Other Equipment

Advice, Comments, Recommendations for DAW: ProTools, Ableton Live, …

OK. Understood...

In that case, the Apogee Element is the better choice as the Clarett doesn’t provide word-clock I/O and the converters on the Apogee have more dynamic range (making it a better AD/DA box featuring the same word clock I/O as the high dollar Apogee units - that feature alone is worth it). Since they're about the same price, and given you've had a Duet, it should also be more familiar to you and as you said, more I/O options like DAT (8 x 8), SMUX (4 x 4), and S/PDIF (2 x 2), too. Plus, I believe this box also has an iOS app for remote features. That's good to have, too!

So, it seems you have a winner!! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks again for your advice, i dont think i need word clock i/o but apogee has worked well with logic. Will go shopping when i get back from China

Sure...

But, we all need word clock when using AD/DA, right? The Apogee word clock will compensate for a lost signal by staying locked on the last available frequency sent by any missing device in the chain. When the signal is restored, instead of immediately locking onto the new signal, it will gradually and smoothly re-synchronize to prevent interruption. Apogee does this better than most. Hey, at least it's built-in, right?

Is this only if using multiple devices for recording?

No... Perhaps you're thinking sync clock (like MTC or SMPTE)?

Let's put it his way: Every digital device, from a CD player to a Pro Tools HD rig, has a word clock. A word clock is what tells a A/D or D/A converter when to take the sample. It fires an impulse to the converter 44.1k (or 48k, or 96k, etc) times per second (one of the reasons strings sound so natural and open @ 128k). The reliability of this clock and how evenly spaced those pulses are, determines the accuracy of the conversion process.

Further, you must have heard of jitter, right? Well, the more jitter present in the clock source, the less accurate the resulting conversion will be. Jitter is manifested in audio as phase distortions and discrepancies, particularly in the higher frequencies.Accordingly, they can lose some of their sparkle, transients can lose some of their attack, and stereo images aren't as wide.

This is "why" lower end boxes sound less punchy, smeared and lack clarity. Now, record 12-24 tracks or even more with a lower end box and you can quickly see how the more you stack, the worse it sounds and the harder it is to mix. As I said earlier - garbage in. Garbage out. You'd be surprised how much better and professional a mix can sound if one had the right path to start with. Without it, you're fighting an uphill battle.

Think of it this way: Try recording multiple tracks using a cheap $99.00 guitar vs. a Pro Line or spreading the tracks out across a Strat, Tele, LP and a Gretsch. Which tracks will sound better BEFORE you mix?

FYI: One of the hallmarks of Apogee and other high-quality converters is a low-jitter clock. If you have a great converter in your system, you can feed that clock source to everything else with an A/D or D/A converter on it (like your audio interface). That's why the Apogee Element you're considering is a deal as it has the same low jitter clock as their flagship $$ line.

Make sense?

Perfect sense. Thank you. I have read articles re jitter on drum machines like the cr78. understood this in relation to timing but not audio quality . But yes now I understand. Thanks. That’s made my mind up

Register Sign in to join the conversation