Other Equipment

Another Nocturne Brain Convert, Mystery Brain/Hot Rod

First post on these lovely hallowed grounds to sing the praises of my latest acquisition,

I've been aware of the Nocturne pedals for some time now, but dismissed them as a Brian Setzer tone-chasing thing. I was determined to pave my own sonic path, so I wrote it off until I had a chance to try one in person. Well, color me impressed!

I had been struggling with the tone of my Hot Rod 6120 for a while. Compared to my other main guitars (Tele, 54 Les Paul, 55 Falcon), the bridge pickup was a bit pokey and lacked body/oomph, while the neck pickup had a tendency to get woofy in the bass. Balancing the EQ for one pickup rendered the other unusable (like a PAF Les Paul). The Atomic Brain solves all issues and gives me the sound I've been struggling to wring out of my Filtertron equipped axe. The highs sparkle, you can roll off that woofy bass, and it brings a pleasing emphasis to the mids that adds just enough body while retaining that classic clarity and jangly chime. All while giving it the expressiveness and dynamics of a single coil guitar (ie less compression).

Add in a tape echo simulator and you've got buckets of fun.

Hats off to you, Mr. Tavo.

excited to hear it! And thanks for the gas on the au natural hotrod. Yes I did begin almost a decade ago this xmas, w a pedal that was to chase the tonal response and attack ol' Setz was getting from that RE-301 but I never played in a straycats cover band myself :)

excited to hear it! And thanks for the gas on the au natural hotrod. Yes I did begin almost a decade ago this xmas, w a pedal that was to chase the tonal response and attack ol' Setz was getting from that RE-301 but I never played in a straycats cover band myself :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

She's a beaut! Though I'm always gassin for the next cool ride...I'm a Falconer at heart, but that new 135th Annie color scheme is mighty striking! I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't like to tame some of the brightness of the Hot Rod with a more traditional wiring scheme or a 250k volume pot.

Register Sign in to join the conversation