Other Equipment

Atomic Brain - 9v vs 12v

Hi Nocturne users. I’m currently building a pedal board and have maxed out my power supply. Without adding another, I can:

1) run my Atomic Brain at 12v 2) pull a pedal and run the Atomic Brain at 9v

Tavo’s Website says: “ All our preamps operate at 9v and 12v. I prefer to run mine at 9v for more texture and saturation at max gain.” but I’m not entirely sure what this description means.

Any thoughts?

Rather than try and describe it I'd just suggest trying it both ways and see which you like better.

Conceptually I know what it does but I can't explain it in electrical terms. Running at 12v definitely changes the characteristic of my Topanga, it's like two different pedals vs running at 9v. The trick is deciding which sound/tone you like better at which voltage.

Put a little more clearly, more is not always better.

Let your ears decide.

Rather than try and describe it I'd just suggest trying it both ways and see which you like better.

Conceptually I know what it does but I can't explain it in electrical terms. Running at 12v definitely changes the characteristic of my Topanga, it's like two different pedals vs running at 9v. The trick is deciding which sound/tone you like better at which voltage.

– Devil's Tool

yep 12v makes the preamp run cleaner since this is a full sonic spectrum preamp.. but it changes the characteristic response and texture I designed it to sound and feel like. This is what 12v does to the brain preamp

Register Sign in to join the conversation