Other Equipment

Guitar tuner

I need a really good guitar tuner! I have a few tuners laying around but I question their accuracy. I want one that is "very" accurate, good enough to be able to "set up" intonation. Just wondering what others are using and can recommend. Thanks fellars! Steve

Meter...NOT LED's. Hard to find.

Any of Sonic Research's tuners are big heads and strong shoulders above anything else I've tried. More accurate than Boss, TC Electronic (the Polytune crapola) any of the clip-ons.

Sonic Research doesn't advertise, thus can't get a fair shake in magazine or website reviews, and only sells direct. Small operation, wants it that way.

I have the ST-300 Mini, and have never been more in tune in my life.

I still use these. They're definitely accurate enough for setting intonation. I can't stand any of the other tuners I've tried.

I have a Peterson Strobo....... In spite of all the rave reviews and Peterson's claims of perfection, I find it a painintheass and I often end up using a Snark clip-on.

I've used a Korg Chromatic tuner for many years. on my pedal board, I have a Korg Pitchblack tuner.

I have a Peterson Strobo....... In spite of all the rave reviews and Peterson's claims of perfection, I find it a painintheass and I often end up using a Snark clip-on.

– senojnad

In what way is it a pain?

Likewise, that app has been gold for me.

PitchLab Pro is a phone app (Android & iPhone) that is my most accurate tuner. It has various strobe and line modes as well as temperament and instrument type. It's accurate to + - 0.25 cents.

+1 with Billy Zoom. The Boss TU-12 is pretty good, had this since the early/mid 80’s.

I had that same model for years, then managed to run over it with a loaded dolly... sigh.

Been using clip ons or built-ins (on the amp or board) ever since. Really should get another.

In what way is it a pain?

– hammerhands

At times it bounces around all over the place -- first sharp, then flat -- when no tuning changes have been made. It seems more "wonky" when new strings are installed.

There are many other times when it works as advertised and is VERY accurate.

It is good more often than not. But the "NOT" times get frustrating. I know this can happen with any tuner. But given what I paid for the Peterson, I expected much better.

I loved my old Korg meter tuner - just happened to be what was affordable in the guitar shop when I got my first bass.

'Upgraded' to a Fender PT-10 as the guitarist had one - found it terrible. Got a Strobostomp, and a Peterson clip-on sensor with the idea of using it for acoustic and electric, but found it 'wasn't optimised' for acoustic. I found the TC Electronic stuff to be the best of the LED bunch I have tried (pedal and clip-on).

Nick

Boss TU -12 is what I use for setting intonation as well.

The TU-12H is full range. It can read low notes.

The TU-12H is full range. It can read low notes.

– Billy Zoom

Do you use this tuner on stage?

At times it bounces around all over the place -- first sharp, then flat -- when no tuning changes have been made. It seems more "wonky" when new strings are installed.

There are many other times when it works as advertised and is VERY accurate.

It is good more often than not. But the "NOT" times get frustrating. I know this can happen with any tuner. But given what I paid for the Peterson, I expected much better.

– senojnad

Strange - I've never seen this. We are talking about the phone app version, right? Could be a function of the mic sensitivity on your phone. I got a $5 adapter to connect directly to my iPhone and it works great in noisy environments. And as to cost, I think the app was ten bucks years ago when I got it, and has more than paid for itself simply by having a tuner in my pocket at all times for just impromptu jam sessions, music store visits, stage backup etc. Sorry your experience was not so good.

I tune to my Wurlitzer 140B electric piano. It's tuning is fixed, A 440Hz and can't be changed.

If you're really desperate, line hum (60 Hz) is closest to a sharp A (55Hz).

Do you use this tuner on stage?

– Enis Penvy

Yes....always.

Register Sign in to join the conversation