Other Equipment

A better capo

I had the same issue with the Kyser on most guitars. The Dunlop Trigger capo is similar but doesn't put the strings out of tune for me.

D'Addario / Planet Waves makes many styles of capos at reasonable prices. The Tri-action or Artist might be to your liking: http://www.planetwaves.com/...

I have a ton of capos (G7, shubbs, Dunlop / Planet waves, Thalia etc...) and I really like the tiny Paige capo, though the current version looks a bit different. https://paigecapo.com/origi... I've read good things about their newer clik series: https://paigecapo.com/origi...

Ummm...no? I don't know where you got that idea, Elliott has different radii and widths available. If your guitars have a great variation in widths and radii, you'd need a capo for each guitar, yes. Their market is mostly acoustic players and bluegrass in particular, so I think a capo that fits a D28 is probably their biggest seller.

But I've tried them on a couple of acoustics, and don't ask me what they differently than anyone else, but I was very impressed. Guitar rings out on open chords as if there was no capo at all, extreme clarity and precision.

– WB

I understand that they have all the common radii and neck widths available but I certainly wouldn't pay for a capo for each guitar just to accommodate a different radius.

The beauty of the Thalia is that it's wide enough to extend across the fretboard for my Super Chet's, Gibson Gent & Ovation's wider necks - two with a thin neck and the other thicker - but more importantly, it comes with a collection, 2 collections actually, of different radii inserts. They're both the same group of radii, but one collection is thicker than the other to accommodate thinner necks, so the pressure is always sufficient. In other words, you can have the perfect fit for any guitar with one capo. Changing inserts only takes seconds.

Seems like the G7 is the favorite here, with some holdouts for the Shubb and a couple others. Not interested in the Thalia, which seems to favor form over function. I was in a band with a guy who liked the G7. I guess I could try that and the Shubb, and return the one that doesn't do it for me.

I don't use capos all the time, but I've been playing a lot of open tunings lately, and I get tired of hearing everything in D. Ease of key change and tuning stability are my primary requirements. The Keyser does the first well, and my Planet Waves does the second well, but neither does both.

I have two of these... Trouble is, I have no idea what the brand is. There`s no label or engraving on either one, and the packaging bit the dust back about the turn of the Century.

Theyve been on my Takamines forever. I like them because theyve been excellent at putting pressure on the smaller string in each pair. That can be a pain with the ubiquitous Keyser-style capo.

Plus, I can change key mid-song if I do it right!!

Maybe someone here can revive a name for them...?

– Kevin Frye

This looks amazing. I’m gonna hunt one down!

I’ve always thought capos were evil tools. Never used one, then yesterday I sat down to learn “Landslide” by Stevie Nicks and thought dang I could use a capo. I remembered I had one, so I tore the house apart looking for it. Then I remembered I gave it away to Goodwill. So I went back and learnd the song without the capo.

I've four different Shubbs that get used for playing and a Keyser that I use when re-stringing.

Got a Thalia from my Dad as a gift. Matches the beautiful burst finish on my ASAT. Fits that one like a glove. Doesn't work so great on rest of the herd. I don't fool with changing pads and the thing is a bit bulky. And, ai-yi-yi! ... price is steep so prolly wouldn't get it for myself. But my Dad has since passed so this one is special.

Got a Planet Wave that I don't use, a Keyser that works on some and a handful of Shubbs. Overall favorite? The little brass Shubbs. Adjustable tension, handy, small, doesn't get in the way and affordable so I can have a couple laying around.

I have never fully understood the appeal of the Kyzer capo. I think that it looks pretty distracting to see someone playing their guitar with a capo where the arms are standing up high above the lines of the fretboard. And then many people clamp them to the headstock when it is not in use. That looks even worse, in my opinion.

YMMV.

Funny...the Planet Waves style you don't like is one of my favorites! (I've got the D'Addario model).

I also have one of the G7th push on type capos (1st generation) and I like it a lot, too.

Also have a G7th Nashville style capo, and it is the one I would use if I was looking for "speedy" position changes.

My least favorite capo is the Thalia 2nd generation that I own....it is BEAUTIFUL, but it is very difficult to use (hard to open/close/get on the neck) and it is heavy, and it doesn't keep my tuning any better than the D'Addario or the G7th, But it sure looks pretty every time I open my drawer and see it.

If I were recommending one to you (and, there is no reason you should consider my recommendation as holding any real value) I would recommend the G7th Performance 2.

How about this one?

Problem is it is really huge.

And, yes, I do have one.

At 1:17 in this clip, Tommy Emmanuel demonstrates the advantage of a Kyser (or similar) capo . . .

Add a noth next to the long list of voters for the G7th Performance 2.

Some people here recommended it and I know why. fast, relaible, easy to determine the pressure

Yes! I finally purchased the G7 capo and I'm really enjoying it. Used it in the video I posted in the "Your Tunes" section the other day

Register Sign in to join the conversation