Other Amps

Yet another 5E3 clone!

I finished my Trinity 5E3 clone today.

I have been a blackface/silverface guy for the last 30+ years--I like my big, sparkly clean tones, so this is a departure. This amp is loud (for 15 watts)and has a good deal of gritty attitude. It may take some getting used to!

It was fun project and I highly recommend the company. The kit arrived as well packed and shipped as anything I've ever received. Quality parts and good support, too--including a 65 page guide with schematics and layout.

So nice! Cool that you made it yourself! Was it pretty complex? Could a novice attempt it?

Well, it couldn't be too hard, because I did it. I have no electronics training at all. I can't even read a schematic! I just followed the layout. It's my second build (I built a blackface Princeton Reverb copy this summer, but I had help from an experienced builder). This is the first one I did on my own. Took me about 15-20 hours or so, and I'm very slow.

You can get the kit with eyelet board assembled, and then you've just got to install and wire pots, sockets, etc. I assembled the board, too, but had Trinity build the cabinet.

With a bit of free time, you could definitely do it!

Register Sign in to join the conversation