Other Equipment

2 questions

Hello all, I have two questions: 1. Aside from the black dynasonic risers available from TV Jones for $2, are there any other risers on the market? I've had no luck finding anything...

1. Thinking about fabricating my own. Would anyone here at the GDP be interested in trying/buying some if I go forward? I'm going to do it for myself regardless, but just scanning to see if there's any interest. Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Paul Setzer might make them. I know he does pick guards, so risers aren't much of a stretch from there. What's wrong with the TV Jones versions?

Paul Setzer has done many Dyna risers-- black, tortoise shell, etc.

Paul Setzer might make them. I know he does pick guards, so risers aren't much of a stretch from there. What's wrong with the TV Jones versions?

– wabash slim

Good to know. Nothing wrong with the TV risers, I just noticed they only came in black, and I want to raise my bridge pickup, so I thought it would be really subtle and cool to fabricate my own from one of the many 3 ply strat pickguards I have. I was gonna take a mint/black/mint guard, so when you look down there's just that little detail under the pickup.

I guess my next question would be what the best tool is to cut a 3 ply fender pickguard?

I thought it would be really subtle and cool to fabricate my own from one of the many 3 ply strat pickguards I have. I was gonna take a mint/black/mint guard, so when you look down there's just that little detail under the pickup.

Gretsch did something similar in the 1950s.

The great thing about the TV Jones Dynasonic risers are they are made of foam, not plastic. I installed one on my bridge pickup and the foam allows you to fine tune your height adjustment.

He's also made me some Hi Lo risers, essential for getting That Great Gretsch Sound out of Hi Los. .. where distance between poles and strings approaches zero.

They're all different though. Only the newer Gretsch risers have the part that keeps their Dynasonics from falling out of the metal cover. The cast covers have the holes spaced slightly different from the stamped covers, the Fender DeArmond risers are completely different from all the others, and the none of them are like the real 50's DeArmond risers. In other words, they have to match your particular pickups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation