Other Equipment

Favorite strings

On my Ric 12 string I keep a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats (.10-.44) On my Gretsch I have been using D'Addario flatwound 10-48, swap out the wound G string for a .017 plain and it's done.

To answer the question of why: I like the thuddy sound the bass strings give, especially on the 12 string. Heavily compressed, it gives plenty of that chime and jangle Rickenbackers are duly famous for.

Same goes for thumb style picking on my Gretsch, nice and thumpy giving me that characteristic bump-chick sound necessarily defining the style.

Packaging aside, it's mostly all Mapes wire...Link

– Lacking Talent

Are you saying this Mapes company makes all the strings? I believe it, but they must use different techniques for each company, because I can definitely feel a difference with GHS strings compared to the others I've used

Are you saying this Mapes company makes all the strings? I believe it, but they must use different techniques for each company, because I can definitely feel a difference with GHS strings compared to the others I've used

– Chmason85

They make core and wrap wire. I don't think they wind strings.

Pyramid pure nickel rounds, 11 to 48.

I've been to several string factories and watched them wind strings. It's all individual...not done by one company, not done by a machine, etc. There are huge differences, regardless of who they buy their raw wire from. Some wind in open warehouses, some have sealed rooms with carefully controled temp & humidity. Some touch the wire with their hands, others never do, etc. On wound strings, there's also the matter of the thickness ratio between the core wire and the wound wire. It makes a big difference...like how D'addario winds Fender strings, but Fender strings don't sound anything like D'addarios or how Big Core Nickel Rockers sound twangier that regular Nickel Rockers. There are other differences too. In the end, it all comes down to a person, and a machine that looks sort of like a big lathe, with a wire strung between centers, and a human feeding the winding around it. Yes, each string is wound individually...no, they don't have a machine that just spits out miles of guitar string.

Well my nickel rockers just showed up in the mail, time to slap those on

great post bz ^

absolutely, strings are more than a gauge and a brand...each string has it's own recipe...inner core..is it round or hex, thick or thin..outer wrap? is it ss, nps, pure nickel, cobalt...is it thinly wrapped or double wrapped?? etc etc

the further you look into it, the more you can define what works best for you...& on that specific guitar!

i tend to like the pure nickel round core strings...flats and rounds...like thomastik swings...dr. pure blues...pyramids...

old fender 150's were great

like the ghs big cores and dunlop or d'addario nickel plated steels on some guitars as well..whatever sounds/works best

cheers

I just restrung with nickel rockers last night and forgot how smooth and balanced these feel, the slight bit of extra tension is nice. They took their set so fast and are real smooth with bigsby use

I've been to several string factories and watched them wind strings. It's all individual...not done by one company, not done by a machine, etc. There are huge differences, regardless of who they buy their raw wire from. Some wind in open warehouses, some have sealed rooms with carefully controled temp & humidity. Some touch the wire with their hands, others never do, etc. On wound strings, there's also the matter of the thickness ratio between the core wire and the wound wire. It makes a big difference...like how D'addario winds Fender strings, but Fender strings don't sound anything like D'addarios or how Big Core Nickel Rockers sound twangier that regular Nickel Rockers. There are other differences too. In the end, it all comes down to a person, and a machine that looks sort of like a big lathe, with a wire strung between centers, and a human feeding the winding around it. Yes, each string is wound individually...no, they don't have a machine that just spits out miles of guitar string.

– Billy Zoom

Billy is exactly right.

For those that expressed curiosity, what Mapes does is supply core wire to other companies that -- as Billy describes above -- have their own "recipe," if you will, for wrapping, winding, grinding, etc. Mapes also sells its made-in-house brand of strings (which I guess the company has been making for, like, a hundred years) for a variety of instruments, for less dough than the big name brands for which it's the wire supplier.

Hey, that rhymes.

Best string I have found are the Pyramid Pure Nickel Round Cores. For a bit of economy I like DR Pure Blues 11-50 . The Round Core strings are just a bit more flexible and allow me to use a little heavier string----which I like since I tune down a half-step with my band.Plus the pure nickel round-core string never has that harsh,brassy,"new-string-that-I -cant-wait -to-break-in" sound

Register Sign in to join the conversation