Other Equipment

Capo newbie question

I bought a used Kyser Quick Change capo on Ebay. It throws my low E string (and sometimes the G) out of tune. Is that just a capo thing? Or are some brands better than others for that?

It also doesn't seem to apply pressure evenly.

I'm going to buy a new one. Questions: Is this a Kyser thing? A capo thing? Or just what can be expected when you buy a used capo for $5? In other words, if I buy a new Kyser will I have the same issues? Thanks.

No experience with that Kyser, but I find it best to keep a capo as close as I can stand, to the next-higher fret. Less chance for it to pull a string sharp.

FYI, my favorite capo is a cheap plastic D'Addario/Planet-Waves unit that came with a two (or three) pack of strings! Adjustable tension allows it to do its job without applying too much force.

Looks something like this:

So many variables. You'll get different results depending on capo pressure, and variations in your neck. I got a Thalia capo (expensive) for a birthday, and was very disappointed in the results. It was clamping too hard on all of my guitars. I complained and they sent me a low tension model that worked much better. Not perfect, depending on the guitar.

I like the Shubb capos as the tension is easily adjustable.

Aren't they specific to electric or acoustic? Maybe you've got an acoustic one. It might have a tighter hold.

Like geoguy, one of my favorite Capos is the D'Addario NS Pro...but mine is silver. Costs about $15.

I also like the G7th Capos....but they are about 4 or 5 times more expensive (and heavier) than the D'Addario.

Aren't they specific to electric or acoustic? Maybe you've got an acoustic one. It might have a tighter hold.

– Suprdave

I was wondering the same thing but then concluded--based on nothing--that it must just be a function of the neck size and string gauge, no?

Like geoguy, one of my favorite Capos is the D'Addario NS Pro...but mine is silver. Costs about $15.

I also like the G7th Capos....but they are about 4 or 5 times more expensive (and heavier) than the D'Addario.

– Toddfan

Looks fine. Slightly Star-Treky.

I'm a fan of the Shubb. Mine is several years old and not the current design. Does a much better job than my old Kyser of not pulling any strings sharp. They're $16 and change.

I use an old Dunlop on the rare occasions that I actually use a capo. I've seen more than one guitar neck with dents on the back from guys over tightening the screw tensioners---be aware! Anything is an improvement to the old rod and elastic strap versions.

i've been using the same brass Shubb capo since the mid-1980s. i love it to pieces...it's small, light, dependable, and apparently indestructible. i've never even had to replace the rubber sleeve!

i've been using the same brass Shubb capo since the mid-1980s. i love it to pieces...it's small, light, dependable, and apparently indestructible. i've never even had to replace the rubber sleeve!

– macphisto

Me too!

Never heard of Shubb capos being acoustic or electric specific. It makes no sense. A neck is a neck.....it's profile and width (maybe) are all that matters, not whether it's acoustic or electric. After all, a capo's bar is just a fixed version of your index finger when you barre a chord.

Beyond any fit issues, how the capo does it's job and/or whether it's bulk interferes with your fretting hand are the issues, no?

Register Sign in to join the conversation