Other Equipment

Guitar hangers?

I'm cleaning out my guest room. It has been a storage room for about 8 years and I would like to use it as a library/music room. I need good but cheap wall hangers for my guitars. Which ones should I stay away from? Or, do you have some you would sell me, cheap? :D

I've been using String Swings, they're about 10-12 bucks a piece, and have been working really well. If you have a lot of guitars it might be worth looking into some slat wall and a few hangers for that though.

Yeah, string swings are fine, but on standard 16" stud spacing, you pretty much get one guitar for every 32" of wall. So 4 guitars will come to almost 11 feet of wall, assuming they're big hollowbodies. If they're smaller, though, or you stagger them, you might be able to space 16" apart. It'll be tight.

I need good but cheap wall hangers for my guitars. Which ones should I stay away from? -- Unclegrumpy

Take some advice from the late Joan Crawford and be sure to stay away from these :P !#$@%

Personally, I wont hang guitars I actually like; Certainly nothing as heavy as a Les Paul either. I know that they're realistically very safe, but I cant do it. :|

I use String Swings as well. To get past the stud problem I use toggle bolts. Never had a problem with them pulling out of the wall. I hang my Les Paul, White Falcon, and the super heavy Elliot Easton.

I hang mine in the case. That's the safest.

Yep. Strings Swings it is. I just bought four on Amazon a week or so ago. $8 a piece!

I have to admit, it does make me nervous hanging my guitars and I hope to get over it.

As Bax said, the best way to hang several in a row is to stagger them so you are getting contact with a stud on every one. Use one of those battery opperated stud finders so to make sure you are contacting the middle of the stud.

I use these Hurcules...

You can mount them directly on the wall, or if spacing is an issue like Bax mentioned, then you can mount them on a plank.

These are cool too!

Grump. I used the Rubbermaid rail system from Lowes.
It's designed for garden tools, and such. That way I can add/subtract/re-center as I see fit. It's cheaper than other rail type. The rail is under the cloth.

String Swings have worked just fine for me for several years.

We had 'String Swing' style hangers for a couple of our guitars. They were in studs. The Pacifica (a fairly heavy guitar) fell straight down to where my head would of been about ten minutes after I got up one day.

Could have been killed by my own guitar.

So far, so good... maybe two years at this point,,,

Diamond Life

A tad le$s than string swing slat wall strip and hangers, combinate price wise... at least when I priced back when...

Just think... a guitar store-type slat wall strip in your very own home!!!

The time came to consolidate... and the Other Half, after a trip to a music store, said... "Hey... can we do something like that in the house?"

Which was my plan all along....

Got them off the floor and into a corner. Good. Very good.

cool-- best thing I've seen so far. Now get them ugly empty string swings down off the wall! ;-)

cool-- best thing I've seen so far. Now get them ugly empty string swings down off the wall! ;-)

-- tartan phantom

There's just enough room to put a couple more slabs... if such should be.... on those pre-better-knowledge string swings... with judicious attention paid in movement... behind those that ride on the slat...

Likely... at my age and inclination... probably not... but never say never just in case of wild hairs...

use these on the top holes of the string swings if you cant hit a stud. Link...

they have a 238 lb pullout in 1/2 drywall. most hardware stores carry them these days. the only real drawback is you need to drill a good sized hole in your wall to use them. Its the only anchor we use in hollow walls anymore.

I have 7 of the String Swings on my wall for the past 10 years, and I also used the toggle bolts where there weren't studs. Do you know how heavy an ES-295 is? I also have a fur like material covering the hook part like a glove. I bought some from a guitar shop and had a few more made up. I feel better with those things on them.

Probably the reason why my guitar fell was because I spent about 30 seconds putting up the hanger.

Before that, I didn't even know what a 'stud' was, other than that's what the ladys call me.

They sell those for $5 each at our Canadian music stores, Long & MaQuade.

FYI:

String Swing = Good Hanger

FretRest = Cheap/Crap version of String Swing from GC

I use String Swings as well. To get past the stud problem I use toggle bolts. Never had a problem with them pulling out of the wall. I hang my Les Paul, White Falcon, and the super heavy Elliot Easton. -- bombcityrocker
I do the same thing and have never had an issue.

I use the above mentioned Hercules hangers (bought from my local GC). Haven't had any issues with them although they are mounted directly to the studs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation