Miscellaneous Rumbles

what’s to be done about my dull knobs?

so...I've had my axe for just about a decade now (may 21st will be 10 years) and over the years a lot of sweat has poured on the knobs, bigsby and pick-up covers and the tru-arc...

I'm actually pretty good with the maintenance, but something you play every day for ten years is gonna get dull, regardless of how well you take care of it.

is there a way to restore them to their previous luster?

I feel like I've tried things before, but never had any good results.

give me your harebrained schemes to help my axe!

I believe your guitar has chrome knobs and pup covers, and the Bigsby is polished aluminium? Head for the auto shop and you should find specialized products (don't know a thing about american brands), which may require removing the parts from the guitar before applying.
Or leave as is and play it ten more years.

Find something in the hardware store called "Bartenders Friend", very light abrasive. Or try toothpaste, damp rag and elbow grease.

Anything with a mild abrasive will work. Flitz or Simichrome or Swirl Remover should all work. First test on a part that doesn't show.

Simichrome and/or Flitz is gentler than Barkeeper's Friend - and you can use it on either chrome, nickel or bare aluminum. You can get Simichrome in any good hardware or automotive supply store. Blue Magic is another fairly gentle metal polish.

Just don't use any of this stuff on the gold plated parts!

My guess is there is not a lot of plating left on those parts. The solid metal parts are easily buffed.

Decide if honest play wear is more interesting than a guitar partially reconditioned.

Honest play wear is a good style, actually...

No guitarist should be without it!

Or if it really bugs you, just buy new knobs.

It's not the luster of your knobs buts the luster of licks you should polish.

It's not the luster of your knobs buts the luster of licks you should polish.

Hard to tell, but the damned things look brand new!

gonna do the pickup covers and truarc next time i change out the strings.

16 jokes and not a single "knob polishing" joke? I don't know if I'm proud of the GDP or dissappointed.

16 jokes and not a single "knob polishing" joke? I don't know if I'm proud of the GDP or dissappointed.

– WB

But the enherent value of the thread hasn't been measured yet by the thread quality measure'ers.

Doh. I meant "16 posts and not a single joke" of course.

Register Sign in to join the conversation