Other Equipment

Chorus

If I just needed an occasional chorus, didn't want to spend a lot of dough, and wasn't chasing some particular grail, I'd buy one of the cheap Chinese mini-pedals flooding the market.

Something like this would be worth a spin, and if you don't like it, you're only out lunch money. https://www.amazon.com/Toms...

Or, if you want to splurge: https://www.amazon.com/Donn...

Also affordable.....Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus. Great sounding pedal.

Sorry, I just hit the pedal on my JC..

Not cheap but my Visual Sound (not their current name) H2O does a great job for me and has a delay built in. I have their Route 66 as well.

Also affordable.....Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus. Great sounding pedal.

– Pt

Ditto

Make sure that you get the all metal Cool Cat Chorus. It is a winner.

TC Corona chorus. Its a great value.

What you need is an old electric mistress to nail Andy’s most iconic tone (or a newer Hartman analog flanger).

But at the price point you’re referencing you’re best bet is that Corona Chorus. The TonePrint can have it do an Andy Summers thing reasonably well and imitate the old Boss CEs decently also.

Andy Summers used a Flanger. I think Electro Harmonix. If that's too expensive maybe like Baxter said a low cost Chinese made effect. They must have Chinese Flangers.

I picked up a Boss flanger like Robert Smith from the Cure uses or used for about $30. It's old from the early 80s.

Boss set the standards for the Chorus effect and you can't go wrong with one of their units. Compared to the Dano Cool Cats the switch doesn't wear out as quick. And especially used the compact series is very affordable.

There's no shortage of cheap Chinese flangers out there, too. They're really flooding the market with cheap micro-pedals these days. I have no illusions they sound as good as their boutique counterparts, or even if they'll hold up to moderate wear. But even something like the TC Corona mentioned above costs 3 times more. Now don't get me wrong, the TC Corona is a better pedal. It'll have better quality control, it is better made, and it will hold up longer. But at $20 or $30 bucks a pop, these things are down into impulse purchase pricing.

$30 flanger: https://www.amazon.com/Donn...

As a matter of fact thanks to Tavo's suggestion when my Dano Dan-Echo broke he pointed me to a TC Electronics Alter Ego. I love it but I want a second echo for my pedal chain but this time I am looking for a $30 Chinese echo because my primary is the Alter Ego and the secondary doesn't have to be as good. I want two so I can try to get the Hank Marvin effect. The Alter Ego by itself sounds good for The Shads but to really get the effect you need two echoes and of course good playing which I ain't there but I have fun trying.

Well the good thing about the TC delays is that not only do they sound good but they mess with your tone very little at all. A lot of cheap effects ruin your basic tone. You should be able to pick up one of the mini TC delays or choruses for cheap, especially used. And Boss still make some of the best chorus sounds. How much would a used Boss Chorus be?

Register Sign in to join the conversation