Other guitar-y things

Best standard size pedal for Fender Spring verb

btw.. surfy schmurfy, listen to this anasounds real spring

and a 4 unit mechanical spring round up

What do you think of the Surfy bear metal? Does it do the splatty drip well? There aren't slot of clips with it.

– Diggey

I like it a lot, and yes, drip for days.

I watched the 14 pedal video and just got tired of it after about 6. Maybe I don't care about reverb as much as I thought I did.

After taking my 6144 apart, I found a float spring that was busted (Vintage! Original! Busted!). I fixed it with a paper clip, sounds a lot better. Not drip surf but much better.

https://www.instagram.com/p...

I watched the 14 pedal video and just got tired of it after about 6. Maybe I don't care about reverb as much as I thought I did.

After taking my 6144 apart, I found a float spring that was busted (Vintage! Original! Busted!). I fixed it with a paper clip, sounds a lot better. Not drip surf but much better.

https://www.instagram.com/p...

– Devil's Tool

You can make pedals all day to try to get the response and feel of a mechanical spring reverb tank but at the end of the day..springs and tubes are what brings it. I've got vintage fender tanks, premier tanks, gibb pans etc as well as manufacturing my own reverb tanks. Pedals create their own sound and vibe. Most people in the audience arent going to know, but if it doesnt feel or sound right to you, you dont perform your best. Especially if you have to keep thinking about the stupid thing instead of playing and staying in the pocket.

Ps. Blues reverb guys and Surf reverb guys are apples n oranges. ..well, maybe more like peaches n pineapplesBlues guys are sweet n furry sounding but pineapples grow by the ocean, the salt water is in the DNA.

I have a JHS Spring Tank spring reverb. Very much sounds like a fender spring to me. Cool pedal w/ two levels of foot switchable reverb, so you can set one to less, and then add in more if you want. Effective controls...

If you are interested, I might be looking to move this one, actually. I think I want a super spacey reverb on my board, and will use the actual spring on the amp for when I want that.

I love the Flint - but if you're mantic for springspringspring, don't buy the Strymon till you hear the Source Audio True Spring.

It's reputed to spring even better than the Strymon, is regular pedal-sized, and also incorporates tremolos.

I'm very pleased with my SA pedals. Great company.

– Proteus

Tim, do you know if the Source Audio True Spring‘s got a real bypassed dry signal so the digital effect’s only on the wet signal (like the Mad Professor Silver Spring)?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know the answer to that, and don’t find it in a quick run through the extensive manual. I’m guessing either that Source considers it so obvious that they’d pass the dry signal through without digital conversion that it doesn’t occur to them to mention it - or that they consider that with their 24-bit audio conversion in a 56-bit data path, it doesn’t matter. (They also mention a 108 dB “DNR” audio path, which I assume refers to a virtually inaudible noise floor.)

There’s also a kill-dry setting which removes the dry signal from the outputs entirely. They suggest that as an option when using the pedal in an amp’s effect loop - but you could also use it in a parallel connection scheme to be SURE your dry signal isn’t digitized.

Another setup option puts the wet signal only on one of the outputs and isolates the dry signal to another output - which would only be meaningful to your question if the dry is undigitized. (Unless maybe the dry is digitized in normal operation, but in this split mode it’s passed through analog.) Also, you lose stereo output in this mode.

The pedal is switchable between true hardware bypass and buffered bypass - but of course that’s only relevant when the pedal is off. (And the buffer is analog anyway.)

Source Audio is very responsive to customers, with superb customer service; I bet an email to them would get you a quick answer.

I don’t know the answer to that, and don’t find it in a quick run through the extensive manual. I’m guessing either that Source considers it so obvious that they’d pass the dry signal through without digital conversion that it doesn’t occur to them to mention it - or that they consider that with their 24-bit audio conversion in a 56-bit data path, it doesn’t matter. (They also mention a 108 dB “DNR” audio path, which I assume refers to a virtually inaudible noise floor.)

There’s also a kill-dry setting which removes the dry signal from the outputs entirely. They suggest that as an option when using the pedal in an amp’s effect loop - but you could also use it in a parallel connection scheme to be SURE your dry signal isn’t digitized.

Another setup option puts the wet signal only on one of the outputs and isolates the dry signal to another output - which would only be meaningful to your question if the dry is undigitized. (Unless maybe the dry is digitized in normal operation, but in this split mode it’s passed through analog.) Also, you lose stereo output in this mode.

The pedal is switchable between true hardware bypass and buffered bypass - but of course that’s only relevant when the pedal is off. (And the buffer is analog anyway.)

Source Audio is very responsive to customers, with superb customer service; I bet an email to them would get you a quick answer.

– Proteus

Thanks Tim. I‘m trying the (expensive) Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale this weekend. It‘s got a wonderful Tremolo, better than the bias tremolo on my vintage Princeton (!), not sure about the reverb since those springs are, surprise-surprise, pretty short. But it‘s a completely analog pedal. The Source Audio is my digital alternative, I‘ll email them!

And here‘s their answer:

„Hi Stefan,

No, the dry goes through digital conversion, it was necessary in order to have the tremolo option in the pedal, you can’t have digital tremolo without sending the dry signal completely through.

Dave“

Not on the Strymon Flint. The dry signal isn‘t touched in the Reverb section, same for the Mad Professor Silver Spring (just Reverb). Out of my list.

This one was always my favorite

Without hearing it?

– Proteus

I know it sounds good, no question. But I don‘t like to get my tone (fully) digitized, it‘s a personal thing. To me it makes no sense playin‘ wonderful sounding guitars into a vintage amp with NOS tubes thru a digital stompbox. My compromise is dry/analog & wet/digital, like the Strymon or the Mad Professor.

This is the correct pedal for a Fender Spring Reverb:

Anyone know the T-Rex Room Mate Junior? I was looking for something basic but high quality for my new Tweed Bandmaster and bought one of these. It doesn't do the ambient thing and other fancy tricks but has rather realistic spring, room, hall (and LFO) mode instead. I was surprised HOW basic it actually is but I like it a lot. I don't hear any digital coldness, just nice reverb. Anyone else?

FWIW, you might consider the new Surfy Bear compact reverb. It uses an 8" spring pan rather than the standard 17" spring pan, but they added a "decay" control so you can get plenty of surfy splash. I tried it at NAMM (I was helping out at the Surfy Industries booth) and was so impressed I bought one, even though I've got a real '63 Fender 6G15 and a full size Surfy Bear.

Register Sign in to join the conversation