Other Equipment

Ear protection

Anytime you have any change in hearing, see your general practitioner immediately for a recommended Ear Nose and Throat referral. Somethings can be done to help your hearing, but often only if you get help immediately. Your ENT should be able to tell you what treatment can and should be done. Otherwise, most hearing damage is permanent.

I had a scare where I lost all the hearing in one ear, probably from a virus irritating the nerve. I saw an ENT the next day and was given a prescription that returned my hearing to normal.

As for hearing protection: A few years ago I went to Sensophonics in Chicago for custom fitted earplugs. The are soft silicone so they are super comfortable. They also attenuate all frequencies evenly, so things don't sound muffled. I went with 15 dB of attenuation. You can usually get the same product from hospitals and some ENTs. I take mine everywhere. They were well worth the $125 I spent on them.

tinnitus IS forever(boy forever is a long time) not the end all be all,but preventable ..so?.. these days one can't play louder than a loud t.v. shouldn't be too hard to prevent ;-)

some nights... ggrrrrrr....

occupational hazard(if your an office worker expect paper cuts,if you race cars for a living,your gonna crash)...

If anyone claps his hands near me, my ears ring extra for two months.

Any sound louder than a TV gets distorted in my head. I can't hear what it is anymore, not even what tune or instrument.

I regret my hearing accident every day.

In my late teens thru early 20s, I played up to a 4 x12 cab with a big ole Traynor 150w head atop it.. Now I have what can best be described as a "dead zone" just above the 15th fret on the high E string. It's not gone, but it has to be pretty dang loud for me to hear it as clearly as most other frequencies. However, I consider myself lucky, because that's the only damage I seem to have suffered. By the time I was 30, I found I was only playing loud enough onstage to use my amp as a monitor, and all the "loud" was being pumped out through the mains (5,000W at one point). Many times, we could converse during the performance without shouting.

Nowadays, it's mostly folk music.. and digital drums running back at us through the monitors.. Quite livable.

I've been lucky.

I have tinnitus pretty bad from my military years. It is compounded by many many live shows and loud playing.

I started wearing Hearos to shows and that helped A LOT as far as protecting my ears. Post-show ringing is almost nil now, but during the show there is some definite frequency muffling caused by the plugs.

I'm going to check out those SureFire Sonic Defenders. Thanks for the link Ripley 8-)

Fortunately my band doesn't play too loud and we practice with electronic drums.

For me, it's concerts. I always bring my earplugs, as soon as I start to feel funny in my head, I put them in. They usually make it sound better too since the main sound still gets through but all the echos and boomy bass get attenuated.

i use these: http://www.etymotic.com/hp/...

I honestly do not go to concerts anymore and I program my drum tracks, so no standing in front of a live drum kit in a small room either. I played in metal bands for so long, though, that I have serious hearing trouble, especially if there is any kind of background noise. My advice for anyone who plays in a band, especially one who can't control their volume, is spend the money and get ear monitors.

My tinnitus is in the right ear only ; if its in the left, its barely noticeable. It's not as bad as some here, so i feel lucky.

I can attribute it to a combination of things: About 13 years ago when my daughter was a baby, she was sick and had a big screaming cry in my right ear as i was holding her. A year or so after that, i was bending down to adjust one of my effects pedals and a big stinging high note let loose from the Marshall half stack aimed directly at my right ear from about 2 feet away. I recovered quickly enough from both of those without any noticeable after effects, but about 5 years ago I went through a big White Stripes kick and listened to a lot of their material in the car. Not at super high volume, but a reasonable one, and a lot of repetition of only their material. I also had to practice under headphones intensely right around then for a specific solo gig. Shortly thereafter i started noticing the tinnitus in the right ear.

Biggest fallout is that i had to stop playing the sarod due to the sympathetics, which were all at that frequency range. sometimes the wrong set of overtones or harmonics can get uncomfortable when playing electric, but not too often. I dont trust myself to accurately EQ things when mixing anymore, and I also cant use headphones at all.

as the new band ramps up, gig-wise, I'll definitely check out some of these ear plugs folks have posted. Thanks for all the info, folks!

I've been using Etymotic musicians earplugs. They do a good job of filtering sounds to the ear to an exceptable level. You don't hear the music differently, just quieter. They started out making hearing aids, and moved into ear protection. They have 15dB and 20dB ones for $12-$14. If you need to use them a lot, or for long periods of time, they have custom moldings that have changeable filters in 2,9,15 & 25 dB ratings.
http://www.etymotic.com/hp/

Etymotic ear plugs are the way to go. I tried every foam ear plug known to man before I pulled out my wallet and paid for the custom fit Etymotics. The best money I ever spent. I use the 25db filters in mine, I found the lower db filters still were not enough for me. I would not set foot on stage without them! I would cancel a show if they came up missing. My hearing became super sensitive from playing in a band, drop a fork in the kitchen sink and it feels like a knife cutting through my brain. It is no joke, protect your hearing!

Etymotic ear plugs are the way to go. I tried every foam ear plug known to man before I pulled out my wallet and paid for the custom fit Etymotics. The best money I ever spent. I use the 25db filters in mine, I found the lower db filters still were not enough for me. I would not set foot on stage without them! I would cancel a show if they came up missing. My hearing became super sensitive from playing in a band, drop a fork in the kitchen sink and it feels like a knife cutting through my brain. It is no joke, protect your hearing!

– rockabillydoc

– rockabillydoc

I have the set of filters. I use the lower filters in loud bars, or when on airplanes. In fact I had them on at the BaltoDC roundup!

Register Sign in to join the conversation