Other guitar-y things

Blue Smoke Transcription

Does anyone know of a solid transcription (ideally with TABS) of Blue Smoke by good ole Merle Travis? I can kind of figure some of it out and there's a transcription on line that is not accurate I found. I'd love to play this tune, but need a little help.

Blue Smoke huh? Why don't you pick something more challenging? You must be one hell of a guitar picker.

Blue Smoke huh? Why don't you pick something more challenging? You must be one hell of a guitar picker.

– Enis Penvy

I'm alright. I used to study classical at the university here, so I do a bit of fingerpicking. I do a lot of Chet style stuff. I really dig that tune. There's something about minor key country tunes that just gets me.

It's a great song. I didn't even know the name of it until you made this post. The first time I ever heard it, Tom Bresh played it on Austin City Limits years ago. Good luck finding an accurate transcription to it. I might have a go at it myself.

I'd think it would be easier to transcribe than to play, especially at full tempo!

I'd think it would be easier to transcribe than to play, especially at full tempo!

– seadevil

My ear is not the best although I’m trying to get better. There’s a few things I’m struggling with on this tune. There are professional transcription services on line. I’m hoping someone here might know the tune. It’s a gretschy tune for sure!

Paul Pigat sold a transcription of Cousin Harley's Blue Smoke tribute album in the past. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it may be of help.

Paul Pigat sold a transcription of Cousin Harley's Blue Smoke tribute album in the past. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it may be of help.

– Brian J

awesome thanks! That band is incredible

I contacted Paul Pigat and got his transcription. Thanks for the tip.

Register Sign in to join the conversation