Other Equipment

dBridges: the better bar bridge

A new kind of bar bridge is born that combines the advantages of a bar bridge with the perfect intonation of a TOM. I'm honored to review the first prototypes and I'm deeply impressed. Read the full review here, don't miss it if you're looking for a real improvement:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com...

These look like they are intonated for a plain G string How are the edges? They look a little pointy

These look like they are intonated for a plain G string How are the edges? They look a little pointy

– Toxophilite

Please check the detailled review. Every bridge is built individually. Those are made for MY individual needs and yep, plain G. No sharp edges!

I have always been surprised why I don't see this style of intonation more often. Very few steps and 6x repetitive. It's iterative, but once you find the mark, just keep using the same set of strings.

I made this Bridge/Saddle combo 10+ years ago. A One-Off. Saddles done by hand with a small file...

Not perfect, but fully functional. If I make another, I'll do a bit better on the notch cosmetics.

I know where the crossover points are now....

Yawn...they kinda look like Legos

I dig them! I'm not sure they look quite as elegant as a standard bar bridge but as i get older i get more picky about my tuning and looks like these could get you close to the mark. do they sound good?

Yawn...they kinda look like Legos

– Otter

Hehe, I suppose they do in Stefan's photo. They look a lot better when fitted

I dig them! I'm not sure they look quite as elegant as a standard bar bridge but as i get older i get more picky about my tuning and looks like these could get you close to the mark. do they sound good?

– paul pigat

The ebano bridge sounds really great, I still have to try the aluminum version. But I'm sure it will sound great as well. Please check my review on GT for more details (link in the 1st post). I've played a Compton, a Tru Arc and of course the stock bridge on my Guild, but the dBridge sounds best!

(Unable to edit in the post above) I just put the ebano bridge on the rosewood bridge base of my Guild. A bit mismatched aesthetically, but that doesn't hurt the great tone!

And here's a sound example from Dave and his ebano-bridge (Streamliner/T-Armonds/Peavey Bandit):

Nice pickin' Stefan!

So, Dave B, will these bridges be generally available at some point? I'd be interested in trying a brass one on my 6120N.

My bad, Dave's the great picker ;)

@Thomas : Ebano is an eco-friendly alternative to ebony. It looks, feels & machines like the real thing, but has a real consistent grain & colour. I'll also be making dBridges available in real ebony, but I enjoy experimenting with alternative materials. I'm also doing some trials with Corian.

@Frank_NH : Yes, as soon as I have a website and the final production details sorted out, dBridges will be available generally. It's just me working out of my small workshop, so it should all come together shortly.

They look interesting....sort of like a TOM and a bar bridge got together and had a baby. Will they be available in different radii and profile heights (the one's in the pictures look a bit tall)?

They look interesting....sort of like a TOM and a bar bridge got together and had a baby. Will they be available in different radii and profile heights (the one's in the pictures look a bit tall)?

– Gretschadelphia

You can have any radius, post spacing, string spacing, profile height and saddle positions you require. I hand build each bridge to order.

Well come on in, the water's fine! The more the merrier!

Can't help but note, however, that the Tru-Arc™ SerpenTune has "combined the advantages of a bar bridge with the perfect intonation of a TOM" since...oh, January 2014. Of course, it's a very different design, based on the traditional aesthetics and rocking functionality of the Gretsch rocking bar.

Just for the sake of clarity.

I'm thoroughly biased, of course, but I think of the Tru-Arc™ as the Cadillac™ of Bar Bridges. (In two series, five metals - plus glass - for two standard radii, three bottom profiles, every Gretsch post spacing/diameter, and with specific models to fit every Gretsch known to man.)

You don't know where they are coming from, you just know they are coming...!

Sport, Entertainment, or Business...

Sketch your TOM positions for the string set you use on a piece of paper, along with basic measurements, send it long to Dave B.

Heck, just take a pic with your phone!

Dave. B is now up to 4 posts here at GDP, Stefan obviously more...

I seem to be stupid happy with just the 12" radius Gretsch RBB. That crazy Bigsby sound don't care. I call it "attenuated-muted-yearning".

You can have any radius, post spacing, string spacing, profile height and saddle positions you require. I hand build each bridge to order.

– Dave B

Dave, can you explain please the rationale behind having the block style extra material between the bridge saddles? I'm assuming this look spawned the comment regarding these looking like lego. I myself can't see the necessity for this extra material so could you please enlighten us?

As much as I love the way the Serpentune is designed, made, finished, etc - it really is a wonderful thing - I haven't bonded with the tone of those I have tried. I am yet to find any bridge made of stainless steel i like the sound of. I have tried Tele saddles, TOMs and Strat saddles made of stainless on various guitars and a Compton, regular Tru-arc and Serpentune in stainless and they always sound "wrong" somehow.

I like the sound of brass saddles on a zinc TOM on my Gretsch. But I tried a brass Serpentune on my Gretsch and it's too gentle a sound. I have discovered that I LOVE "cold-rolled" steel saddles on a Tele. The original Tele saddles before they were brass sound great. I guess it's what we call mild steel here in Australia?

So as much as I am blown away by how well the Tru-arcs work - and they perform better than any other I have tried - I haven't found the sound I like, so continue to use the Gibson TOM without the wire.

I would interested to hear a d-bridge if they make one in regular steel. Nickel-plated is fine by me. And FWIW I don't find the Serpentune to be any more comfortable with palm-muting than a TOM. Bit of a non-issue for me I'm afraid!

You don't know where they are coming from, you just know they are coming...!

Sport, Entertainment, or Business...

Sketch your TOM positions for the string set you use on a piece of paper, along with basic measurements, send it long to Dave B.

Heck, just take a pic with your phone!

Dave. B is now up to 4 posts here at GDP, Stefan obviously more...

I seem to be stupid happy with just the 12" radius Gretsch RBB. That crazy Bigsby sound don't care. I call it "attenuated-muted-yearning".

– Twangmeisternyc

The number of posts don't say anything about those innovative dBridges. I just want to let you guys know about those paramount sounding, perfect intonating tonepieces. Please keep in mind they're prototypes and flamenew. Stay tuned if you like for my review of the aluminum bridge next time.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of the post count too. I'm all for new ideas which might improve our favourite guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation