Other Equipment

Flats

Anyone use them on 6 string? Anyone use them on their main guitars? Is stainless the way to go?

Are you asking about flat-wound strings?

If so, I use T.I. flat-wounds on all my electric guitars.

tried 'em, found them way, way too bass-y.

I hear they're great for use on a guitar that you'll do mostly slide on.

I have a strat set up with TI flats (10s) and another with roundwound, round cores (also 10s). Difference in string tension I barely notice. You can really get the Jimmie Vaughan strat sound, and the flats really tame the shrillness on the bridge and middle pickups. I don't know if I would use them if I just had one guitar, but they make a nice change and sound cool. No finger noise is a bonus.

I guess people thing of flatwound as really old school, jazz electric guitar stuff. Some say the sound / tone doesn't degrade as fast as rounds. I found the kind of slippery feeling. I do use flats on bass for sure.

I find they sound good on guitars they sound good on.

Trying them is the only way to know, and it’s a cheap experiment.

Keep a set around. Every time you change strings on anything, try the flats. Don’t cut off the excess length yet. See if you like them on that guitar. If you don’t, takem back off and put on the strings you norrmally use. Recoil the flats and save them for the next string-change opportunity on the next guitar.

When you find a guitar you like them on, trim the ends and order another set for inventory.

i have flats on the fretless Jazz Bass. i prefer the tone, and round-wounds would chew up the fingerboard. if the treble and middle positions on a Strat sound "shrill," you probably need a radical adjustment of the amp's tone controls.

I find they sound good on guitars they sound good on.

Trying them is the only way to know, and it’s a cheap experiment.

Keep a set around. Every time you change strings on anything, try the flats. Don’t cut off the excess length yet. See if you like them on that guitar. If you don’t, takem back off and put on the strings you norrmally use. Recoil the flats and save them for the next string-change opportunity on the next guitar.

When you find a guitar you like them on, trim the ends and order another set for inventory.

– Proteus

that's only going to work if all your guitars have the same scale length, space between bridge/tailpiece, and space from nut to tuners. otherwise the windings will deteriorate with every change, and you'll likely wind up with kinks in really inconvenient places e.g. 1/2 inch below the nut or similar in front of the bridge.

Yup. It’s not a perfect plan. But even with kinks where you’d rather they weren’t, you can still do the tone test. If you like, you order a set of flats for that guitar and take the testers off. You keep each string for testing until it fails completely.

Most of my guitars are strung with round wounds, but I have a few that just sound better with flats.... This one, for example. I've strung it with medium flats since day one.

I have TI 10's and 11's on almost everything. They even out the tonal spectrum for lush chordal work and don't oscillate as much as rounds, so slightly lower action and improved intonation on the "G" are added bonuses, plus, as mentioned - no finger squeak and they last forever. The feel under the fingers is pretty addictive too.

Aside from ease of bending and slightly less "wound growl" on the lower strings, I have no complaints.

Not dead sounding - sweet - full of character - love.

I like flats on some of my jazz guitars (Epiphone Joe Pass & Broadway, D'Angelico EXL1) that I tend to not do as much bending on. Flatwounds feel stiffer than roundwounds of the same gauge.

Wouldn't the cores be larger on the flat wound strings since the winding is thinner? That would account for the ease (or lack thereof) in bending.

Here's a pic nicked from D'addario.

I have TI Benson flats on my dyna falcon. They last just as long as the elixir rounds on my TR. I'm thinking switching to round TI bebobs soon to try out.

tried 'em, found them way, way too bass-y.

– macphisto

I tried them on big box Kay. They had a cool sound, but yes, bass-y! Thought I'd try 11-50 like I use on all of my guitars. Wonder if they'd keep that cool clank, minus the giant bottom end.

I have TI Benson flats on my dyna falcon. They last just as long as the elixir rounds on my TR. I'm thinking switching to round TI bebobs soon to try out.

– MaBerY

OOO, MaBerY, I like the looks of the guitar on your profile....red and silver! Can we see a full shot?

I have the thomastik jazz swing 12s on all my hollows. But rounds on the tele. I’m yet to try flats on a tele,. They are

I find on smaller amps like a Princeton reverb or 5e3 there is too much bottom for them . The non verb Princeton and bigger amps are fine

Has anyone here tried flats on a tele?

Flats + Tele = Perfect :)

I use TI 13’s on a bunch of guitars, including my Tele with TK Smith PUs and my Jazzmaster with Mosrite pickups from Curtis Novak. All sounding great to my ears/style.

I also use flats on my old Synchromatic and my ES125. Great old-school + jazzy + country and western sounds.

I use TI Jazz Swing .11s on my Falcon, but I switch the .19 for an .18; which I find more comfortable for bending.

I have the thomastik jazz swing 12s on all my hollows. But rounds on the tele. I’m yet to try flats on a tele,. They are

I find on smaller amps like a Princeton reverb or 5e3 there is too much bottom for them . The non verb Princeton and bigger amps are fine

Has anyone here tried flats on a tele?

– eCastro

I tried TI 11s on my ASAT (though it has a P90 neck pup) and didn't care for them. However, I tend to bend a lot on that guitar, and the feel just wasn't right (for me). I've gone back to round-wound (still .11s). Interestingly, I love the sound of my Falcon, with TI .11s, through my PRRI. I've swapped the Jensen out for a Celestion G10, so maybe that helps with the bottom end.

Never tried flats however, I may run the gambit using Proteus's protocol for string migration and conservation.

I would imagine that flat-wounds tear up your fingers less as well?

I find they sound good on guitars they sound good on. -Proteus

Same here. And, naturally, that will differ from person to person. I used to use them on everything, but went back to rounds for most guitars. I missed the sparkle of rounds. But I still like them on guitars with very bright pickups, mainly Fenders and HiloTron Gretsches.

Register Sign in to join the conversation