Other Equipment

Do Older Pedals Loose Their Effectiveness?

No pun intended but do older pedals loose their effectiveness?

Example, I have a Boss CE-2 that is about 35 years old and it doesn't seem to have as pronounced Chorus effect as it used to. I wonder if maybe because I have been using Flange as well that maybe it's an audio illusion that I think the chorus isn't as effective as it used to, or is it really losing it's chorus ability over time due to decades of use?

I am the second owner or third, not sure how many used it before me. I got it about 20 years ago.

Thanks

It's possible some caps could need to be replaced (or in a chorus, maybe a light bulb). But I'd guess it's more likely that you're just used to the sound.

Otter, you are probably right about used to the sound.

If you're like me, your ears aren't what they were 35 years ago.

If you're like me, your ears aren't what they were 35 years ago.

– wabash slim

That is a possibility too.

I also noticed that the choruses these days are not as strong as they used to be.

It depends on what components it uses

Agree with otter, it's primarily capacitors ... also solder joints could crack

I have a Boss Chorus that I bought in 1982,(and I'm the second owner), that still sound great. I even prefer it over the latest Boss Stereo Chorus. I also have a Boss Flanger from '82 & a Boss Super Overdrive from '83 that both kick A too.

Aside from that, I don't use the Chorus & Flanger together.

They must lose their effectiveness or I wouldn't have spent so much money on so many different pedals over the last many years. :)

"Do older pedals loose their effectiveness?"

No, but our ears do.

Actually there is something wrong with it. It is a Boss CE-2. When I turn the right knob it has no effect. I have to mess with it a bit then it barely responds. I know people repair amps but don't know where to bring it to get repaired. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Every time I pass by this thread Title I go dyslexic, I think it reads "People".

Answer...Yes!

I know an amp guy locally that repairs/rebuilds them. You may ask your local music store if they know of someone.

I know an amp guy locally that repairs/rebuilds them. You may ask your local music store if they know of someone.

– Suprdave

Thanks for suggestion. I wasn't thinking of an amp tech but it makes sense for an amp tech to fix pedals.

Last time I tried to fix a pedal I destroyed it. It was already broken but was really destroyed after I messed with it so I'll bring it to a qualified repairman.

In the meantime I'd say my CE-3 will do until I get the CE-2 fixed.

I also noticed that the choruses these days are not as strong as they used to be.

– sascha

Marr used a Jazz Chorus amp many times and I think he also had a CE-2 pedal like my broken pedal.

You are right I think chorus effects were made more strong than now. I think most people rather have a CE-2 than some new model.

Marr used a Jazz Chorus amp many times and I think he also had a CE-2 pedal like my broken pedal.

You are right I think chorus effects were made more strong than now. I think most people rather have a CE-2 than some new model.

– ThePolecats

Sorry, I just tried to be funny and made a crappy word-play with 'chorus' in the meaning of 'refrain'.

sascha, sorry didn't get what u meant.

Love the vibe in that Smiths song. You hear Ultravox, Reep The Wiled Wind melody....it gets obvious towards the end.

At least an old Boss pedal can be fixed. Although it's arguable whether an old Boss chorus should be fixed... But try fixing a new one. You'd need a microscope. And no, I am not kidding!

I have spent the past year building pedals for fun. And it IS a lot of fun. But it is getting really tough to find some of the parts as they become obsolete more and more quickly. I'm finding it easier to source decent quality germanium transistors than some more recent silicon transistors.

Register Sign in to join the conversation