Other Equipment

Guitar leaves mark in case?

Hey guys. I can see the outline of my guitar in the case due to pressure. Is this normal or is that pressure causing damage?

It's fine. Tight fit means no movement inside the case---guitar is safer.

Thank you. My concern was the top was pressing down on the bigsby and might distort the bigsby or neck somehow with the pressure.

Pushing on the handle may help a bit by loosening the strings.

Swing the Bigsby handle down toward the tailpiece.

Swing the Bigsby handle down toward the tailpiece.

– wabash slim

Yeah, I've done that since I got the guitar, and it still does this. Unlike most of my cases, when I lay the guitar in the case doesn't close. It remains open like a half inch or so.

Does anyone/everyone else out there have these marks in their cases?

I've owned my 6122 since '74. Those dents were in the felt when I bought it, and they're still there as of last night.

No worries, although I agree about swinging the Bigsby handle down.

I've owned my 6122 since '74. Those dents were in the felt when I bought it, and they're still there as of last night.

No worries, although I agree about swinging the Bigsby handle down.

– Kevin Frye

Thanks for that, Kevin.

Does yours have a Bigsby? If so, when you have the guitar in the case, does the case remain slightly open (half inch or so?).

I took the guitar out today and the case closes fully on its own due to gravity. I put the guitar back in, and the case is then a half inch or so open. It is clearly the Bigsby causing this since it's the highest point. So the case must be pushing down on the Bigsby spring when it's locked shut. I notice when I manually push down on the Bigsby in the case, it seems to put pressure on the Bigsby piece and the neck.

It's great that yours has been fine for so long. I'm a bit concerned, so what you say helps. Seems the neck can "banana"/ski jump from that type of pressure over long periods of time. Maybe Joe Carducci will read this and chime in. It would be nice to hear something official from Gretsch about this. The case doesn't seem to have enough room to clear the Bigsby.

They pretty well all do that is this your first guitar?

They pretty well all do that is this your first guitar?

– Toxophilite

No, but it is my first Gretsch with this type of case. My fender case doesn't do that at all, nor do my acoustics.

Swing the trem arm toward the butt of the body when placing it in the case. The imprint of the guitar on the case lid is normal.

Well, gmascis, there you go. Wish granted.

Thankx, Joe! Any cake left??

Register Sign in to join the conversation