Other Equipment

Flatwounds On A Strat

I put TI .11s on my Strat a couple of years ago and have continued to put them on. Had to add a spring to the trem. Ive never had a Strat stay in tune better than with this setup. It amazes me. Sounds great—for the sounds I use it for. I dont think ai’ll ever go back to rounds on that guitar.

I put TI .11s on my Strat a couple of years ago and have continued to put them on. Had to add a spring to the trem. Ive never had a Strat stay in tune better than with this setup. It amazes me. Sounds great—for the sounds I use it for. I dont think ai’ll ever go back to rounds on that guitar.

– Jack Skellington

TI flats are great. Love them. What music do you play on your Strat?

I used flats for a couple of years on my '58 Esquire,starting around 1960.Loved the way they felt and they had a full-throated twang rounds just couldn't make-think Duane on "Because They're Young".Trouble was they cost the equivalent of $40 a set AND they went dead fast.After awhile I decided I could live with the string squeaks and save some bux.

I used flats for a couple of years on my '58 Esquire,starting around 1960.Loved the way they felt and they had a full-throated twang rounds just couldn't make-think Duane on "Because They're Young".Trouble was they cost the equivalent of $40 a set AND they went dead fast.After awhile I decided I could live with the string squeaks and save some bux.

– DaveH

Which brand is that? Thomastik and Pyramid last a long time even if you play them often. They are expensive but I find the longevity of the strings and the tone and feel you get compared to say, D'Adarrio makes them worth it. I take it $40 means you live in a country where they are expensive but in the US they go for about $25 which is a lot to me but the life span makes it worth it.

Which brand is that? Thomastik and Pyramid last a long time even if you play them often. They are expensive but I find the longevity of the strings and the tone and feel you get compared to say, D'Adarrio makes them worth it. I take it $40 means you live in a country where they are expensive but in the US they go for about $25 which is a lot to me but the life span makes it worth it.

– ThePolecats

"Gibson Hi-Fi Flatwounds".Came in an orange box.... $5.00 a set in 1960 when I was using them.That's actually $42 and change in today's money.Not putting flats down,but I've been doing fine with rounds ever since.

TI flats are great. Love them. What music do you play on your Strat?

– ThePolecats

Mostly surfy stuff. But I like the tone overall. Its just a bit darker than the typical sound and more full. Its different from a bright/quacky strat. I think that works to keep the reverb tank from getting too clangy.

Try D'Adarrio half-round, .010 to 046, or GHS Big Core Nickel Rockers, .095 to .043

– Billy Zoom

I agree with Billy Z bit I usually use the light top, heavy bottom.

Kinda reminds me of an old girlfriend. (Did I just type that out loud).

I like the GHS Burnished Nickel strings, and was using them a lot when our bass player thought he could get me added to his GHS endorsement, but that didn't happen. And they make your fingers a nice shade of black after a while.

I had a set of T-I flats on the TVJ-equipped Talman, they were OK, but not enough to do that again when they wore out. I have the same flats (well, a different set, but the same model) on the Eastman with the P-90s in it for the jazz band, love those, and they sound great, and I've pondered putting a set on a Gretsch, just haven't decided which one yet. I used to play the half-rounds back when they first came out, but haven't tried a set in years. Maybe the Strat-like Talman, which is due for some TLC, will get some flats or half-rounds when I get around to working on it....

Flats on Strats, it oughta work, I mean, it rhymes and all.

I think you'd like the Big Core Nickel Rockers better than the burnished. Fat twang for days, and they won't make your hand black either.

I haven't used flatwounds of any Fender since 1968, and I still can't get that awful, muddy sound out of my head. Sorry guys, no taker here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation