Other Equipment

Anyone seen this gadget for yer Bigsby?

Yeah, that's basically a solution for something that really isn't a problem.

Once you get the hang of changing strings on a Bigsby it's not THAT hard. I can change the strings in about 5 minutes, and that's taking my time.....

Seems like the reduced pressure would cause some problems, and it's one more part to cause rattles.

It's a cool idea, and I would've definitely bought one back when i had a Gretsch with a B7. 8-o But now, yeah, capo, man. I guess if you were gigging it would be handy, but i'm not. And i'm sure there are a ton of people who would comment on the tonal ramifications of such a device. ;-)

Really, truly - I don't understand the difficulty here. Maybe it's just because I have used them forever, but I never needed an eraser or holes or anything. It's a little tricky, but hardly a problem that requires some mechanical solution.

Gadget is the perfect word for it. It's almost "As Seen On TV" gimmicky.

Here's what I don't get-

Why is it so hard for people to change strings on a Bigsby?!! I can do it in no time, without wedging shit under the bar. Besides, that little gadget is gonna fall off(and onto the finish) as soon as you take the strings off to change em anyway. I agree with sroux, it's fixing a non-existent problem. Silly.

Yeah, that's basically a solution for something that really isn't a problem.

Yup.

I agree... bend the strings by the anchor. Wrap around the peg head as suggested by Bigsby? Gretsch? and you're good to go.

Part of the coolness factor of being a Bigsby man is being able to easily string them while your average "Strat Guy" struggles with them. I dunno, I kind of feel that if you can't string a Bigsby than you don't deserve one. So to me, those String Spoilers are kind of goofy. To each their own though!

Really, truly - I don't understand the difficulty here. Maybe it's just because I have used them forever, but I never needed an eraser or holes or anything. It's a little tricky, but hardly a problem that requires some mechanical solution.

– spike

– Spike

I feel the same way Spike. I guess it's just because it's a little tricky at first and some people don't get it down, or are told to do it with erasers or capos when all you need is a little bend and you're set.

I have invested way too much in my ball-end-bending skills to get one of those gadgets or even drilling the thing. :)

Just curious.....

How many of you guys have never strung a bigsby that has a tension bar? They are not as easy as stringing a standard bigsby.

That being said, I still would never buy one of those things as they look absolutely goofy.

Besides, stringing up my Corvette is part of the fun of owning a Gretsch. :P

I've been tempted to get a couple for the B5 guitars,but I've gotten along without a String Spoiler-type device for a really long time,so it's not a priority.Cool idea,though.

I do have to say that those little posts (studs?) are pretty annoying and it'd make a whole lot more sense for Bigsby to offer a drilled-and-countersunk mounting option.

When I was a Guitar Tech at a Music Store I was always surprised how many people would bring me their guitars just to change strings (especially Bigsby models) Of course I would clean it up and make any adjustments. They were always happy to pay me. :)

I don't mind changing strings on a Bigsby. It was the Floyd Rose guitars that got me. They drove me crazy! I sold all but 1 of them that I owned...and haven't touched it in a few years.

@ The Norm: Drill baby drill! :D

We don't need no Stinking Gadgets8-)

If you can't string a bigsby, you shouldn't be playing them. Gosh, that like being a cop and not knowing how to shoot.

juke.... in most cases, esp since we switched to automatics, even the police panic too much to hit what they shoot @ anyways. Should hear how many rounds cops waterfall @ suspects when they actually warrant firing. (were talking about reloading a Glock17 thats how many) They dont have to have any resolve (firmness) upper lip to make the 6 shots count when your glock 17 has 19+1 in the chamber. Not to mention all the stoopid action films... "did you count how many shots i fired?" "WTF did you just say to me? BANG"

Sometimes Even flukes occure. I knew a guy who was showing up to find a "tween" ager to serve him w/ a warrant @ a warehouse... Fired once in the air to scare him out, 1 piece of scatter shot ricocheted and killed the kid...

Granted I think we know how I feel about the Product from the OP from what I've said about them on GT and I cant see a need for a product like this. Sorry for the temporarily De-rail. I agree, people should just know what they are doing w/ their own equipment.

Just curious.....

How many of you guys have never strung a bigsby that has a tension bar? They are not as easy as stringing a standard bigsby.

That being said, I still would never buy one of those things as they look absolutely goofy.

– Hermitt

Just curious.....

– Hermitt

Yes, not as easy as a B6, but not so difficult to make ya wanna throw tools either.

Its handy to have a pair of needle nosed pliers around but not great shakes to restring. Its a solution in search of a problem.

It would be nice to have them drilled but if I tried it, I'd screw up the bar and drill through my hand. Not that I'm a klutz you know but ...

– Spike

I feel the same way Spike. I guess it's just because it's a little tricky at first and some people don't get it down, or are told to do it with erasers or capos when all you need is a little bend and you're set.

– MacSteven XIII

– Spike

– MacStevenXIII

I'm with you guys. There is really nothing to it. Bend the string at the loop, put it on the post and string it up. $40.00 will buy me ten sets of strings.

Register Sign in to join the conversation