Other Equipment

Cleaning Vinyl

I recently dug my records out of storage and discovered quite a few that I've never listened to - mainly because they are really filthy; A simple wipedown won't do. What do you all use to clean your vinyl? Storebought kits? Homebrew tonics? Old-Western Snake Oils?

I would say water with a little alcohol mixed in like the stuff you use to clean the new Televisions. Just a guess though. Can you still get Disc cleaner kits like in the old days?

I saw some videos on youtube where they use a white glue, like elmer's. They spread a thin layer, let it dry and then peel it off. Looks like it works pretty well.

Huh, I never thought of that. :|

This is the best thing you can use to clean and maintain your vinyl records. I've used this since the seventies and it lasts forever. I'm still using the same one I just buy a new bottle of fluid when I run out.

Click here for Discwasher

I use discwasher as well. Nothing beats that brush.

If they are really dirty you need to find someone with a record cleaning machine. They are quite expensive so you probably don't want to buy one yourself but they do a miraculous job at restoring records.

If they are really dirty you need to find someone with a record cleaning machine. They are quite expensive so you probably don't want to buy one yourself but they do a miraculous job at restoring records.

– TwangOmatic

– TwangOmatic

I have cleaned some pretty dirt encrusted records with the Discwasher with excellent results.

– TwangOmatic

I have cleaned some pretty dirt encrusted records with the Discwasher with excellent results.

– Bear

"I have cleaned some pretty dirt encrusted records with the Discwasher with excellent results. "

• Bear

I don't doubt it and many times that's all you need but sometimes it's not enough. If the records have a buildup of tobacco smoke or something like that combined with very fine particulate a record cleaning machine is the only answer. Sometimes you can put a record that looks perfectly clean through one of those machines and when your done it sounds significantly better. Even some of the little pops you thought were from scratches are gone.

Best deal is to get some Isopropyl alcohol, distilled water(if you can get medical water use it) Do an 80/20 mix of water to alcohol and a few drops of dish soap to help break the surface tension between the water and the record grooves. Put it in a squirt bottle put some on the record. To scrub the record, if you can find one of those tools they make to make painting corners easy its not a brush but it has lots of little bristles and they can get into the grooves. Scrub and rinse with some more distilled water. You can wipe them down with a micro fiber cloth and you can make your own vacuum with a dust attachment and some felt. I did and it works great and lot cheaper then buying the record cleaner. I have had great results

I've been using the Discwasher since I was a teenager. I'm probably only on my second or third one in 30+ years. The thing is, what is the solution? I've been tempted to re-fill the little bottle with water/alcohol 50/50 but haven't risked it yet. The stuff smells like alcohol though.

I worked in a mom'n'pop record store for five years and then, for a few more years, helped the owner sell online after he closed down the store. Gretsch6123 (post #12) uses pretty much the same formula as we did, but we didn't use any dish soap. All cotton washclothes make excellent record cleaners and cotton diapers also work well. Also, clean with the grooves and not against/across the grooves. Use a circular motion like when the record plays. (CDs should never be cleaned in this circular motion, but rather they should be clean center to edge.) Cleaning machines are nice, but way too expensive; if you own thousands of records and buy new ones regularly it might be worth the investment. Discwasher is a good product, but it is meant more for giving records a quick dusting than it is for deep cleaning. You don't want to gunk up your cleaning brush using it on a filthy record.

I agree about the cleaning machine being expensive, but the results really are quite fantastic. I recently splashed out on a Moth Cleaning machine. The thing is as noisy as hell but it's by far the best thing I've ever used. The wife takes great delight in telling everyone I like vacuuming my records...

There's a guy at work who has worked in second-hand record shops since God was in short trousers & he's considered the best record cleaner any of us know & he uses lighter fluid (ronsonol)

That will be naphtha then Tony.

I had to do a double take when I saw Bear's first post. At first I thought he was suggesting putting them in the dishwasher.

Many years ago a mate of mine put a bunch of his discs in his bath tub to soak. The records cleaned up nicely but all the labels peeled off.

Doh! :D

Register Sign in to join the conversation