Other Equipment

Current production tape-echo

Are there any tape-echo units other than the Fulltone TTE being produced currently? I'm in dire need of a tape echo but I live in Australia so getting one of those is out of the question.

I don't know what living in AUS has anything to do with it, but to my knowledge, there are none being made in AUS. So anything you buy is overseas shipping & customs. And the Only ones I'm aware of are the Echomatic (UK) and the Echoverb (UK I think)... and I don't think either one is currently made, the lived a very short time, but you can usually find them on ebay.

The manufacture of the Fulltone TTE won't ship outside of the US.

Thanks for the heads up re: the echomatic and echoverb, I'll look into those.

Get an American friend to act as a go-between for ya.

-- JoseValentino

I think that is completely stupid.. I mean I understand regarding europe's strict CE nonsense but Australia is a totally different story. It's crazy when I send a pedal to England or Germany, it stays in customs for well over a week and they have to pay tax. When I send a pedal or AMP to Oz its there in their hands in 5-7 days and no customs tax for anything thing under $1000. Similar situation with Switzerland... what polital-economic alliances do we as americans have with these nations? :)

ps. the only other thing I can think of is ROhS compliance? No one here likes soldering with lead free solder, its pain in the arse. Also Jose.. I have one word for you "Strymon El Capistan" + preamp"

I guess it doesn't help you with the import issue, but I heard Fulltone was coming out with a solid state tape echo. Supposed to be more of an Echoplex-y thing, at half the price of their TTE. Maybe they'd be more willing to export that one...

I guess it doesn't help you with the import issue, but I heard Fulltone was coming out with a solid state tape echo. Supposed to be more of an Echoplex-y thing, at half the price of their TTE. Maybe they'd be more willing to export that one...

-- Why I (Otter)

I found out about that after I posted this. That looked more alluring to me actually; as much as I love tubes I don't want to add a tube echo unit on top of my Little Kahuna and whatever tube amp I lug around. I'm waiting on a response re: whether there will be an 'international' version

that new compact version has not surfaced for a LONG time.. I'm not holding my breath.

that new compact version has not surfaced for a LONG time.. I'm not holding my breath.

-- WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

Good thinking not holding your breath Tavo, you could pass out.

Woah... you went from a real tape echo to the El Capistan that fast? For slapback? I love the El Capistan and do think it's the best digital tape echo simulator out there, BUT...if all you want it greasy slapback, there are ALOT of cheaper pedals out there that will do that trick, everything from a vintage Boss DM-2/DM-3, to the Maxon AD-999 (almost as much money as the El Capistan), to the new AquaPuss, to MXR Carbon Copy, heck even the tiny plastic BLT from Danelectro does a killer slapback.

If all I wanted was slap, I wouldn't spend $300 on an El Capistan, it's just not neccesary. But if you do- you'll enjoy the heck out of that pedal!

I've got a Carbon copy now. It's a good pedal, but there are things that bug me about it.

The samples on the Strymon website also got me excited. I'm not afraid to admit I'm that much of a sucker.

-- JoseValentino

I think that is completely stupid.. I mean I understand regarding europe's strict CE nonsense but Australia is a totally different story. It's crazy when I send a pedal to England or Germany, it stays in customs for well over a week and they have to pay tax. When I send a pedal or AMP to Oz its there in their hands in 5-7 days and no customs tax for anything thing under $1000. Similar situation with Switzerland... what polital-economic alliances do we as americans have with these nations? :)

ps. the only other thing I can think of is ROhS compliance? No one here likes soldering with lead free solder, its pain in the arse. Also Jose.. I have one word for you "Strymon El Capistan" + preamp"

-- WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

That probably also means that they only have 120V versions.

Another vote for the El Capistan. I love mine.

My AKAI Headrush Pro E2 has a tape echo function that's pretty good. I really love how versatile that thing is :)

The Skreddy Echo has great tape warmth, and simple controls. The Strymon has great tape warmth with a lot more versatility, tap tempo, and you can save a setting on the extra pedal. These are my two favorite delays.

If you were gonna buy a TTE, definitely buy one of those two delays.

Tempting.

Do you know if that has a 230V transformer in there?

That kind of rewiring is trivial. This is even more tempting.

Does anyone own one of these units and an El Capistan? Is it worth the extra expense and maintenance over an El Capistan?

JV, another to check out is the HiWatt tape echo unit. They stopped making them a few years ago but I hear they're reliable units. Somewhere between a plex and space echo in tone. Small, portable, and uses a tape delivery system similar to the space echo. You might find one local?

There is also this option - it has no tape, but does a creditable job in emulating an echoplex. It even has a "vintage" knob if you want to dial in the sound a beat up tape would make. I have one, but don't use it much just because I hate toting anything more than I have to. That said, it compares very favorably to my EP-3.

After reading many reviews and listening to many demos, I took the plunge into an El Capistan. I love that pedal! I went through line 6's, Maxon Delays, and a bunch of other pedals. The Capistan is able to give you that feel of a tape delay, yet it's compact enough for a pedal board. I would Deffinatley reccomend it!

Blackstar Delay. Tube goodness.

Register Sign in to join the conversation