Other Equipment

Echo vs Reverb Your Preference?

Just curious what you guys prefer. I suppose it depends on what song you are playing but in general what do you prefer?

I always liked both but was a reverb junky. The more the better I say but recently I found that echo is much better to my ears. I love surf and I love rockabilly. Typically surf will be reverb territory but may of the early surf songs were either dry with no effects or even had echo. People say that The Ventures didn't use reverb until I think 1964 or 1963 and were without effect prior to that but I think they used echo on "Walk Don't Run" and other songs in the begging. Of course Dick Dale got Reverb started and made it popular and he is the King of Surf. For rockabilly people we love echo or delay but reverb is used in rockabilly too. Setzer used reverb didn't he in the early days of the Stray Cars along with echo. Doesn't Dave Gonzalez use reverb?

So recently I have been enjoying echo more although I have the option of both.

........" You can't Have One Without The Other.............." (from "Love And Marriage" by Frank Sinatra, circa 1955)

Definitely in the”both” camp here. I use both at the same time in my surf band.I have a Billy Zoom little Kahuna and a plethora of delay pedals to ensure I am swathed in surfy echoey goodness at all times!

reverb. "echo" to me is a subspecies of delay, and typical "slapback" duty cycle is much too short to be useful to me. i'm not even interested in delays that have less than 2000ms of delay time.

........" You can't Have One Without The Other.............." (from "Love And Marriage" by Frank Sinatra, circa 1955)

– senojnad

I beg to differ with Frank. I love many people and have never married, so...

As for the topic, I usually have a bit of slap back on, preferably dynamic, so it gives a slight amount of depth while keeping the notes clear and sparkly. Then sometimes adding a little reverb for mood. I’m obviously not a surf dog.

I've gotta have some 'verb. Echo's nice, too, tho. It's apples and oranges. They're both nice, but, I can get by without echo.

I like and use both. Slap back echo with a little bit of reverb is what I prefer

/JR

Neither one on my pedal board. Maybe I'm missing out.

Both are just cosmetic masks to cover bad playing.

For most applications, I prefer delay. As it is more articulate. I rarely use them together, as I find the atmospheric reverb mushes up the delay/echo that I like to be more percussive. If I had to possess only one, I'd definitely pick delay. Hands down. Every time. But the combination of tremolo and reverb, if both are high quality, can be absolutely lovely.

– Proteus

You will get some bites with this.

Oh, I hope so. Surely most will know my tongue is so firmly driven into my cheek it's about to pop out like the Alien.

(spring) reverb, echo and tremolo are the Holy Trinity of guitar effects. Though I wouldn't want to miss the other two, spring reverb really is my crutch, and what's on 75% of the time when I'm playing.

I usually use both for any type of 'billy' music. I prefer to only use echo when I'm blowing harp.

Ideally I'd like two of each to avoid having to fiddle around at ground level during a gig. So, one plate reverb set for a light effect, the other for a more obvious spring sound. One tape delay for slapback, a second delay set for more spacey stuff.

– Proteus

are you familiar with the term "drawn and quartered"?

In the 80s I used slap back echo.

In the 90s I wanted reverb but my 63 Bassman didn’t have it, I didn’t like any of the digital ones and I was too lazy to carry around my Fender Reverb unit. So I set my delay to a sort of reverberish setting.

Then in the 2000s I got a reverb I liked and used it for a while.

But now I mostly play dry because I feel it muddies up the sound too much. I just use some overdrive that I control with my guitar volume. I do sometimes switch on a lot of reverb together with my fuzz when I want to go crazy.

– Proteus

You've said a clean tele is like going to confession.

Oh, I hope so. Surely most will know my tongue is so firmly driven into my cheek it's about to pop out like the Alien.

– Proteus

Maybe my WHOLE pedalboard should just be echo and reverb.

Man, I said that? I remember waxing rhapsodic about Teles in a recent thread, and that statement does sum up one of my thoughts about Telecasters, but did I really say it so succinctly?

I'm proud of me! That oughta go viral, in the small world of guys who would care.

I'm also in the Both camp, but when I use both, I have the reverb turned down lower than when I use reverb alone. Too much reverb along with delay does tend to dearticulate the delays clarity. My main tube amp has real spring reverb, which I like more than digital reverb. In any case, I always use the minimum of any effect, just enough to enhance not overwhelm.

Echo for vocals, Reverb for guitar. Plate Reverb for drums.

I know this should be easy considering the song but what did David Gilmour use on the song "Ehoes"? I really don't know and don't believe 100% of what I have read: I think I read that it was an Italian made Binson Echorec. He then switched to digital in the '78 because he was tired of cleaning it.

I keep the question open because I love that sound and that is what I like for a very select mood I am in and am looking to create with that tone.

Can anyone confirm if this is right or wrong?

I have reverb on my 60W Tech 21 and use it at around 25%......I feel it gives my tone a little more dimension.

Except for my Wah pedal on "Voodoo Chile(Slight Return)" and "Come On (part III)", I don't use any effects.

Man, I said that? I remember waxing rhapsodic about Teles in a recent thread, and that statement does sum up one of my thoughts about Telecasters, but did I really say it so succinctly?

I'm proud of me! That oughta go viral, in the small world of guys who would care.

– Proteus

Those are my words, but inspired by yours.

Ah. I didn't think it was like me to wrap anything that tight.

Register Sign in to join the conversation