Other Equipment

Any Accordion Players In The House?

I've never been able to find the 3rd chord to Lady of Spain.

There's good reason for that!

I'm Polish. It's the law---we have to play accordion. They're our version of bagpipes, but, at least you can dance to our tunes. They even sound better thru a Leslie. The Italian accordion industry led to combo organs (for good or bad.). Actually, with my back, I wouldn't get near one. I wouldn't mind a concertina, tho. For now, my Estey portable pump organ gets some of the same sounds. This beastie is only 60 some miles from me---I may have to take a drive. It'd cost me as much in gas.

Perfect pitch is when you throw an accordion into a dumpster and it lands on a banjo.

In Hell, they alternate handing out accordions with banjos and saxes.

An optimist is an accordion player with a pager.

I always loved accordions. I stumbled upon the bizarre Oakland accordion store Smythes (http://www.smythesaccordion...) and bought an Italian 1950s accordion that he recently refurbed. It was so much fun. It's about as loud as a cranked deluxe.

I played "here comes the bride" on it while my wife walked down the isle. It's practically the only song I can play but I've since done two other weddings.

They're a fun instrument to learn if you've hit a plateau on guitar.

and I'll mention, that if you get an electric one, you finally have something period correct to plug into the "accordion" input on your ampeg!

I'm Polish. It's the law---we have to play accordion. They're our version of bagpipes, but, at least you can dance to our tunes. They even sound better thru a Leslie. The Italian accordion industry led to combo organs (for good or bad.). Actually, with my back, I wouldn't get near one. I wouldn't mind a concertina, tho. For now, my Estey portable pump organ gets some of the same sounds. This beastie is only 60 some miles from me---I may have to take a drive. It'd cost me as much in gas.

Perfect pitch is when you throw an accordion into a dumpster and it lands on a banjo.

In Hell, they alternate handing out accordions with banjos and saxes.

An optimist is an accordion player with a pager.

– wabash slim

If the saxes are played by Kenny G wannabes, they would truly be hellish. But I have no doubt that Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Sidney Bechet, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, King Curtis, Albert Ayler, Joe Farrell, Harold Land, Eddie Harris, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Johnny Almond, and many others are firmly ensconced in the Big Band Upstairs.

Eh, I dunno. Accordians got bad press in my youth...it was either Myron Florin on the Larry Welk Show (helluva player, technically, but the presentation was whitebread milquetoast vanilla to a toxic degree) or kids I knew being forced into lessons. After the British invasion poor accordians didn't have a chance among us youts.

Of course, polka polka polka, I know, and I subscribed to the toss-a-cordian-on-a-banjo joke as well. And how about the one about the accordian in the back of the Rambler station wagon at the rest stop in Minnesota?

But older and wiser now...after being smitten by zydeco in the 80s and hearing Clifton Chenier, my opinion shifted. I now live in a town with strong German heritage historically and a lot of Hispanic influence recently, and we get some smokin' bands with ripfire accordians at the annual summer streetfest.

I like'm now.

Also, polkas can be smokin' hot.

And what's not to like about a nice French concertina (is that the instrument) in a 'tween-war torch ballad?

I don't suppose I'd really like to play one, but the one in the ad is pretty enough, and Gretsch to boot. Makes me wish I did want to.

Dave Schonenberg, are you from the East Bay?

When I was in school, I supported myself as a street musician ("busker") in San Diego's Balboa Park. An older fellow who played accordion used to come down and join me. This went on for several years and we were very good friends up until his death last year at about the age of 85. From that experience, I have always enjoyed accordion. And, I agree, Proteus, that the zydeco influence broadened my squeezebox horizons even further.

As I age, I have found that many things that I thought weren't cool were indeed pretty cool.

As I age, I have found that many things that I thought weren't cool were indeed pretty cool.

Or we're just getting progressively warmer, and the differential increases. Maybe it's all just relative.

Astor Piazzola.

I want to know what it's like to play the bandoneon and if it makes you crazy.

It has lots of buttons arranged in an order that makes sense if you started with one idea and changed your mind five or six times before you were finished. And then when you blow instead of suck the notes change under your fingers.

I think it does this to your head.

I love it that there are madmen everywhere. That's one of the best progfolkcordian bands I've ever heard.

That's one of the best progfolkcordian bands I've ever heard. -- Proteus

Which, of course, is a highly competitive field.

A very poor piano-accordion player sheepishly raising his hand here... Haven't played much in the last 10 years, as my Italian squeezebox is full-size (like the one pictured) and is dire need of some servicing... You think guitar repair can be expensive??? Try accordion repair-- and THEN try finding a competent repairman outside of either the upper midwest or south Texas. It's not a very common profession.

Still, thanks for the link-- I'm actually gonna watch this one-- a full size 120 button with 3 keyboard and 2 bass reed voicings, similar to the one that I own-- perfect for playing "Bubbles in the Wine"!

Looks like it's gonna need some bellows repair and keyboard leveling adjustment before it's even playable though. That's a pretty poor tape job on the bellows. Repair cost will probably be 2-3 times what the actual sales price will be... or more.

Tavo's wife plays an accordion. Maybe she will weigh in here on this thread.

Which, of course, is a highly competitive field.

You have no idea.

Last week's Monday night jam had an accordion player do Punk Rock Girl by the Dead Milkmen to much joy in the room.

That and Zydeco, gets a pass more than dudes with manbuns and ukuleles

A couple of my favorite bands, the Hot Club of L.A. and the mostly-defunct Whiskey Chimp, feature accordions. Would love to be able to play one, just not quite enough to make the effort to learn it.

Accordion can be a tasteful addition to an ensemble:

Check out Molly B's Polka Party on RFD-TV! Lots of accordions and polkas. There's a German Fest going on at a church here in town this Saturday. Oom-Pah!

When I went for a job interview at a music store (over 25 years ago - I still have nightmares about working there. No, really) the owner of the store asked me if there were any instruments I didn't like. I said piano accordion. He said I just hadn't heard one played well, and he was right.

The first time I saw Warren Ellis play he was playing violin on some songs and piano accordion on others. Spellbinding.

But I still hated being the one who got to sell the piano accordions at the shop. Some of them are REALLY expensive - Paolo Sopranis are up in Gibson CS territory. And the people who bought them were very pernickety.

I love Weird Al Yanovic's Bohemian Polka. One of the craziest songs I have ever heard.

I'm pretty sure this is not an organ.

Harmonium, according to wikipedia.

hmmm.

Harmonium about 2:25 into this video. I don't think they could do the volume swells on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation