Other Equipment

Any Love for the RAT?

Just finished this tonight, really digging it

It has two common RAT mods: the "ruetz mod" which is a Timmy-like bass control, and switchable clipping diodes (Si diodes, LEDs, or none).

I really like the LED clippers, with the bass turned up a little bit. It's sort of Tweed Deluxe-ish, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about a RAT.

Last year I gave my son my vintage ProCo Rat, which shocked him. All I said was "don't sell it".

I used the Rat for almost 30 years on conbination with a Mesa-Boogie V-Twin, to get any tone I wanted out of my Roland JC-120.

That’s tidy work! I’d love to hear it. I have a bare foot honey bee - jimmyr said it was based on a rat. It’s low gain but wish it was even lower as I always have it on min. How low does this go :~) ?

I never thought about getting a rat until I read about Tavo's Ubangi...now I'm wondering what I've been missing all these years.

I love a RAT! I'll never get ride of my small box and the R2DU is part of my setup.

I've never played a modded RAT circuit. Nice job Otter!

Whoa! Tell me more about that R2DU

It's two RATs in a rack box

I have a stereo setup and utilize this with it, plus a small box RAT in front

Last year I gave my son my vintage ProCo Rat, which shocked him. All I said was "don't sell it".

I used the Rat for almost 30 years on conbination with a Mesa-Boogie V-Twin, to get any tone I wanted out of my Roland JC-120.

– crowbone

Mesa Boogie V-Twin: now you're talking about a Holy Grail pedal.

Yepper, big time. the Ubangi Stomp based on the early version of the rat, added variable gain control to the upper mids as well as asymmetric/symmetric switching. Non trad focus though on cleaner more transparent guitar w texture than the Hair Band sound we associate w a classic Rat pedal.

Mesa Boogie V-Twin: now you're talking about a Holy Grail pedal.

– Gretschadelphia

Actually the combo of those two pedals gave me tones I've only dreamed of previously.

Still have the V-Twin.

Can't work up the nerve to get rid of it.

Actually the combo of those two pedals gave me tones I've only dreamed of previously.

Still have the V-Twin.

Can't work up the nerve to get rid of it.

– crowbone

keep that Vtwin!!

The Turbo Rat was my first pedal that I bought. I still have it but can’t say I’ve used it much the last 25 years.

I also had a V Twin but traded it years ago. Can’t say I actively miss it but then he sound I’m after has changed drastically so maybe I should chase one down again.

Yepper, big time. the Ubangi Stomp based on the early version of the rat, added variable gain control to the upper mids as well as asymmetric/symmetric switching. Non trad focus though on cleaner more transparent guitar w texture than the Hair Band sound we associate w a classic Rat pedal.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Out of curiosity, just how do you "tweak" circuits to achieve certain sounds? Is it mathematical equations on the electrical components ratings that get the sound your looking for or do you just swap out certain parts til you get the sound you want.

I like the idea of a Rat with a Timmy-style low control. Is that a BYOC PCB?

Most OD pedals are based on just a few old circuits - either Rats, TSs, Bluesbreakers or whatever. Not many original circuits around. A fair few of the BJF pedals are based on the Rat but they have some clever changes which make them sound little like a Rat.

I might look into this "Ruetz mod". Sounds like a great idea. I think all ODs should have at least bass and treble controls. Too many otherwise decent sounding ODs have either too much or too little low end. It's good to be able to tweak a sound to your own amp and guitar.

Out of curiosity, just how do you "tweak" circuits to achieve certain sounds? Is it mathematical equations on the electrical components ratings that get the sound your looking for or do you just swap out certain parts til you get the sound you want.

– LA_Manny

In the case of a rat, I hated the fizz and thinness but I liked that when I cranked up the vol and kept the gain at a min I could clearly feel and hear my general guitar tone. So I started studying up on resistor values in audio circuits, capacitance, voltage, etc. Take that and an obsession with tinkering for 12 hr binges at a time and eventually you come up with somethings. Sometimes its good, most of the time its bad or sounds like everyone elses crappy DIY builds (gotta start somewhere I know). If you keep fighting through your limitations and learn, eventually you get something you like. I had 5 prototypes of the first re-301 preamp/ brain preamp, after 9 months of circuit mayhem and was in like $3000 before I had the best version I wanted to gig with. I come out of every build w a little bit more understanding of what I'm doing plus I've learned that I need help. I couldnt have built the Mystery Brain alone. A guy w an engineering degree in electronics works with me now.

..get that degree in audio engineering.

I have a prototype Keeley modded Rat

they did it, stickered it, but don't remember what they did

sounds amazing

only thing is the only song I need it for is TALK DIRTY TO ME

but it sounds good on that song

Register Sign in to join the conversation