Other Equipment

A better capo

I'm looking for a better capo. I like my Planet Waves capo, but it's annoying to screw/unscrew everytime I want to change keys. I bought the Keyser capo for ease of use, but it squeezes the strings so hard it goes out of tune. Looking for something like the Keyser that has less (or adjustable) pressure.

I see it as a "Grass is greener on the other side" issue.

I use Kyser and have played the Planet Waves capo and like it for everything the Kyser doesn't do, like give you more bell like tones once clamped down.

I don't know about a better capo but I like my Shubbs. They have adjustable tension too.

Shubb's are good . Quick deployment and as mentioned adjustable tension so you don't go out of tune.

I use kysers too but mostly on my electrics like my tennessean which has a slender neck.

I really wanted to like the Keyser, it's so easy to clamp on and off, and I can store it on the headstock wheni don't need it. I tried to retension the spring, but it's still too tight.

I have two of these... Trouble is, I have no idea what the brand is. There`s no label or engraving on either one, and the packaging bit the dust back about the turn of the Century.

Theyve been on my Takamines forever. I like them because theyve been excellent at putting pressure on the smaller string in each pair. That can be a pain with the ubiquitous Keyser-style capo.

Plus, I can change key mid-song if I do it right!!

Maybe someone here can revive a name for them...?

I’ve got a Planet Waves capo similar to this PW capo (it’s an earlier version) and really like it. And know others who really like them as well.

I do want to try a G7 capo, though I’m yet to buy one.

The G7th capos are the best IMHO. No need to retune when put on the guitar and very well made. I love and trust mine.

G7th. I have 2, no tuning issues at all.

I recently tried several capos. Ended up with G7th. Best capo I have used.

G7 capos are great. I use them and have several. And the people who run the company are really good folk.

Received a G7th as a Chrismas gift. Works like a charm, easy to set, easy to remove, no detuning.

I have two of these... Trouble is, I have no idea what the brand is. There`s no label or engraving on either one, and the packaging bit the dust back about the turn of the Century.

Theyve been on my Takamines forever. I like them because theyve been excellent at putting pressure on the smaller string in each pair. That can be a pain with the ubiquitous Keyser-style capo.

– Kevin Frye

That is a Glider capo. I think Greg Bennett sold them

The hardest part of finding the right capo is getting one that matches your fingerboard radius. They all seem to be some average of all radius’s (radii ?) and don’t clamp all the strings evenly. Is it time for Proteus to devise a capo to rule them all?

I think Thalia capos have exchangeable rubber pads to match for different fingerboard radiuses.

Edit: yes, they have multiple fretpads

https://www.thaliacapos.com...

Wow, a lot of these capos are pretty dear. I guess you get what you pay for.

As Jukka mentioned, Thalia's come with a set of interchangeable radius pads and a wild array of finishes. I have one in abalone which nicely matches the abalone on my Super Chet. I also have my old standby Shubb which is still going strong.

I've used Shubb for over 20 years and still do, great capos.

If money is not a factor, and you want the best capo money can buy, get an Elliott capo. It's what the bluegrass pros use, and for good reason.

I like the idea of the Elliot having the minimum material above the fretboard, like the Shubb but I have different neck widths, radii and neck profiles and the Thalia covers them all. It would appear that the Elliot is for one fixed radius and just the standard width, no? One capo wouldn't fit all my parameters.

Although not an issue for most, I'm not sure it would easily adapt to my Synchro's asymmetric neck shape.

I don't often use a capo. My first, years ago, was one of those elastic band types---sometimes it worked, but it was fiddly.

I've had good luck with an inexpensive Dunlop.

I like the idea of the Elliot having the minimum material above the fretboard, like the Shubb but I have different neck widths, radii and neck profiles and the Thalia covers them all. It would appear that the Elliot is for one fixed radius and just the standard width, no? One capo wouldn't fit all my parameters.

Although not an issue for most, I'm not sure it would easily adapt to my Synchro's asymmetric neck shape.

– Windsordave

Ummm...no? I don't know where you got that idea, Elliott has different radii and widths available. If your guitars have a great variation in widths and radii, you'd need a capo for each guitar, yes. Their market is mostly acoustic players and bluegrass in particular, so I think a capo that fits a D28 is probably their biggest seller.

But I've tried them on a couple of acoustics, and don't ask me what they differently than anyone else, but I was very impressed. Guitar rings out on open chords as if there was no capo at all, extreme clarity and precision.

A friend bought me a Thalia as a gift. Expertly crafted, a thing of beauty, that I never use unless my friends around. It's just to bulky, and my hand bumps it whereas I never notice my Shubb at all.

I use a G7th performance 2, though I'm a bit interested in the Thalia's.

– Kevin Frye

That's a Glider Capo.

http://www.glidercapo.com/

Register Sign in to join the conversation