of Mike's products is that he doesnt concern himself much with the "Bedroom warrior" and focuses on the performer, so at bedroom levels the average guy is gonna choose the ibanez tube screamer over the fulldrive because it gets all dirty grindy faster. The Fulldrive on the other hand LOVES
loud stage volume and the sound is beautiful. I had one of the early orange Fulldrive II before there was such thing as a flat mids control and I had sent mine in to Mike to mod mine for flat mids and he put a switch on it. As much as that was cool, I realized I didnt want my mids flat on a tubescreamer. :)

The TIM pedal works well with the flatter mids eq but his genius is keeping the Bass out of the clipping circuit. Different approach and different textures.

my ts9... I bought new in 1982. it does color the tone some... but I have always liked it. Sometimes I use my Sparkle Drive.... I like it too...doesn't seem to color the tone. Funny cause I get enough growl outta the Hot side of my Deville...so I am currently not using pedals...except a tuner....lol

Thanks Tavo... I didn't know that about the Fulldrive!

Having never played through a TS... when it came to getting an OD pedail, I just picked what I liked the sound of - without knowing whether it sounded like this or that.

Fulldrive does sound good through a Bassman that's cooking!

I had one and didn't hate it. It's just that I have 2 Vox Valve-Tone pedals, so got to A/B them a lot. I preferred the Vox because it was easier to smooth the edges of the tone to get my "rock sound".

No. I love 'em tubescreamers. They should be played loud.

Most modders try to smooth out the mid hump & increase the low end but to me, that's the charm of a tubescreamer (always hated that name) Of course they came to prominence with SRV using one through his pile of Fender amps & this is a perfect match. Fender amps are a bit top & bottom, light on the mids, so the TS, with it's mid hump, smooths it all out. A TS through a Marshall is a bit too much mids. They need to be played at stage volume, though a cooking amp to get the best out of them, they don't sound great in a shop. Having said that, I now use Shuggie's Drive Thru.

I had a 1st run TS10 that I hated back in the 90s. Back then I didn't realize it was just sending the input stage of my (rediculously bad) Peavey Bandit 60 into saturation. It wasn't the TS10 that I disliked, it was my amp that was an utter POC.

nothin wrong with a tube screamer and the fact that its colored and has a mid hump is what gives it its charm...but a stock tubescreamer has some serious POS parts in it and is not true bypass but rather FET bypass with a constant line conditioner going through it..

Dump the waste of time electronic flip-flop switching and line buffer..and you have a stripped down little opamp overdrive. Then put in some closer tolerance components, they dont have to be magic mojo NOS allen bradley carbon comps or panasonic poly capacitors... Just hifi quality stuff.

A better and more adjustable EQ is very nice.. so take all I mentioned above and the part about a good EQ and you get BARBER ELECTRONICS..

I've been using either a Barber Burn Unit or Tone Pump for years with my gretsch, because it lets me get the Reverend Horton Heat at many different live SPL settings.

Its just a very well built Tubescreamer, built here with great thought behind it. Ibanez never made pedals, MAXON made them and Ibanez put their name on them.

The only thing I like better in the opamp with clipping diodes catagory that lets the guitar through the grind is a pedal I'm making w/ fez'd gorilla.. BUT that doesnt mean my duel tubescreamer by Barber is leaving my pedal board anytime soon.

give a listen to this guys demo, he's a blues noodler and you can hear the clarity and the color well.

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

Been Using a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier! Actually I'd love to get another one and set it up differently. I've got a few other Tubescreamers including a couple vintage and the Barber beats them hands down. The DD SS is no longer available, but if you're looking for any flavor of Overdrive a la Tubescreamer, anything Barber is the way to go.

I like Tubescreamers too. I use a TS-9. Works good. I've had it for about 25 years.

Love my Rodenberg GAS GAS 808 and 909 two in one, wow! how sound this things, listen to After DarkLink... Solo by Steven Medina ¨Tito & Tarantula¨ minute 2:40 but you can be interested from the beginning of the video Salma is wowwwwww!!!! and nothing boring, i mention cause it is a manner to use a 808 sound in an Tex Mex border Rock context, Wha tremolo and lot of reverb, Steven Medina is a kind Bono talent creating guitars sounds i refer at the creativity of his sounds, bono do music with his FX a little different but two genius tweaking knobs and mixing pedals

It's funny (in a not particularly funny way). I have a constitutional objection to Tube Screamers and their mid-humped bottom-rolled ilk when I'm playing by myself (which is, after all, most of the time). Then I prefer a more "transparent," fat, gritty, touch-sensitive dirter.

But the TS concept sure works in a band.

So I have a local guy's boutique take on it on me pedal board, and it's great for that solo boost or crunchy groove.

Proteus, Great to see you again. Hope all is good with you. Sorry for derail... but hey, it's Proteus. :D :D :D

Also if you want or need a real big sustain, TS or Fuzz are the way to go i have recently acquired The DAM Fuzzrong FR-70 an impressive clone of the famous Fuzzrite, wow!! how sound this thing. mama mia! just excellent

Pro Tone Pedals makes a good one called the Dead Horse (because everyone makes them, get it?).

God Box FX is about to offer semi-custom TS pedals with certain components and tweaks decided on by the buyer. THAT seems really awesome.

At the other end of the $$ spectrum... some guys I know and are good regional players over in Long Island, use simple 40 buck Bad Monkey's to get their job done.

I have at least 3 incarnations in one form or another and don't use any of them...;-)

I don't hate tube screamers, but I can't ever seem to get a good tone out of them. It's always too heavy & overpowering. I prefer just cranking the amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation