Other Equipment

Anyone use a Vox with a gretsch?

Anyone here use a Vox with their gretsch? I'm looking at the AC15c2, with the two 12" greenbacks, and I play a dyna jet. I currently have a fender blues jr and it's not getting along with the jet very well, it's the tweed version with the Jensen c12n speaker

I sometimes play 6120 through an ac50 2x12"

I play my Phoenix (and a Silver Jet I had for a while) through either a Vox AC15HW (1x12 blue) or a Valvetech Hayseed 30 (AC30 clone with 2x12s- one blue, one G12H), and when I rent I try to get an AC30 w/blues. It sounds great. Granted, neither of my Gretsches have had dynas, but to my ear/for my style, almost everything sounds great through a Vox. It'll definitely sound different than a Fender blues jr. Personally I prefer blues over greenbacks- greenbacks seem to flab-out a little on the low end at volume.

I've never owned a Vox but every time I've played a Filter or D'Armond Gretsch hollow/semi-hollow through one it's sounded very nice and the tone/sound is very 'Gretschy', never too heavy on the bottom end as some Fenders can sometimes have a tendency to deliver.

I'll be the dissenter here.

I've only put my 6120 and 6128 through an AC10 C1. Frankly, didn't like it. Way too hard to dial out the jangle for me.

Deluxe reverb or Princeton every time.

Edit to say: I sold the vox for that reason.

I like my 3140 with DeArmond 2000s thru my AC15CC1---I like the jangle. I can't get a bad sound out of the combination. YMMV. Variety is the spice of life.

I use both a late model Vox AC30VR and a '68 Pacemaker. Hi-Lo'Trons, Filter'Trons and Super'Trons all seem to work well with both amps.

My G5128 Electromatic with Dearmonds sounds great through my AC30TV.

This guy had a bit of luck with that combo

– Billy D Light

His first, second, and fourth albums pretty much epitomize the three flavors of Gretsch-Vox pure tone. DeArmonds into a Vox - I Saw Her Standing There, Boys. FilterTrons into a Vox - Roll Over Beethoven, Don't Bother Me. HiloTrons into a Vox - just about every song on Beatles For Sale.

the ac30 is cranked a bit with a hotplate. not the best representation, but... the dynas worked nicely. when not squealing like a stuck a pig.

Anyone here use a Vox with their gretsch? I'm looking at the AC15c2, with the two 12" greenbacks, and I play a dyna jet. I currently have a fender blues jr and it's not getting along with the jet very well, it's the tweed version with the Jensen c12n speaker

– Chmason85

Yup, I do. Vox AC15C1 and a Gretsch 5120.

My G5128 Electromatic with Dearmonds sounds great through my AC30TV.

– Steeple923

AC30TV: very nice! I like that Peavey too

Neil Finn, Crowded House He gets a great classic sound out of his G6131T Jet Firebird (I think) into old VoxAC30s.

I don't have a Gretsch (yet) but use a La Cabronita Tele into my AC30 which gets me close.

Been enjoying my 6120 conversion with F'trons through my vintage AC10 of late. Really good combination IMHO.

I used to see a band called The Waltons here in Perth Western Australia which had a very good guitarist called Glen White, a Kiwi. He played a '65 6120 through an AC30 and it sounded great.

I used to play a 6120 through a Badcat, which is very Vox-like in circuit. The basic tone of the AC30 really works with a Gretsch. A 6120 with a Badcat Cub IIR is a great combo.

Thanks for all the comments! I think I might pull the trigger today or tomorrow on the AC15c2, I love 15 watt tube amps and the 2x12 configuration is very appealing

Register Sign in to join the conversation