Other Equipment

Best standard size pedal for Fender Spring verb

So I think I’m gonna keep the ‘59 Bassman LTD. It really seems to have that sound I’ve been looking for and the speakers aren’t even broken in yet. I like a little reverb and I’ve grown quite accustomed to the Fender type spring reverb found in my DRRI and Victoria. At higher volumes the Bassman seems to create its own effect which is almost like reverb, which is cool, but I want some old fashioned spring verb.

I have been able to dial in a very satisfying ‘63 Spring Reverb on my Helix unit and that sounds very nice through the Bassman. I’m looking for a stomp box pedal to put on my regular board, so that I can have reverb while using that rig with the Bassman. I’m hoping to find one that is about the size of a standard Boss pedal.

Boss used to make a ‘63 Fender Reverb pedal and there are some available used. Anyone use/like these? Boss has a newer reverb pedal with more flavors and MXR has one that looks okay too. I’ve had good luck with their Carbon Copy delay. I know that there are some larger pedals out there that I’m sure are good, and some even have a spring in them, but I’m about out of real estate since an LR Baggs acoustic Venue DI resides there as well.

Any suggestions or experience is sought.

Thanks

It's a bit larger than the old "Boss" enclosure, but the Strymon FLINT is awesome, and it does three reverb types and three tremolo types (all the classic Fender flavours), and it can do them at the same time. Very adjustable. You will not be sorry. I love mine, and am a loyal Fender amp guy. Check the Flint out!

I guess reverb advice from a guy named “reverb” is probably pretty good. I have a Boss trem unit on the board. I can take that off if I go with the flint.

The Flint is great, but if you want just a bit of Fender spring, you might consider the Catalinbread Topanga. Save a hundred bucks and fit on your board. Also, the Strymon is a bit finicky about power. I’m sure I was doing something wrong but my Flint would not work properly when sharing my Voodoo Lab plus with 5 other pedals. It works well when using it’s own power wall wart.

I have one of the '63 Reverb pedals on my board right now. It can be a little harsh and feel a bit digitized at certain settings, but that's really only when I've recently played my Surfybear reverb unit. For a lot of shows, it feels like a hassle to bring a separate reverb unit, and the Boss pedal can do most (90%) of what the Surfybear can.

True, it's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it does the classic "drip" really well in a live setting. I don't know if it's worth the prices it's going for on Reverb right now, but if you can pick one up for $100 or less, it's a great pedal.

I'm still a Holy Grail Nano advocate. The mini size China-verb ones tho don't cut it.

I love the Flint - but if you're mantic for springspringspring, don't buy the Strymon till you hear the Source Audio True Spring.

It's reputed to spring even better than the Strymon, is regular pedal-sized, and also incorporates tremolos.

I'm very pleased with my SA pedals. Great company.

Source Audio True Spring Reverb. If you want compact, digital spring reverb emulation (and the 3 types of classic Fender trem as a bonus), this is the one you want. Smaller than the Strymon, (much) better spring emulation, and slightly less power consumption too. Sold the Topanga in a hurry too, once I got the Source Audio one.

Walter, I'm surprised to hear that you are a Flint-hater! I have not heard of Source Audio--I guess I'll have to check it out. I really like the Flint after trying a couple of others and being underwhelmed (the TC Hall of Fame and the Boss RV), but I'm always in to being educated.

I wonder why they never made a spring reverb designed to sit in the back of an amp.

Walter, I'm surprised to hear that you are a Flint-hater! I have not heard of Source Audio--I guess I'll have to check it out. I really like the Flint after trying a couple of others and being underwhelmed (the TC Hall of Fame and the Boss RV), but I'm always in to being educated.

– reverb11

"hater" is strong, I just don't like it much. I only use the digital pedal when travel/luggage restrictions make me, saw some clips of the Source Audio pedal online, took the gamble, and I'm glad I did. It's small and has two high quality effects I need, so that's great for my little travel board.

I wonder why they never made a spring reverb designed to sit in the back of an amp.

– hammerhands

You could do that with the Surfy Bear trem, and if it's spring reverb you want, it's still a lot better than any digital pedal, because it IS a spring reverb, and it doesn't emulate one.

The Surfy bear 'verb, or a tube Fender tank (or my Super Reverb's onboard 'verb) is what I usually use, like I said above, the digital stuff is for emergencies and plane travel gigs.

IMO, the best pedal I have heard is the EHX Oceans 11. It does a real convincing tube driven in-amp spring reverb and unlike most 'verb pedals does a killer real sounding drippy surfy Fender vintage outboard tank 'verb. In fact, all the reverb choices sound excellent and it's only $147.00 out the door. Not a large footprint either (a bit smaller than a Boss pedal).

I haven't tried all the others, so take my opinion with that grain of salt, but I am quite enjoying the EHX Oceans 11. The spring verb does indeed get that Fender spring verb drip. Small footprint, affordable and also had other great-sounding verbs (I find I'm using the plate reverb a lot – very luscious). I'd be curious to hear how it compares to these other, perhaps more "boutique-y"(?) pedals.

May the 'Verb be with you.

Fender Marine Layer Reverb. Done! I cannot tell you how you can sculpt a reverb sound like this one. Allows you to dail in "your" sound. Give it a shot. It'll Fender your Fender. -Cheers

I’ll be trying the Strymon Flint first.

Find the late-March Anderton's YouTube of Fender pedals. Listen to the Tre-Verb. Sounds a worthy candidate.

Flint seems pretty convincing to me. I was looking for a sound like the on board verb in my Deluxe Reverb. Seems to have it. I’ve played with the trem a bit too and it sounds nice. Probably gonna be a keeper, but the test period isn’t over yet.

Source Audio True Spring Reverb. If you want compact, digital spring reverb emulation (and the 3 types of classic Fender trem as a bonus), this is the one you want. Smaller than the Strymon, (much) better spring emulation, and slightly less power consumption too. Sold the Topanga in a hurry too, once I got the Source Audio one.

– WB

@WB Walter, how would you compare the True Spring vs Surfybear? I had a true spring, sold it and got a surfybear metal. NOW I wish I could compare the two to decide which one I like more. They both have their merits.

I like the Surfy bear a lot more. I have the True Spring for when transport restrictions don't allow me take spring reverb, and as far as digital spring reverb emulations go, it's great. But it's still only an emulation.

Register Sign in to join the conversation