Other guitar-y things

Cardboard boxes for guitars?

Where is the best store (physical location) to get cardboard boxes for guitars? I need to pick two up today because the shipper is coming tomorrow to move all our things to Germany.

UPS stores sell them and usually are in stock.

Interesting, I didn't know UPS sold them. Good to know, drmilktruck! I was going to suggest just checking a local music store, probably one of the larger chains if possible, to see if they'd give out a couple of their boxes. I'd imagine they just throw them away.

Interesting, I didn't know UPS sold them. Good to know, drmilktruck! I was going to suggest just checking a local music store, probably one of the larger chains if possible, to see if they'd give out a couple of their boxes. I'd imagine they just throw them away.

– Metman

I'm well known at my local UPS Store! Their boxes are big - 50x20x10, but are scored so you can cut them down. They will fit just about any guitar and case.

I agree with the guitar store idea.

Reverb sells their own.

The best and cheapest boxes though are from ULine. They come in three sizes, but you have to buy 5 at a time. Uline.com

Where is the best store (physical location) to get cardboard boxes for guitars? I need to pick two up today because the shipper is coming tomorrow to move all our things to Germany.

– BenBradshaw

The first rule of the Witness Protection Program is don’t say where you are moving to.

Yep, call your local guitar stores . . .big boxes as well as the Mom-n-Pops.

Well, cigar boxes apparently make kinda OK guitars, but most corrugated cardboard boxes don't have quite that much structural rigidity.

The first rule of the Witness Protection Program is don’t say where you are moving to.

– NJBob

Actually he's very smart because he really is moving to Argentina... oh wait....

The dumpster at guitar center

I notced ULine sells them, but ULine is so expensive.

I think a place like Guitar Center or Chicago Music Exchange would be dying to give them away.

[I'm reminded of a scene from Malcolm in the Middle about the box breakdown area of the supermarket.] [The punchline immediately after is the mother piles on agreeing with the manager.]

It's too bad we can't rent flight cases like a U-Haul.

Too bad you're not around here. I started saving my incoming boxes during a buying binge (long time ago) and even scavenged the ones from a Gretsch Roundup a couple years back, thinking I would need them when I started selling off guitars. But then I consigned a whole bunch of them locally and didn't need the boxes. So now I've got a bunch of boxes, and I'm cleaning house and I know I don't need them, but I'd hate to just trash them. So if anyone is in L.A. and needs guitar boxes, I can he'p ya out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation